DC Extended Universe - News & Rumors

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
We have one for the MCU, only proper to have one for the DCCU, and it's only right to kick it off with a BANG!.

Nikki Finke, formally of Deadline Hollywood, has finally launched her self-titled site, where one of her first exclusives possibly reveals all the big-screen DC Comics adaptations that Warner Bros. has in the pipeline and plans to announce at San Diego Comic-Con next month. According to Finke's sources, the Zack Snyder-directed Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice will be followed-up by "Shazam (July 2016), Sandman (Christmas 2016), Justice League (May 2017), Wonder Woman (July 2017), Flash/Green Lantern team-up (Christmas 2017), and Man of Steel 2 (May 2018)."

Now this may be off base, but I expect Nikki Finke, who has plenty of experience and sources at Deadline, wouldn't kick off her own site's career with a shaky source.

And man, is this interesting. We knew about Justice League, and Sandman we knew was being worked on (though I didn't know it was being included in the DCCU).

But Shazam, Wonder Woman, Flash/Green Lantern team up film, and MOS 2 is all news, and all welcome news at that.

Re: DC Cinematic Universe - News & Rumors

I think we should call it DC Film Universe

Last edited:

I want to believe it. The only thing that makes me wonder if this is true is that I can't see them not having a Batman movie in the works within 4-5 years.

I dunno. It seems probable that they may not see a need for another batman yet. He's going to be in Batman v Superman and Justice League already. It's not like he won't be getting screen time. I'm extremely interested in the Green Lantern/Flash movie though.

I dunno. It seems probable that they may not see a need for another batman yet. He's going to be in Batman v Superman and Justice League already. It's not like he won't be getting screen time. I'm extremely interested in the Green Lantern/Flash movie though.

That true. I just thought I had heard that Affleck was signed on to star in solo Batman films. I also have a hard time picturing an actor of Affleck's status signing on to do the part, if he's not going to get his own solo franchise. This is of course just speculation on my part. I'd be more than happy with those films though, and it shows that WB is taking their properties seriously. Seems like they are doing a "reverse Marvel" (using a big team up movie to spring board solo franchises). That's shrewd, and not a terrible idea.

I'd prefer a solo Green Lantern film and Flash film, before any team up, but it's certainly nice to see WB going beyond just Batman and Superman.

Exactly. And he'll be playing a starring/large co-starring role in each.

That true. I just thought I had heard that Affleck was signed on to star in solo Batman films. I also have a hard time picturing an actor of Affleck's status signing on to do the part, if he's not going to get his own solo franchise. This is of course just speculation on my part. I'd be more than happy with those films though, and it shows that WB is taking their properties seriously. Seems like they are doing a "reverse Marvel" (using a big team up movie to spring board solo franchises). That's shrewd, and not a terrible idea. I'd prefer a solo Green Lantern film and Flash film, before any team up, but it's certainly nice to see WB going beyond just Batman and Superman.

I have a feeling a solo Batman film will happen, after JL, likely in 2017/2018.

After all, these dates and films are only rumors as of now. I wouldn't put it past WB to still have a few surprises up their sleeve come Comic Con.

Kevin Smith confirmed the film list or something. I know he confirmed something. I'm too lazy to get a link or find out whatever it was I said there.

Last edited:

Yeah that! I just can't get excited for any of these. The last live-action DC film I enjoyed was Batman & Robin and that was a "so bad it's good" enjoyment. Last good one for me was Batman Returns and that came out in 1992. I don't trust any of the people involved either. I don't mean to be a downer but I just can't see anything I like about this. ESPECIALLY the prioritizing Billy Batson over Wonder Woman.

Last edited:
Yeah that! I just can't get excited for any of these. The last live-action DC film I enjoyed was Batman & Robin and that was a "so bad it's good" enjoyment. Last good one for me was Batman Returns and that came out in 1992. I don't trust any of the people involved either. I don't mean to be a downer but I just can't see anything I like about this. ESPECIALLY the prioritizing Billy Batson over Wonder Woman.

So the guy who loves Ultimates 3 and the Ultimate Hulk Annual didn't like Nolan's Batman trilogy...? Not really surprising, at all.

Can we just change your name to Contrarian so it's obvious to newcomers?

And Batman & Robin wasn't "so bad it's good". It was just horribly, mind-numbingly bad.

The first two Nolan's Batman films were good crime dramas that were embarrassed of the fact that they had a guy running around dressed as a bat in them. The third one sucks. They were over-serious, boring, ridiculed/hid the comic stuff to make it seem more "adult" and "mature", and are just not fun. Also I'm not a contrarian, I don't do it on purpose, it just happens.

Last edited:

The third one sucks. They were over-serious, boring, ridiculed/hid the comic stuff to make it seem more "adult" and "mature", and are just not fun.
That sums up Ultimates 3 perfectly.

Sorry, no offense. :)

That sums up Ultimates 3 perfectly.

Sorry, no offense. :)

I'm not sure how you can say Ultimates 3 was "over-serious."

Ultimates and Ultimates 2 tried to be serious and dark and gritty. They were cynical and more "adult" than the other Ultimate comics. And yeah, I can see why Wyokid didn't like them. I thought they were interesting and well written, but ultimately (HA!) the cynical tone bothered me. (And I felt the same way about TDK). It did however make me appreciate the exchanges between Fury and Spider-Man early on.

But then with Ultimates 3 and New Ultimates and Ultimate Avengers and New Ultimates v Ultimate Avengers, they seemed to regress back to 90s tropes of everything being EXTREME and random cameos and silly "shocking" reveals and deus ex machina endings (not to mention that the characters became two-dementional versions of themselves).

But none of the Ultimates comics that came out after Ultimates 2 took themselves anywhere near as seriously as what had come before.

I'm not sure how you can say Ultimates 3 was "over-serious."

Ultimates and Ultimates 2 tried to be serious and dark and gritty. They were cynical and more "adult" than the other Ultimate comics. And yeah, I can see why Wyokid didn't like them. I thought they were interesting and well written, but ultimately (HA!) the cynical tone bothered me. (And I felt the same way about TDK). It did however make me appreciate the exchanges between Fury and Spider-Man early on.

But then with Ultimates 3 and New Ultimates and Ultimate Avengers and New Ultimates v Ultimate Avengers, they seemed to regress back to 90s tropes of everything being EXTREME and random cameos and silly "shocking" reveals and deus ex machina endings (not to mention that the characters became two-dementional versions of themselves).

But none of the Ultimates comics that came out after Ultimates 2 took themselves anywhere near as seriously as what had come before.
Ok, so it almost sums it up perfectly.

Overly done joke killer... :(

Last edited:
The first two Nolan's Batman films were good crime dramas that were embarrassed of the fact that they had a guy running around dressed as a bat in them. The third one sucks. They were over-serious, boring, ridiculed/hid the comic stuff to make it seem more "adult" and "mature", and are just not fun. Also I'm not a contrarian, I don't do it on purpose, it just happens.

That's an entirely incorrect and false description. All three are attempts to realistically depict the Batman character and his mythos/villains. If the people making those films were "embarrassed" to be making a Batman film, why make one at all? No one was holding a gun to their heads. Over serious? Yes, seriousness has absolutely no place in a film about a brooding guy lacking much of a sense of humor, motivated to indirectly avenge his parents' murder by acting as a vigilante in a city rife with crime #heavysarcasm.

They didn't ridicule or hide the comic stuff at all, they just attempted to take a realistic approach. I find them all to be decent movies, the first two are great films, especially the second. They directly adapted and included famous Batman villains (Ras Al Ghul, Scarecrow, Joker, Bane, Catwoman) with only minor changes made in pursuit of the realism aspect the films were going for.

Also, have you read a Batman comic published in the last 30 years? The Nolan trilogy did a far better job of staying close to the source material than Schumacher's Batman Forever or Batman & Robin films did. I liked Burton's first two Batman films, but Nolan's (even TDKR) are better.

Last edited:

I pretty much disagree with all of this. Except for the comment on The Dark Knight Rises. By no means did it suck, but it was a bit of a let down compared to the first two. It's a missed opportunity, as a lot of what you can tell they were trying to do fell flat. It's still a pretty decent cap to Nolan's version of Batman.

Also, have you read a Batman comic published in the last 30 years? The Nolan trilogy did a far better job of staying close to the source material than Schumacher's Batman Forever or Batman & Robin films did. I liked Burton's first two Batman films, but Nolan's (even TDKR) are better.

Exactly. Some of the best Batman stories we have are, essentially, just crime dramas. I think Batman works best with crime drama, serial killer stuff than his more fantastical villains (Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze, Clayface, etc). While the look and design of the character in the Nolan movies were tweaked to be more realistic looking, the characters themselves are largely the same as they are in the comic books for the past 20 plus years.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back