DC Retcons...

thisbeadam

I understand that there was going to be some confusion when the "New 52" started, but is there anyone out there like me that is simply frustrated with a Hal Jordan Green Lantern discovering that Batman was not a meta in Justice League #1, and then being broke, two months behind on bills and not being a Lantern at all?(Green Lantern #1).

The comics are all taking place at different times. Justice League #1 takes place five years ago and Green Lantern #1 presumably takes place currently.

But in general, yes, I agree with you. This probably wasn't the best way to relaunch their universe.

Well, I'd assume there's a timeline in Geoff Johns' head since he's writing both books and seems to have tight creative control over GL in general. But I won't try to work it out myself. :D Sounds like a project for DiB.

But yeah. Like Proj said, there's a five year gap between this Justice League story and the present GL book. It's conceivable Hal has gone from rookie hot shot to suspended loose cannon in five year's time. It's more a question of whether the collective back history of the entire universe can fit in that span, and since DC is being vague about what happened and when it happened and how it happened, that's a hard conclusion to reach. You might be able to decompress some of the Green Lantern (and Batman too, for that matter. He's the other guy who seems to be keeping most of his background intact) history by assuming Hal's been running around in his costume since before that "age of heroes" five year window but he spent most of that time tooling around in space as a super cop rather than being a conventional Earth superhero. Same goes for Batman, if you play up the urban myth angle and see this "JL: Year One" story as him coming out as a recognized vigilante rather than a superstition amongst thugs.

My solution is to just not worry about it. Assume time works differently in comic book world, or assume it's allegorical, or just simply not care. I'm certainly not invested enough in Johns' stories to fret about it.

The further I get into the DCNu the more I want it to have been a reboot. I think forcing the current ideas to fit with the previous stories isn't going to work. And I'm not talking about random issue of Birds of Prey, I mean things like the Death of Superman and Identity Crisis. Tell me how DOS works with what we've seen in Superboy, or IC with Ray Plamer in Frankenstien. Without Palmer the Hero THERE IS NO IDENTITY CRISIS.

So I think I'm just going to treat it as a total reboot, personaly, and assume that what they refer to are different events then what I've read.

The further I get into the DCNu the more I want it to have been a reboot. I think forcing the current ideas to fit with the previous stories isn't going to work. And I'm not talking about random issue of Birds of Prey, I mean things like the Death of Superman and Identity Crisis. Tell me how DOS works with what we've seen in Superboy, or IC with Ray Plamer in Frankenstien. Without Palmer the Hero THERE IS NO IDENTITY CRISIS.

So I think I'm just going to treat it as a total reboot, personaly, and assume that what they refer to are different events then what I've read.

Exactly. I'm going to assume the general form of the events happened as before but not presume the details.

Latest posts

Back