Disney To Acquire DC Comics (Time Warner)?

wyokid

Why China's Richest Man Could Buy Time Warner

And the part that really caught my eye.

Three Other Suitors-in-Waiting:

Walt Disney

The prospect of combining Disney's Marvel with Time Warner's DC Comics might be too compelling to ignore, plus CNN would give Disney the cable news asset it lacks. Disney's market cap as of Aug. 8 was $149 billion compared with Time Warner's $63 billion, which gives Disney CEO Bob Iger more leverage than Murdoch might have had.

The thought of Disney getting bigger is scary but this could severely fix DC Comics. How would you guys feel if Disney had both DC and Marvel?

Last edited:
Why China's Richest Man Could Buy Time Warner And the part that really caught my eye. The thought of Disney getting bigger is scary but this could severely fix DC Comics. How would you guys feel if Disney had both DC and Marvel?

I doubt it'll go through. Even if all the financial deals work out perfectly, I guarantee a number of anti-monopoly laws will prevent it from happening in both the film and television aspect, as well as the publishing aspect (comics). Disney is already a huge juggernaut, obtaining Time Warner would make them unstoppable. Of course given our current lobbyist/corporate controlled political system, maybe it will happen.

But don't think it'll lead to better things. If DC and Marvel are owned by the same corporation, eventually and inevitably it leads to worse products, in this case, the comics (and likely the films based on them) due to the fact the competition is no longer there.

I don't know the legal details and ins and outs, but in the end I'd be surprised if Disney pulled it off.

Latest posts

Back