DC Cinematic Universe - Upcoming Films

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
So it was just reported we will be seeing a Batman/Superman crossover film in 2015, from reports pertaining to SDCC:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/BatFreak/news/?a=83734

Also, we can expect a Flash movie in 2016, all leading up to Justice League in 2017:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=83738

This is exciting. Glad we're getting an introduction to the new Batman in a crossover film with Superman, that should hopefully push the character to his limits and show what he's capable of.

Also glad they're taking a sort of Marvel approach and focusing on doing a few solo/minor crossover films before the big team film. And very glad they're holding off on Justice League until 2017, as the previous rumors of them rushing it out for 2015 would have resulted in a rushed and not well balanced or thought out film, in my opinion.

Flash should be interesting. But obviously Justice League is the creme de la creme, the big team film the currently in production DC films will build up to.

1374355746.jpg

I wonder if that's to imply that it's related to the Nolan Batman trilogy...

It has nothing to do with the Nolan trilogy. It's a reboot, it's just drawing influence from the Batman/Superman antagonistic relationship in that comic book.

Oh come on, lets not resort to the nose in the air, fanboy response.

Totally called this would be how they reboot Batman.

You're like my mini-Me. But hairier.

Yes. Also, you do realize its only influenced by the comic (supposedly), not titled that or anything (a title hasn't been decided yet), right?

I really hope that this isn't a clue that they plan on connecting this to the Nolan-verse, and have Batman coming out of retirement. That said, I'd probably be ok with it regardless, considering how exciting this sounds.

Hopefully they get Wonder Woman and a new Green Lantern going eventually.

Yes. Also, you do realize its only influenced by the comic (supposedly), not titled that or anything (a title hasn't been decided yet), right?

Yeah. But since the main point of the story is about Batman coming out of retirement, I just sort of figured that that would be a part of the movie.

Yeah. But since the main point of the story is about Batman coming out of retirement, I just sort of figured that that would be a part of the movie.

Are you screwing with me? I honestly can't tell.

But no, the influence from TDKR I'm pretty sure only pertains to the Batman/Superman antagonistic relationship (least early on, I'm sure it develops into a begrudging partnership and trust by movie's end) that's displayed in the comic. I doubt it's going to be about Batman coming out of retirement, since the Batman will be younger, probably early or just beginning his career.

The more I think about it...the more I hate this. I'm not trying to be that disapproving fanboy who hates everything right away, but this just feels like a cheap pop to quell the fanboy crowd at SDCC cuz their flagship franchises are in question.

One just had a noncanon trilogy just end...and the other has the hero so out of character Mark Waid had an out-of-body experience.

No major announcement...just a cheap image thrown together (and they had to be sure not to use Nolan's version of the logo) with the news that Snyder would be involved.

Cheap.

The more I think about it...the more I hate this. I'm not trying to be that disapproving fanboy who hates everything right away, but this just feels like a cheap pop to quell the fanboy crowd at SDCC cuz their flagship franchises are in question.

One just had a noncanon trilogy just end...and the other has the hero so out of character Mark Waid had an out-of-body experience.

No major announcement...just a cheap image thrown together (and they had to be sure not to use Nolan's version of the logo) with the news that Snyder would be involved.

Cheap.

Are you against the idea of a Batman/Superman team up movie, or just against the announcement not being substantial enough?

Are you against the idea of a Batman/Superman team up movie, or just against the announcement not being substantial enough?

I'm not against a "World's Finest" movie at all.

I'm against this announcement. I didn't need details either. I just think this was to placate the fanboy critics who were angered by the idea of another 5yr wait between Batman films and the "neckbreaking criticism".

I'm not against a "World's Finest" movie at all.

I'm against this announcement. I didn't need details either. I just think this was to placate the fanboy critics who were angered by the idea of another 5yr wait between Batman films and the "neckbreaking criticism".

I guess I'm just not sure exactly what you mean. By being against the announcement, do you mean you are against this film at this point in time, or just that the SDCC announcement wasn't well done? i'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm legitimately not 100% sure what you mean.

While I would prefer a MOS sequel that focuses only on Superman, I think having Batman in the sequel is a pretty shrewd move. WB pretty much guarantees that this is bigger than MOS, and they establish a Batman before JL. Needless to say, they do so without having to make a solo Batman movie at this time, saving them time and money. I do think the announcement was a bit underwhelming. At least it was something though, and hopefully there's much more in the weeks to come. While showing up big at SDCC is cool and all, I don't think it's that important really for the success of a movie. None of the Dark Knight movies really did anything there, after all.

I guess I'm just not sure exactly what you mean. By being against the announcement, do you mean you are against this film at this point in time, or just that the SDCC announcement wasn't well done? i'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm legitimately not 100% sure what you mean.

While I would prefer a MOS sequel that focuses only on Superman, I think having Batman in the sequel is a pretty shrewd move. WB pretty much guarantees that this is bigger than MOS, and they establish a Batman before JL. Needless to say, they do so without having to make a solo Batman movie at this time, saving them time and money. I do think the announcement was a bit underwhelming. At least it was something though, and hopefully there's much more in the weeks to come. While showing up big at SDCC is cool and all, I don't think it's that important really for the success of a movie. None of the Dark Knight movies really did anything there, after all.

I guess I mean that the announcement is hollow and doesn't mean anything. To me it comes off as a symbolic "here's some candy now shut up" gesture from DC/WB.

If you look at it from a DC/WB as a parent and the fans as petulant kids standpoint, I see a company who can't help but hear the online gripes and reviews from MOS and the burning questions of "now that Nolan's Batman is finished, how/when will you introduce a new Bats into the DC universe to tie into a JL movie that we're clamoring for?" So rather than tune out the gripes anymore they're more like "here's some damn candy now shut up!" kinda way.

Considering the movie business depends almost entirely on pleasing film goers, I'm not sure you've made a valid point, VVD.

How is this announcement inherently any different from Marvel's Avengers announcement (other than Marvel did the universe building film concept first)?

We knew DC/WB were taking a page out of Marvel's cohesive film universe book, we knew they planned on building towards a team film in Justice League, and we knew they planned to introduce a new Batman. This was a surprise as it does all those things but instead of introducing Batman in his own solo film, we're getting a team-up/versus film for the characters, which opens up the possibility of great dialogue and action between the two (again, since they're using Miller's The Dark Knight Returns as a blue print in their relationship). It's a nice differentiation from the Marvel "solo films then team film" formula, and gives fans something they've been wanting to see for a very long time.

Latest posts

Back