Deadly Shooting at Virgina Tech

Freedom of Speech doesnt protect opinion you like, but opinion s you dont like. You cant punish someone for expressing themselves as long as it doesnt insight violence. I cant imagine what would be in the essay that would cause this kind of trouble.
My thought would be that nobody is stopping them from saying it, just putting consequences on it. I don't really think that is contrary to the purpose of the amendment.

What about the guy who was arrested? The article didn't say anything about him being warned not to write disturbing pieces.
That, I think is different.

Someone else said its not quite so worrying when someone who is clearly just weird like Quentin Tarantino obsesses over violence. If the school loner does it, fondles guns and talks about killing people, maybe you need to pay a bit more attention.

Do I think its appropriate to kick out someone who was by everything I've heard, a good student who just happened to be a good writer? No. Do I think that two people announcing the shooter is their hero deserve to be kicked out? Maybe not. We don't have any evidence that these kids are stable and to be honest, that doesn't sound like something I would want to be at school with.

When I was in high school I wrote an assignment where the principal was a killer robot from the future and he ended up getting blown up. I wrote a ton of stories about violence and killing. Granted, mine were all in the name of fun, but I never got arrested for it. In fact, I haven't ever been arrested for anything. Let alone turning in an assignment.

I had to go over every major Supreme Court ruling last night for my AP US History class. What I learned was that according to the Supreme Court, students don't have the same free speech rules as adults. If something is "disruptive to the learning environment", the school can do whatever the hell they want.

I get that, if a school wants to send him to a counseller, informer the parents, or at worst suspend him, okay. But I just cant imagine this would warrant and expelling and even if the school is allow to limit it I do not see how the can charge him anything for handing in an essay for a "creative writing class" just because the teacher finds it disturbing. I just cant imagine what he would of written that would require that kind of response

And there's the fact that the cop says it's disorderly conduct if something you wirte disturbs someone.

Somebody quick, Stephen King needs to be behind bars!

In Grade 7, two kids I know wrote a list of "101 ways to kill [specific student]".

They received a talking two and detention after school.

The thing is, though, the kids who wrote the list are nice, normal people and the list was cleary a joke. The methods were all silly cartoon stunts like "feed him cheese until he explodes" and stuff. Their punishment made sense.

In this day and age, they probably would've been expelled.

Also, I completely agree with the thing Stephen King said about "[the kid never ended up flipping out....but those were the days before doing so would get you on the front page of the newspaper]". My dad actually works for the news, and he's been fighting to get the names and photos of the people who do this stuff prohibited from display on the air.

In Grade 7, two kids I know wrote a list of "101 ways to kill [specific student]".

They received a talking two and detention after school.

The thing is, though, the kids who wrote the list are nice, normal people and the list was cleary a joke. The methods were all silly cartoon stunts like "feed him cheese until he explodes" and stuff. Their punishment made sense.

In this day and age, they probably would've been expelled.

Also, I completely agree with the thing Stephen King said about "[the kid never ended up flipping out....but those were the days before doing so would get you on the front page of the newspaper]". My dad actually works for the news, and he's been fighting to get the names and photos of the people who do this stuff prohibited from display on the air.

yeah, i got a detention for drawing stick death cartoons in 7th grade.

and then i got one in 8th grade for cheating on accelerated reader.:lol:

Totally agree. King nailed it.
yeah, i got a detention for drawing stick death cartoons in 7th grade.

and then i got one in 8th grade for cheating on accelerated reader.:lol:
I'm surprised I haven't gotten in trouble for the highly disturbing and dark artwork that I've produced at school:

moonmaster said:
TheEndoftheWorldAsWeKnowIt.jpg

Latest posts

Back