Darwinism in Comics

ourchair

Lee Nordling writes for Silver Bullet Comic Books on "Darwinism in Comics" by taking some of Joe Quesada's statements and exploring the world of editorial ethics and standards within the mainstream comic book industry.

http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/soapbox/99661462360463.htm

I think it's an interesting piece for discussion, especially those who are interested in the day-to-day decision making process of editorial teams in mainstream comics. Either that or I'm just here posting another over-intellectualizing article that no one wants to read.

Here's an excerpt:
There is a very well-known editor at DC, who used to have a pretty good reputation, certainly for the books he produced, who's now the worst of the worst...reputation-wise...because he has unnecessarily destroyed lives. He has done it, not to make his books better, but simply to surround himself with talent he trusts and/or has a previous relationship with. That is the growing inside/outside industry perception of him...and his reputation is justifiably sinking fast.

Again, referring back to #1 above, it's too far beyond this editor's skills to gain trust from the talent he inherited. Instead, he trusts his Rolodex, and soon, all he will have is that Rolodex.

There are editors reading this last point who likely feel that it is their prerogative to hire and fire, for whatever reason they decide...but that is simply the result of the cultures within the DC and Marvel offices, cultures that must change. The culture is a sickness that's rooted in misplaced empowerment...and it's killing the body that's called comics. Again, I quote: "It's a question of ethics."

i get what there saying...but what can ya do when all you see are green dollar bills in your eyes?

nigma said:
i get what there saying...but what can ya do when all you see are green dollar bills in your eyes?
Honestly, I wouldn't think that's a fair assessment of Quesada or all editors in general.

As much as we'd like to blame the ills of the comic book industry or any other entertainment industry in general on "money-minded bastards", I think that this is really just symptomatic of editors refusal to see themselves as responsible for anything that damages the industry.

I don't think Quesada is an exploitative money-grubbing monster, I think he's really just another guy who like all of us, makes moronic decisions but keeps seeing himself as blameless.

4/4/05

ourchair said:
I don't think Quesada is an exploitative money-grubbing monster, I think he's really just another guy who like all of us, makes moronic decisions but keeps seeing himself as blameless.

Now thats funny...nothing like a good laugh at 5 am in the morning!!

Latest posts

Back