Crossover and Over Again

ourchair

Paul O'Brien on Ninth Art takes an even handed look at the upcoming crossover events of Marvel and DC, and why they just might be a sign that industy logic is maturing:

http://www.ninthart.com/display.php?article=1013

Here's an excerpt:
Line-wide crossovers have gone hugely out of fashion in recent years. Marvel haven't done one since MAXIMUM SECURITY, and that was five years ago. Off the top of my head, I can't even remember the last DC effort. It's hard to say that we've missed the things. And even the dumbest publishers seemed to at least recognise that they caused an awful problem with trade paperbacks. So what changed? Why go back to them?

Three main reasons, I suspect.

Number one, Marvel and DC have always had a firm motto of, 'Never waste time coming up with a new idea when you can recycle an old one'. Both companies have a little cupboard of concepts and strategies that never really work, but that keep getting wheeled out every few years on the grounds that they've had a rest, and it might work this time. It's been a while since we've had major crossovers. If you work from the assumption that they were never a bad idea in the first place, merely overexposed and badly done, then you might take the view that we've had a rest from them, the audience has detoxified, and the time is ripe to give this excellent device another shot.
Interesting piece for discussion, I say.

If you work from the assumption that they were never a bad idea in the first place, merely overexposed and badly done, then you might take the view that we've had a rest from them, the audience has detoxified, and the time is ripe to give this excellent device another shot.

I think the fact that the Ultimate line exists at all is proof of this.

Pandrio said:
Yeah, I was thinking that when I read it.
I hate crossovers. But I think O'Brien raised an interesting circumstantial point. Too bad the Big Two went ahead and overexposed crossovers just when the audience had recovered from the nineties. I guess you can't expect upper management to learn THAT well.

Latest posts

Back