DIrishB's DCAU Timeline

iammattie

Hello all, as some of you may know, I am one of 3 members of the Watchtower Database YouTube channel. We primarily focus on the DC Animated Universe and create videos that range from interviews and other behind the scenes info to reviews to lore dumps. While the channel was founded in 2015, I was brought on 2 years later in 2017 as a result of my DCAU continuity work which in turn was largely inspired by the work DIB and this board had been doing for the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I've been wanting to share a DCAU timeline here for what feels like ages, and back in 2013 when I started the project it felt like an accomplishable task. Around that time the DCAU had more or less been dead for nearly a decade, and so while the tie-in material had never been officially canonized, it didn't seem as though there was going to be anything new coming along to dispute it's validity. Fast forward to today and we've received multiple new releases including 2 movies, a Batman Beyond short, a series of children books from Capstone that sometimes use DCAU lore and other times ignore it while still using the character models, and a plethora of new tie-in comics (Batman/TMNT Adventures, Harley Loves Joker, Batman The Adventures Continue, etc. ) to bank on our nostalgia. More or less, this has tremendously complicated the process of making anything "definitive".

That being the case, I was working on cleaning up a hard drive that I've been haphazardly backing up the contents of old computers on over the years, and came across a document that DIB had passed off to me in September of 2015. It's far from complete (I believe he said he had only gotten as far as Superman Adventures in regards to tie-in material), but as he's sadly passed in the time since then, his specific vision of the DCAU continuity will never truly be fulfilled. Since he was such a beloved member of this community, it only feels right to share what I have of his as I don't believe it's ever been published elsewhere (either on this site or his timeline site.)

I want to note that it's possible I may have made some tweaks to this document at one point or another as he had asked for notes, and I vaguely recall at least one specific JLU tie-in comic being listed that I'm no longer seeing. According to my computer, the last date of modification was in January of 2016. I'll try to see if I can find the earliest version of this document in my e-mail somewhere, but I'm not clear on which e-mail address he had sent it to initially so that may take some time.

I'm also copy/pasting into a google doc rather than formatting for this forum as I've gotta prep for an interview we're about to pre-record for our upcomign livestream event and just don't have the time to do both at this current moment. I just wanted to get this out there before I forgot. I may revisit later for formatting purposes, but if anyone else would be keen to do so I won't stop ya.

Anyway, without further ado, DIrishB's DCAU timeline (with minor input from myself from 4 years ago) can be found HERE.

Hello all, as some of you may know, I am one of 3 members of the Watchtower Database YouTube channel. We primarily focus on the DC Animated Universe and create videos that range from interviews and other behind the scenes info to reviews to lore dumps. While the channel was founded in 2015, I was brought on 2 years later in 2017 as a result of my DCAU continuity work which in turn was largely inspired by the work DIB and this board had been doing for the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I've been wanting to share a DCAU timeline here for what feels like ages, and back in 2013 when I started the project it felt like an accomplishable task. Around that time the DCAU had more or less been dead for nearly a decade, and so while the tie-in material had never been officially canonized, it didn't seem as though there was going to be anything new coming along to dispute it's validity. Fast forward to today and we've received multiple new releases including 2 movies, a Batman Beyond short, a series of children books from Capstone that sometimes use DCAU lore and other times ignore it while still using the character models, and a plethora of new tie-in comics (Batman/TMNT Adventures, Harley Loves Joker, Batman The Adventures Continue, etc. ) to bank on our nostalgia. More or less, this has tremendously complicated the process of making anything "definitive".

That being the case, I was working on cleaning up a hard drive that I've been haphazardly backing up the contents of old computers on over the years, and came across a document that DIB had passed off to me in September of 2015. It's far from complete (I believe he said he had only gotten as far as Superman Adventures in regards to tie-in material), but as he's sadly passed in the time since then, his specific vision of the DCAU continuity will never truly be fulfilled. Since he was such a beloved member of this community, it only feels right to share what I have of his as I don't believe it's ever been published elsewhere (either on this site or his timeline site.)

I want to note that it's possible I may have made some tweaks to this document at one point or another as he had asked for notes, and I vaguely recall at least one specific JLU tie-in comic being listed that I'm no longer seeing. According to my computer, the last date of modification was in January of 2016. I'll try to see if I can find the earliest version of this document in my e-mail somewhere, but I'm not clear on which e-mail address he had sent it to initially so that may take some time.

I'm also copy/pasting into a google doc rather than formatting for this forum as I've gotta prep for an interview we're about to pre-record for our upcomign livestream event and just don't have the time to do both at this current moment. I just wanted to get this out there before I forgot. I may revisit later for formatting purposes, but if anyone else would be keen to do so I won't stop ya.

Anyway, without further ado, DIrishB's DCAU timeline (with minor input from myself from 4 years ago) can be found HERE.
thank you!

Had a chance to go through my old e-mail address and found 2 separate documents from a few years apart. I haven't been able to check the difference between those and this one, but I can easily make all 3 available in the near future. Just curious if it would make more sense to just have them all on separate Google docs, or edit the original post to format at least one of them in as most other timeline threads do in this forum. I'm open to suggestions.

I'm curious how the Zeta Project lines up with Batman Beyond without breaking production order for either series. It seems Return Of The Joker has a clear placement in the BB timeline, but things get tricky with ZP's "Shadows" vs BB's "Countdown".

Latest posts

Back