DEMO series discussion *spoilers*

compound

I never found a thread about DEMO, the brilliant maxi-series by Brian Wood (Generation X, Channel Zero, DMZ) and Becky Cloonan (Channel Zero: Jennie One) on UC, despite a cursory search. Please merge, if need be.

With DEMO: The Collection being released this week at last, it seemed appropriate to finally start an exclusive discussion thread.

For those who aren't familiar -- and missed the well-deserved hype it recieved on comics blogs everywhere -- the basic premise is 12 self-contained, issues dealing with everyday interactions between people and their social environment, with each story being given a "superpowered" or other-worldly twist.

The mood spans from light-hearted to grim and foreboding, from one issue to the next, taking on diverse but "relate-able" situations like the demands of working life, family commitments, old pals, home-town secrets, and the like.

Artist Becky Cloonan's style is waaaaay versatile, spanning influences as broad as Sin City, shojou manga, and European art comics, while always retaining her characteristic punk-y touch, for lack of a better description. You've gotta see it to believe it.

(Incidentally, she is as hott as her art is. But that's neither here nor there.)

Oh, and it was nominated for a whole bunch of Eisners in this year's awards, if that kind of thing means anything to you.

*** Okay, from this point onwards, there may be huge spoilers. ***

* Did anybody else believe Green Day's video for "Wake Me Up When September Ends" felt like a watered down version of #7 (I think), "One Shot, Don't Miss". If you've read the series and watched the video, you ought to know what I'm referring to.

* I didn't honestly get what the "twist" was supposed to be in the "convenience store"/Slackers' Manifesto issue (#11?). I mean, it was great issue, but it felt ENTIRELY slice-of-life and down to earth.

* I seem to be the only person I know who liked "Mixtape" (#8?) least of all the stories.

* Does anybody else here think Becky Cloonan uses SuicideGirls members as her drawing references? That, or a Hot Topic catalog. Not that I'm complaining, mind you. It's gorgeous stuff. I'd want to see her do a fill-in arc, or guest covers, for Runaways.

* Was it really DEMO, as some detractors claim? Or just very heartfelt and raw and pathos-inducing, without falling into the trap of sentiment?

Last edited:
i really did love this series (thanks for lending it!) and i will definitely by the TPB...only so that i can return your comics, haha. i've actually been using the comics (time and time again) for inspiration on films i had to do for school work. helps loads on my storyboards and film shots.

also, as much as i loved the art, i thought the writing was even better. the art was uber dynamic, and utilized not only different styles but mediums, all in black and white. but one of the hardest things to do is tell a stand-alone story in just one comic, and they were mostly good stories at that!

* I didn't honestly get what the "twist" was supposed to be in the "convenience store"/Slackers' Manifesto issue (#11?). I mean, it was great issue, but it felt ENTIRELY slice-of-life and down to earth.

i was wondering about that too! kept on debating over this one with the boyfriend. i was thinking: "his latent superpower is being able to, uh, face reality?" i have no clue.

* I seem to be the only person I know who liked "Mixtape" (#8?) least of all the stories.

aaww! me likey that one. admittedly, the art told more of the story than the writing did (which was the point, i guess) and may have been better as a film (or in this day and age, a music video for some artsy fartsy band). i also liked how unique the angle was on this one. just needed a better climax, maybe.
* Was it really DEMO, as some detractors claim? Or just very heartfelt and raw and pathos-inducing, without falling into the trap of sentiment?

i personally didn't see it as blatantly emo, though i can see a lot of wannabe-emo kids thinking this was hot ****. i believe it dealt with topics on heart-string levels, without being uselessly sappy or melodramatic.

aw man, i'm really excited for the TPB. is it out in the philippines already?

naughtyninja said:
aw man, i'm really excited for the TPB. is it out in the philippines already?
Druid's Keep ordered three copies, and they sold out. If you tell Felix, he'd be all too pleased to re-order it, I'm sure. Two weeks to one month waiting time, I believe. Exchange rate is P45=US$1. Good deal!

It's a bit of a detour, but if you're working in Makati anyway, for the time being, it's worth stopping by to order it.

Wouldn't be surprised if Fully Booked eventually picks it up, as well.

Exchange rate is P45=US$1. Good deal!

no kidding! roughly Php900...VERY awesome. i'll see about going there, it's hard for me to move around Makati without a car, haha. i totally don't understand the commuting system here. but for DEMO, it's worth the possible taxi fare ;)

If anybody here wants to see fully-realized characters attempting to deal with the after-effects of discovering they have super-powers -- without any larger pretense of saving the world -- they should pick up the TPB (or better yet, the self-contained single issues) of this. Seriously.

If you like the human drama aspect of the TV show Heroes, read this.

If you liked Kurt Busiek's Superman: Secret Identity, read this.

This book is completely under-rated on this board. Where's the love?

Still nobody else with opinions to share about this series? :(

Honestly, I can't believe how little love this gets around here.

There are rumors that it will be republished this year, by Vertigo, since the publishing rights have reverted back to the creators, as of September 2007. This was previously confirmed by Newsarama. Read this for more details:

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=130520

Last edited:
Never even heard of it before compound.
Really? I'm honestly surprised, because it got plenty of hype, even in non comics related magazines I read, when it was first being released in single issues. I saw write ups in magazines like Punk Planet, even.

And it got LOADS of praise from comics bloggers, at (then) active review sites like The Fourth Rail, Ninth Art, etc.

Anyway, there's some further basic product info here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1932051422/?tag=tcbcom-20

But let me see whether I can find any sample pages...

** EDIT ***
HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT! How did I not know about this before?

Vertigo will be publishing a second volume of DEMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's the official announcement, complete with cover images:

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=147868 target=

I am literally on the verge of wetting myself, right now.

** EDIT **

It's also confirmed; DEMO Vol. 1 will be reissued by Vertigo in May. From Brian Wood's release blog:

http://brianwood.tumblr.com/post/26763119

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back