Credit where credit's due

fenway

It pains me a little to write this, because (I hate to admit), its sometimes mindlessly fun to dislike things. Its certainly easier to dislike than to like - you put yourself out there when you say you like something.

Anyway... I thought the Clone Saga had (for the first time in almost 'ever') some interesting parts. For the first time in ages, I felt like BMB wasn't just mailing it in.... and the Ultimate Knights arc? Loved it. I wish they'd make a series out of that team, and had someone like Brubaker write it. Now 'Death of a Goblin'? Awesome.

I enjoyed jumping all over the schlock that was USM from about the 40's to the late 90's (the Deadpools, the gag issues, the Oy-fest)... so now I have to admit that I'm more than just enjoying this. It is one of my monthly favourites. Maybe THE favourite!

Good work, Bendis - This feels like when the series started. Immomen was a tremendous addition!

I can only hope that Ultimates 3 surprises me similarly

or UIM part 2
or Ultimate Power #9
or Ultimatum... :(

No - I can't end it with a facetious sarcastic remark.

Good job, Bendis ( <--- NOT sarcastic! Really! :) )

It pains me a little to write this, because (I hate to admit), its sometimes mindlessly fun to dislike things. Its certainly easier to dislike than to like - you put yourself out there when you say you like something.

Anyway... I thought the Clone Saga had (for the first time in almost 'ever') some interesting parts. For the first time in ages, I felt like BMB wasn't just mailing it in.... and the Ultimate Knights arc? Loved it. I wish they'd make a series out of that team, and had someone like Brubaker write it. Now 'Death of a Goblin'? Awesome.

I enjoyed jumping all over the schlock that was USM from about the 40's to the late 90's (the Deadpools, the gag issues, the Oy-fest)... so now I have to admit that I'm more than just enjoying this. It is one of my monthly favourites. Maybe THE favourite!

Good work, Bendis - This feels like when the series started. Immomen was a tremendous addition!

I can only hope that Ultimates 3 surprises me similarly

or UIM part 2
or Ultimate Power #9
or Ultimatum... :(

No - I can't end it with a facetious sarcastic remark.

Good job, Bendis ( <--- NOT sarcastic! Really! :) )

I agree to a point, except I though the Clone Saga might have been the lowest point this book has seen.

I liked Knights and Death of a Goblin is good so far (I think I'm a couple of issues behind) And I do agree that the 40s-90s issues were pretty sucky, with a few exceptions.

I've said it once and I'll say it again - Bendis is one of my favorite writers. But when he's bad, he's terrible - almost unreadable. That's why it bothers me so much when I read **** like the Clone Saga. I've read his Alias and Daredevil and New Avengers - I KNOW he's a better writer than that.

I agree fully, too.

I thought Bendis was an incredible writer when I first started picking up USM. I never read anything other than UU and that's still true today... But blah blah.

Ok, I'm just gonna say I agree. I don't wanna think right now.

Death of the Goblin is the best arc the title's seen in years. I am legitimately excited to get my spidey comics again, which is happy-making.

I disagree with everything you say, Fenway.

But I don't care about your USM opinions - hell, I've not read any of the Immonen stuff so I wouldn't know.

*I* disagree that it's easier to dislike than it is to like. :D

I think it's much easier to like something because pleasure is always desirable and self-fulfilling, while displeasure is always something people strive to avoid. So, there. :D

Target Acquired

DrStrangefate_CA.gif

I disagree with everything you say, Fenway.

But I don't care about your USM opinions - hell, I've not read any of the Immonen stuff so I wouldn't know.

*I* disagree that it's easier to dislike than it is to like. :D

I think it's much easier to like something because pleasure is always desirable and self-fulfilling, while displeasure is always something people strive to avoid. So, there. :D

Well, it wasn't easy, but I disagree with this!

(dammit - maybe he's right!! :) )

Last edited:
I agree to a point, except I though the Clone Saga might have been the lowest point this book has seen.

I liked Knights and Death of a Goblin is good so far (I think I'm a couple of issues behind) And I do agree that the 40s-90s issues were pretty sucky, with a few exceptions.

I've said it once and I'll say it again - Bendis is one of my favorite writers. But when he's bad, he's terrible - almost unreadable. That's why it bothers me so much when I read **** like the Clone Saga. I've read his Alias and Daredevil and New Avengers - I KNOW he's a better writer than that.
I honestly think he just tackles too much.

He's a very ambitious writer, and I think some of his ideas don't pan together very well. some of his best stories could have easily been totally ****ed up by a worse writer.

Latest posts

Back