DC - One Year Later.

Friday

As revelaed in last weekend Wizard World Philly, during the crisis counceling one of the after effects of Infinate Crisis will be the entire DC universe will jump ahead one year. THe Powers that be have said that this will be a time for massive reconfigurations of the DCU, with titles launching, titles being cancled, and character identities shifiting. Some of the rumored aftereffects, some more credible than the others are:

- The sucessor to Bruce Wayne as Batman will be solidified (Gauranteeded, from panel)

- **** Grayson takes over as Batman for a time period (Though not a perment change, not confirmed)

- Tim Drake becomes the next Blue Beetle (I'm all for that one)

- Massive team reconfigurations (Outsiders cancelation? Teen Titans roster variants, JLA and JSA rebuilt from the bottom up)

- Books based off of various countdown minis (Suicide Squad, Books for DCs Magic and Cosmic characters)

Full story found here
Please, no flames or anti-DC posts.

Last edited:
Baxter said:
- The sucessor to Bruce Wayne as Batman will be solidified (Gauranteeded, from panel)

I don't understand this. I seem to remember them doing that with the Breaking of the Batman around that time and it being a disaster. Am I mis-remembering?

UltimateE said:
I don't understand this. I seem to remember them doing that with the Breaking of the Batman around that time and it being a disaster. Am I mis-remembering?
Eidotrial has been pretty open about what they were doing with the entire "Knights---" storylines. The idea was to see if the traditional "Batmans a beast, but has certain lines he refuses to cross" character model was outdated, and instead of ruining Bruce Wayne they brought in Jean-Paul Valley as a more cold blooded, willing to go to extremes Batman, who of course was more in line with the current "grim and gritty" spawn influenced mid ninties.

Notice nothing up there says that Bruce waye isn't going to be Batman for a while either. Everything I've heard has said that at most he'd be taking a break, with whomever they set up as the never-actualy-happening sucessor filling in.

Personally I think this is a great idea.We don't have to go through all the agonizing,mourning and *****ing about the Crisis that would be inevitable if the company's books picked up straight after the event.DC's going to need an astonishing amount of planning and synergy to pull this one off,but I reckon they'll nail it.The amount of co-ordination thats gone into Crisis shows what they're capable of.

Baxter said:

- **** Grayson takes over as Batman for a time period (Though not a perment change, not confirmed)

- Massive team reconfigurations (Outsiders cancelation? Teen Titans roster variants, JLA and JSA rebuilt from the bottom up)

- Books based off of various countdown minis (Suicide Squad, Books for DCs Magic and Cosmic characters)

The panel said we would find out who would succeed Bruce,not that there would be a successor.I can't see DC doing anything to potentially confuse new readers from Batman Begins.the DVD would be out around that time wouldn't it?I predict a scene along the lines of "If I go down,promise me you'll take over.Somebody has to do this job."

Don't get me wrong,I'd love to see **** in a more prominent role,but I think thats been done before.I remember seeing a trade called Prodigal that had **** on the cover in the suit(yellow symbol),holding the mask.It'd be a bit out of kilter with the whole "New DC" vibe to repeat old stories.

Tim.......hmm......I'd see Booster doing that actually!

Why would Outsiders be cancelled?!?Its in the process of becoming the old Titans team again!Nightwing,Arsenal,Donna(?),Starfire,etc.Or could they form the basis of the new JLA?

Yeah it's been more or less stated thats gonna happen.Suicide Squad,Shazam,Adam Strange and Checkmate are my best guesses.I can see GA(Ollie) biting the dust( :cry: ) and Conner or Roy taking over.Speedsters don't exactly have the greatest history when it comes to Crises,so bye-bye Wally!Hawkman's ****ed in his own series,and Golden Eagle(Da fudge?!?!) is steppin in.Also,I can see Manhunter biting it in the Crisis Of Conscience JLA arc that started today.

More predictions later......

Also Im v surprised that there's been no "***** moan crisis suck nag ***** DC sucks harder complain joke ***** Bendis did it first" posts so far.Congrats!

Baxter said:

WHY? That doesnt make sense at all. I see him more as the next Nightwing, or something around those lines

Hmm...

Yeah, and with Wally West... they've been leading up to Bart Allen's taking back the helm for a long while now, up to the point where he's flat out said that he'd be the next Flash, in a Geoff Johns book, nonetheless (Teen Titans).

With Tim Drake as the Blue Beetle, I am absolutely fine with that as long as the Character stays a non-magic user.... I hope this means he's breaking with the Bat-Family... Or at least that he'll be separated....

Who do you all think is the better detective Tim or ****?

And with the coordination... I really have to hand it to DC Comics, they have a single flowing Continuity. Its complex as all hell... but Its there. Marvel has New York City annihilated in one comic, and at the same time other characters are entirely unnaffected. That has always bugged me...

When/Where do you guys think the Atom will return?

Doot... With the Justice League, I bet they'll go back to having the JLI. If Blue Beetle (Tim Drake), Booster Gold (his character is being built up for something), Batman (**** Grayson), Martian Manhunter (Duh), a Green Lantern (I'd bet Kyle), and the new Flash (Bart Allen) all got together and wanted to start a team (possibly along with Donna Troy or Wondergirl), that'd essentially be the original JLI, redux. They could possibly also incorporate Captain Marvel... I'm not sure. I just want Booster in a bigger role, and Superman/Wonder Woman in a smaller one.

Dr.Strangefate said:
With Tim Drake as the Blue Beetle, I am absolutely fine with that as long as the Character stays a non-magic user.... I hope this means he's breaking with the Bat-Family... Or at least that he'll be separated....

He is separated.But why the lovin' for it?

Dr.Strangefate said:
Who do you all think is the better detective Tim or ****?

****.But i'm openly biased,he's one of my favourite characters.

Dr.Strangefate said:
When/Where do you guys think the Atom will return?

Not for a while.

DC SUX!

(j/k) :D

Seriously though. This all pretty interesting. It looks like Infinite Crisis will have bigger aftereffects than I expected.

-About Grayson as Batman: I have a theory on this. Ya know how at the end of Dark Knight Returns, Batman goes underground and says something like "they're are bigger evils than thiefs and muggers." I think that after IC, Batman will decide he needs to rethink his 'war on crime, and will go underground and become some sort of guerilla fighter who starts battling evil corporations and politicians and quits being "batman". And if this happens, they're could be a great confrontation between Grayson and Bruce, considering that Bruce would technically become a full-fledged criminal.

-Drake as Blue Beetle: sounds excellent. They do have a lot in common. Isn't Drake some sort of techy/computer expert? Plus, he knows his way around gadgets. See, this prove that just because someone worked with Bats, they don't have to become his "Bat-*****" and follow in his footsteps.

-Team reconfigurations: Another good idea. I think that IC will pretty much destroy the JLA and tear the entire team apart. That's why the new team should be A) Made of entirely new members. People who have never been major JLA members. I like the ideas that have been thrown out so far (JLI, Teen Titans). B) Less organized and less "iconic". In other words, "this won't be yer Daddy's JLA. No headquarters in space, no crazy communicator watches, no "flashy-ness". I would love to see that.

-**** vs. Tim: They're hard to compare because they're very different. ****'s more of a traditional brainy detective like Bats. And, like I said, Tim's more of a techy. I'll go with ****, though, because he's got more experience.

René said:
WHY? That doesnt make sense at all. I see him more as the next Nightwing, or something around those lines
Tim as BB makes alot more sense than you'd think at first glance. He's been moving away from the Bat family for a while now, seeing Batman as a bit too extreme, and Nightwing is his own identity, not realy a sucessor level ID. BB is a tech based hero, same as the current Robin, and is also somone who Tim Drake really looked up to. I think its a matter of time.

And Tims the better detective. Dyck is more of the physical side of the job.

Patriot said:
Don't get me wrong,I'd love to see **** in a more prominent role,but I think thats been done before.I remember seeing a trade called Prodigal that had **** on the cover in the suit(yellow symbol),holding the mask.It'd be a bit out of kilter with the whole "New DC" vibe to repeat old stories.
While I agree that I doubt they'd muck with batman, the rumors I've heard is a year of Dyck Grason. Seems awful convinent that we're skipping a year. We'll probably come back to Bruce when he regains the mantle of the bat, with Legends or a similar new title telling us what whent on with **** and Bruce over the missing year.

Patriot said:
Why would Outsiders be cancelled?!?Its in the process of becoming the old Titans team again!Nightwing,Arsenal,Donna(?),Starfire,etc.Or could they form the basis of the new JLA?
Alot of people have talked about the new JLA formed out of the Outsiders, but I think its a better chance of a merged Outsiders/Titans setup. And so far Outsiders has pretty much just been plot points and Teen Titans crossovers anyway.

Everyone said:
Wallys gonna die! :cry:
I doubt that. DCs put too much time into making wally into his own man to kill him now. Now Jay Garrick.... Degaton did say that he's seen Jays death, and that its messy.... I think theres alot of hints twords crisis in Degatons rants hat we won't see till it happens.

Patriot said:
Is there not a degree of mysticism associated with the BB ID?
Sort of. The Golden Age Blue Beetle was granted powers (Not sure exactly what powers) from a Blue Egyptian Scarab Beetle statue that he found. When DC bought all of Charlton Comics superhero characters off of them they redesigned the Blue Beetle as Ted Kord, a tech based buisnessman who uses his invention to fight crime. In the Blue Beetle ongoing there was a storyline where Ted got ahold of the Golden age's Scarab, but he prefers not to use it, getting by on his brains and skills alone.

Baxter said:
Sort of. The Golden Age Blue Beetle was granted powers (Not sure exactly what powers) from a Blue Egyptian Scarab Beetle statue that he found. When DC bought all of Charlton Comics superhero characters off of them they redesigned the Blue Beetle as Ted Kord, a tech based buisnessman who uses his invention to fight crime. In the Blue Beetle ongoing there was a storyline where Ted got ahold of the Golden age's Scarab, but he prefers not to use it, getting by on his brains and skills alone.

Sounds like the ID would suit Tim but for one thing-lately they seem to be grooming him into the type of person that would become Batman* and I can't see DC taking away Robin for any discernible length of time.If Tim does take on the BB ID,I think it'd be in an Oracle-esque role eg If he's doing any tech stuff or hacking he's seen as BB.Not yet am I sold on the idea of Robin as BB permanently.

*I'm referring to the deaths of his dad and Spoiler.

Patriot said:
Sounds like the ID would suit Tim but for one thing-lately they seem to be grooming him into the type of person that would become Batman* and I can't see DC taking away Robin for any discernible length of time.If Tim does take on the BB ID,I think it'd be in an Oracle-esque role eg If he's doing any tech stuff or hacking he's seen as BB.Not yet am I sold on the idea of Robin as BB permanently.

*I'm referring to the deaths of his dad and Spoiler.
Now the wasy I've seen Robin depicted lately, especialy in Teen Titans, is someone who wants to do anything but become Batman.

And yeah, we won't be long without a Robin if anything happens to Tim.

I always interpreted that as a metaphor for kids not wanting to turn into their folks.If he was that much against it in truth,he wouldn't be Robin.IMO it's more that he doesn't want to turn into Bruce.

Parthuman said:
Word on the street is that the next Batman will be Hawkeye.

:lol:

Dan DiDio talks on editorial changes after Crisis

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=35672

Newsarama said:
"We had an editorial meeting to talk through Crisis - how we're going to handle it, how we're going to coordinate it, and how we're going to follow it," DiDio said. "When the suggestion was made by editorial of maybe doing a leap ahead in storylines, it gave us an interesting hook that would really play nicely, because it would allow you to get back into your characters in their own individual stories again, without being made to feel that they're all coming from the same place and the same time. With everything running as tightly as it will be in Crisis, the last thing we wanted to do was follow it by having all the series coming from the same exact place, and the same exact time, because that can get a little redundant. This allows for every series to have its own individual identity again, and allows us to get the balls back up in the air as quickly as possible and get right back into the heart of what makes each character special."

This relatively abrupt change in all the DCU ongoing series will also allow for editorial swaps for the series as well, DiDio explained.

Latest posts

Back