DC Extended Universe / DC Universe - Timeline

I try to not look at corporate's impression of a long-finished film that pessimistically. That idea seems solely based on very recent fandom reaction.
There was no predicting how the box office would turn out until now. If they knew it was going to fail and put it out aways and lied to the fans, well, can you prove that?
How are they lying to fans? Nowhere has Gunn said for certain the movie ends in his DCU. In fact, he recently said that Blue Beetle was the first DCU character audiences would meet. Chances are Miller, Momoa (as Arthur, could be Lobo), Gadot, and
Clooney
aren't a part of the DCU.

If The Flash was successful, maybe he would have incorporated it but the movie ended in a way he doesn't have to.

How are they lying to fans? Nowhere has Gunn said for certain the movie ends in his DCU. In fact, he recently said that Blue Beetle was the first DCU character audiences would meet. Chances are Miller, Momoa (as Arthur, could be Lobo), Gadot, and
Clooney

If The Flash was successful, maybe he would have incorporated it but the movie ended in a way he doesn't have to.
I wasn't arguing that they were lying to fans. That was my reading of your reasoning.

Clooney

Also, I need to find the Instagram comment but Gunn basically disproved this claim within the past few days.

It wasn't a "recent" Instagram comment. It was from a while ago. The point was that he absolutely would be lying if The Flash doesn't end in the DCU.View attachment 1130
Like I said, this comment wouldn't be a lie. He's not rebooting the DCEU 100% like the comment he replied to suggests because he's continuing characters from his work in the DCEU like Peacemaker and The Suicide Squad. That doesn't mean actors like Miller, Momoa, and Gadot are also going to get carried over.

He literally said that Flash resets things...
Things can be reset without Barry ending up in the DCU at the end. I seriously doubt
Clooney is used more than a fun Easter egg. Gunn's tweeted an "absolutely not" response when discussing Clooney as the DCU's Batman. Which if he is would be a lie.

Things can be reset without Barry ending up in the DCU at the end. I seriously doubt
Clooney is used more than a fun Easter egg. Gunn's tweeted an "absolutely not" response when discussing Clooney as the DCU's Batman. Which if he is would be a lie.
One has to be a lie then, because he outright states the Flash creates the DCU timeline, and the only timeline it could be is the ending. So, either that's a lie, or the Batman stuff was a lie. Or, both are true from a certain point of view. We won't know for a while.

If the DCU is Post-Flashpoint DCEU
then Momoa is still Aquaman, right?

One has to be a lie then, because he outright states the Flash creates the DCU timeline, and the only timeline it could be is the ending. So, either that's a lie, or the Batman stuff was a lie. Or, both are true from a certain point of view. We won't know for a while.
He said it resets things. Not that it necessarily creates the DCU timeline. I still feel like right now he's giving us PR bullshit. He's not going to come out and announce a new Flash or Aquaman while those characters still have/had upcoming movies coming out. Cavill and Affleck were clearly out with no upcoming projects (sans Affleck small role in The Flash) so nothing's lost by announcing his new plans for those characters. But, I guess we'll see.

If the DCU is Post-Flashpoint DCEU
then Momoa is still Aquaman, right?
I don't think he is. Especially if Aquaman 2 is as bad as test screenings have been saying. I feel like the credit scene placing him in this new universe with Clooney was to confirm it's separate from the DCU and will take place there. Not the other way around.

Barry's time travel to 2015 changed the past and future again so that Darkseid fought in the past? Isn't Darkseid and Steppenwolf, like, multiversal? One in the multiverse? Hmm... makes more sense to me if Justice League happened in a different universe and Steppenwolf from that world gets killed a few months later in Zack Snyder's Justice League perhaps.

If anything, Keaton's timeline could have absorbed some of those other two films' history on his Earth to generalize that whole anthology.
Funny enough, this film doesn't really contradict those at all seeing as how it's all a Flashpoint Timeline version. They might as well have had Earth-89 include the Burton/Schumacher films, The Flash be a Flashpoint amalgamation of Earth-1 and Earth-89 and the ending be a mostly fixed Earth-1 with the Clooney replacement being a leftover from Flashpoint. Then put Batman '89 as a separate continuity with, say, the comic adaptations on Earth-789 so that it's not irrelevant (there's no Superman: The Movie/Superman II adaptations though).

If we ever get Joel Schumacher's Batman Forever, I think it would do a better job bridging Batman Returns and Batman & Robin narratively, between the duality of Batman explored, the Danny Elfman score (they'd probably cut that though), and the references to Batman being a murderer.

But alas, we live in a world where Earth-97 is commonly accepted canon.
Earth-89 = Batman I-II
Earth-97 = Batman III-IV.

Last edited:
Apparently that's not Teddy Sears or John Weslsy Shipp in The Flash. It's a randomly generated Golden Age Flash. For simplicity I think it's cooler if it's a young version of Earth-2 Jay Garrick.

(there's no Superman: The Movie/Superman II adaptations though)

Apparently that's not Teddy Sears or John Weslsy Shipp in The Flash. It's a randomly generated Golden Age Flash. For simplicity I think it's cooler if it's a young version of Earth-2 Jay Garrick.
https://theroughcutpod.com/the-flash/ I regularly listen to this podcast on film editing. The recent episode has an interview with the movie's 2 editors. They reveal the director needed a real person 's face for Jay Garrick. So it's one of them. Editor Jason Ballantine.

I think the idea was for a fictional tv show the Flash in the 50s that never existed. It's black and white in the same sphere with George Reeves. But I agree I would like to think it's Jay Garrick on Earth 2 in his younger years. In a season 8 episode of The Flash Jay said when he first time traveled he fought Nazis and over the course of 16 years live on and off in the past. This was produced and aired after John Wesley Shipp's first Stargirl episode. All but saying the two characters were one and the same. For anyone who ever doubted it. [/SPOILERS]

That is totally inaccurate information. I own that. It was published in 1978 when the first movie came out. It's giant size magazine with information about the making of the movie and the cast. It's not a comic or comic book adaptation at all. There was never a comic book adaptation of Superman I or II. Nor a novelization because it was part of original screenwriter Mario Puzo's contract that there would never be one. I am assuming because he was a very successful novel writer - The Godfather. That he was worried his name would be used to sell books and comics he did not actually write himself. It's the same reason it was decades before the names Ursa and Non were used in the comics or media. It's still rare. DC probably has to pay his family/estate anytime they do. So they use substitute characters who are similar.

Last edited:
That is totally inaccurate information. I own that. It was published in 1978 when the first movie came out. It's giant size magazine with information about the making of the movie and the cast. It's not a comic or comic book adaptation at all. There was never a comic book adaptation of Superman I or II. Nor a novelization because it was part of original screenwriter Mario Puzo's contract that there would never be one. I am assuming because he was a very successful novel writer - The Godfather. That he was worried his name would be used to sell books and comics he did not actually write himself. It's the same reason it was decades before the names Ursa and Non were used in the comics or media. It's still rare. DC probably has to pay his family/estate anything they do. So they use substitute characters who are similar.
Didn't know that, sorry. Haven't read it myself, just read about it. Thanks for clearing that up!

https://theroughcutpod.com/the-flash/ I regularly listen to this podcast on film editing. The recent episode has an interview with the movie's 2 editors. They reveal the director needed a real person 's face for Jay Garrick. So it's one of them. Editor Jason Ballantine.

I think the idea was for a fictional tv show the Flash in the 50s that never existed. It's black and white in the same sphere with George Reeves. But I agree I would like to think it's Jay Garrick on Earth 2 in his younger years. In a season 8 episode of The Flash Jay said when he first time traveled he fought Nazis and over the course of 16 years live on and off in the past. This was produced and aired after John Wesley Shipp's first Stargirl episode. All but saying the two characters were one and the same. For anyone who ever doubted it. [/SPOILERS]
Jay Garrick's timeline is kinda weird, but I get it because he's so experienced that he hops from time period to time period to another Earth to another time period from it.

1.) Earth-2's Present Day (young Jay?)
2.) Earth-2's 1940s --> joins the JSA and lives there for 16 years
3.) Time jumps with the JSA to sometime before December 2010, after the death of Eclipso's original host
4.) Goes into hiding on Earth-Prime between 2010 and 2015 (unaffected by the neurological pre-Crisis doppelgänger disease since he was restored on an Earth post-Crisis)
5.) Jumps to Earth-Prime's future (2049) after the events of season 7
6.) Briefly visits Earth-2's 2031 to get Shade and the JSA's help against an unknown enemy (on Earth-Prime? Chronarch?)

I guess this gives some indication of what James Gunn has planned, since 1.) None of the Harley Quinn / Suicide Squad films and 2.) It's officially called the DC Extended Universe in this set.

EDIT: I'm dumb. They excluded the R-rated films plus 2016's Suicide Squad probably to release as its own set. They're keep the PG-13 stuff (including PG-13 cuts) in this set exclusively. In other words, nothing new. Just another Bluray set.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back