DC misc.

ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
So, I've been trying to get into the DC Universe for a while now, and that's why I've liked 52 and One Year Later so much - I can finally read DC Comics and understand what's going on. Some comics have been so good that I've gone back to check out series before One Year Later.

Anyway, right now I'm planning on reading Brubaker's Catwoman and Johns' Hawkman. Should I continue onto Will Pheifer's Catwoman run and Palmiotti/Gray's Hawkman run? Are they worth reading?

I'm also planning on checking out Starman... any other recommendations? I've already read Green Lantern, Teen Titans, and I need to finish The Flash, JLA and JSA. What series do you DC fans think are worth a read?

Outsiders is always great fun.

Green Arrow is one of the best series (even though it has aids and the Red Hood).

No way. Outsiders is inferior to Titans (although I still pick it up) and Green Arrow is just awful. Not to mention, it's ending in a few issues, so what's the point in putting it on your pull list now?

Starman's a DEFINITE pick. It doesn't tie too much into the rest of the DCU, but it's really a work of art. Action Comics is far and away the better of the two Superman books. When it comes to Bats, I slightly prefer Batman, but Dini's been doing some really wonderful one-shots on Detective. If you're looking for an intro into Batman, this is probably the way to do it, since each issue features a different villain. Brave and the Bold just started, and while it's not deep, it does have its advantages. It's got some cool action and offers a tour of the universe that shows a lot of unique DC locales and minor characters. Plus, Waid's interaction between the character is real interesting (granted, we've only seen one issue so far). Checkmate offers a pretty broad landscape of the DCU while also being the sickest spy book around. Shadowpact is typical Willingham. It's not nearly as good as Fables (what is?) but it's fun, and redefines magic in DC.

Yes, Shadowpact, even though last issue wasn't that good. It's normally excellent. They could use a regular artist though.

Flash might start getting better. His first issue wasn't terrific, but Guggenheim is really impressing me on Blade so I have hope he'll do Flash well.

Manhunter is good and it's a good way to explore the DCU more than a regular book does. It brings in a lot of characters from the universe. I'm not entirely certain about its publishing status though.

Oh, and Judd Winnick sucks. On everything.

Last edited:
Yes, Shadowpact, even though last issue wasn't that good. It's normally excellent. They could use a regular artist though.

Flash might start getting better. His first issue wasn't terrific, but Guggenheim is really impressing me on Blade so I have hope he'll do Flash well.

Manhunter is good and it's a good way to explore the DCU more than a regular book does. It brings in a lot of characters from the universe. I'm not entirely certain about its publishing status though.

Manhunter's back for good. Hawkgirl and Green Arrow are both being discontinued.

For a while, I was beginning to think I was the only one. I was liking how he brought back Jason Todd as the new Red Hood... until he put him in every other ****ing book he was writing. Nightwing, Outsiders, Green Arrow... I'm waiting for him to show up in Trials of Shazam.

And if it's not the Red Hood in all of his stories, it's AIDS. Winick's just boring.

For a while, I was beginning to think I was the only one. I was liking how he brought back Jason Todd as the new Red Hood... until he put him in every other ****ing book he was writing. Nightwing, Outsiders, Green Arrow... I'm waiting for him to show up in Trials of Shazam.

And if it's not the Red Hood in all of his stories, it's AIDS. Winick's just boring.

I've hated Winnick since he was on Green Lantern. You're right, that's all he has, gay, AIDs, gay, gay, AIDs. Whatever, dude.

His comics take no time to read and they go nowhere. He has bizarre storylines that go three issues but never end and continue directly into the next one, which sucks too. I don't get the appeal at all.

Y'know, being gay woman and all up in the AIDS awareness thing and all...Winnick makes my ****ing head hurt. Seriously, a little social awareness is nice and all, but seriously, WE GET IT! Your boyfriend, bestfriend, assclown...whatever Pedro is dead...move on. We don't need the same story with different characters EVERY SINGLE BOOK!!

[/rant]

As to topic, I'm totally in love with Green Lantern Corps. It could be due to my love of the GLC, Geoff Johns, Patrick Gleason...and my fangirl dream of being a Lantern.

I didn't like the first four, I think, GLCs I read, but I'm completely willing to believe the book can get better. I really want it to be a good series, at any rate.

Winnick's Pedro book might be the best thing he's ever written. Though I wouldn't know, I haven't read it. At least it's appropriate to the subject matter though, unlike his other books.

Oh look, Green Lantern has a gay little boy living with him now for some reason.

Green Arrow's sidekick has AIDs!

I don't even know the characters names in Outsiders, but there are two lesbians on the team!

Was anyone in Batman gay? I bet there was.

I know there were gay Exiles.

Barry Weem, Homosexual Boy Genius?

So, I've been trying to get into the DC Universe for a while now, and that's why I've liked 52 and One Year Later so much - I can finally read DC Comics and understand what's going on. Some comics have been so good that I've gone back to check out series before One Year Later.

Anyway, right now I'm planning on reading Brubaker's Catwoman and Johns' Hawkman. Should I continue onto Will Pheifer's Catwoman run and Palmiotti/Gray's Hawkman run? Are they worth reading?

I haven't read any of Catwoman, but the Palmiotti/Gray Hawkman is excellent. Especialy the Golden Eagle arc.

I'm also planning on checking out Starman... any other recommendations? I've already read Green Lantern, Teen Titans, and I need to finish The Flash, JLA and JSA. What series do you DC fans think are worth a read?

Starman's probably in the top 5 series DC has ever done. I'm something like 3 singles from having it ALL. Annuals, crossovers, specials, random showcase tie ins. All of it. Its one of the few things I know I could get decent money for but won't sell off in my financial need right now.

If you're not reading Robin I'd suggest that. Deffintly one of the best DC books running right now. There's even a TPB releasing this week.

If you're not reading Robin I'd suggest that. Deffintly one of the best DC books running right now. There's even a TPB releasing this week.

Word. It's everything I wish USM was.

After IC and OYL---I got into DC heavily. But then they started sucking so I dropped a bunch of titles.

Here's what I get:

• AS Superman
  • AS Batman (whenever it finally decides to ship)
  • JSA
  • JLA
  • Action Comics
  • Batman
  • Detective Comics
  • Wonder Woman
  • Green Arrow
  • Robin
  • Supergirl
  • Checkmate - I cannot recommend this book enough.

But of all those....I'd only recommend JLA/JSA, Robin, Checkmate, Batman and Action Comics.

The rest are guilty pleasures.

Latest posts

Back