Detective Comics 821-? discussion (Dini/Williams) [spoilers]

E

Excelsior Club
I picked this up specifically for JH Williams III's art. I have not bought a Batman comic since Bane broke his back, waaaaaay back when. The art certainly didn't disappoint; very dark but crisp and clean. Great coloring. The contrast used in a lot of the backgrounds (notably red behind black) is very reminicent of old 60s comics where they didn't draw a background and just filled it in with a weird color, but it works beautifully here.

I don't believe I've ever read anything by Paul Dini, so this was new to me. And it was great.

The issue is (at least it seems to be) completely self-contained. Someone is killing high-society snobs in Gotham City, and none of the usual suspects are suspected.

Turns out it's a guy named Facade who has quite the scam going - getting his henchmen to integrate into these high roller parties, stealing money from his victims to cover up money he was stealing from country clubs and the like.

I had never heard of Facade - i don't know if this was his first appearance or what, but he was cool.

So, great issue. Recommended. Anyone else pick it up? I know Proj was really looking forward to it...

I am salivating over this. I can't wait to read it.

Woo! I read it!

And it was awesome. The story was great and the art was incredible. J.H. Williams III has definitely became one of my favourite artists.

Can't wait until next month and the new Riddler, especially with what we've heard about what he's like OYL.

I just hope Batman can be as good as Detective Comics.

I enjoyed the crap out of it...

As much as I tend to like one-shots... I am hoping a bit that Dini pulls out the big guns and shows us that he can do a story-arc.

Looking forward to seeing the riddler.

How many issues are Dini/Williams on for?

Are all of the issues supposed to be like one-shots? Are they expected to all tie together in the end?

E said:
How many issues are Dini/Williams on for?

Are all of the issues supposed to be like one-shots? Are they expected to all tie together in the end?

I don't know. Both the August and September issues look like one shots, dealing with the Riddler and Poison Ivy respectively.

The issue was solid, no doubt. But for me, it's really just an appetizer for Morrison's work on Batman.

Last edited:
thee great one said:
Dini: Read Detective closely - hey may not be as stand-alone as you think.

Coolness.

Where was this from?

I picked up #822 today.

No JH Williams III? What?!

I didn't know about this. I'm disappointed.

What's the story?

E said:
No JH Williams III? What?!
Remember he went off to do Seven Soldiers #1. I believe in the quote you posted he said they put his name on the next issue by mistake or something like that.

Ice said:
Remember he went off to do Seven Soldiers #1. I believe in the quote you posted he said they put his name on the next issue by mistake or something like that.

If that's the case it's worth it.

(I really need to read stuff that I post)

The story's pretty good. A prominent businessman's daughter turns up dead, so her father has the Riddler released and hires him to hunt down the killer. Batman and Nigma are forced to work together. It was strong, but I personally liked the Facade issue better.

It is cool to see that Batman doesn't always have to fight capes and mobsters, though.

I think Williams is alternating issues, which is sad, because his art is great on this book.

I reall am enjoying these stories thus far. They have been incredibly solid and I think Dini is one of the best dialogue crafters out there. Angry that it wasnt Williams though. Looking forward to Ivy.

Yay for actual detective stories!

ProjectX2 said:
I think Williams is alternating issues, which is sad, because his art is great on this book.

Williams is on a break until he finishes the final "Seven Soldiers of Victory" issue... Then he'll come back to the title.

Dr.Strangefate said:
Williams is on a break until he finishes the final "Seven Soldiers of Victory" issue... Then he'll come back to the title.

:(

:cry:

And it was so good... :evil:

Latest posts

Back