Do the claws make the Wolverine?

MaxwellSmart

I was just thinking. If Wolverine had never been given claws, would he still be such an iconic character? I'm inclined to say no, but Wolverine was the original bad *** mutant and that's iconic right there. What do you guys think?

In terms of popularity? He'd still be. Still making him do what he does best, he'd still be the same, as I see it.

Depends on what you replace them with. If he only had his healing power then no. If he had his healing power and was equipped with... I don't know... Katana swords then yes.

A name like Wolverine screams sharp pointy objects. With out those he wouldn't be as famous or iconic.

Yes IMO claws do make him Wolverine.

His personality and some abbiltys like smell make him like an animal so he needs claws as it suits him

Ultimate Warrior said:
Depends on what you replace them with. If he only had his healing power then no. If he had his healing power and was equipped with... I don't know... Katana swords then yes.

That would just be Deadpool without the humor.

The first thing I ever found cool about him was his claws. I didn't even know about his healing factor untill I actually started reading the comics. I used to run around with knives between my fingers pretending to be him.

Last edited:
If he had no claws he would probably use something like 2 katanas...
But then if he had no claws I don't see the point of naming him Wolverine.

Ultimate Quicksilver said:
Oh but you need claws to go for an animal or at least really big nails.
Depends. I mean, claws help, sure, but you don't necessarily them if you have enough strength to take an animal down, which Wolverine has plenty of.

FACT.

No, because while a living weapon character with issues was probably permissible when they made him, a guy who ran around with some melee weapons or firearms kicking *** wouldn't have flown. If they even let the character come into being (when was the Punisher created relative to Wolverine?), he wouldn't have had the star status that the clawed Wolverine does.

Personally, I think he could have been iconic had he not been given the claws. Though, I think if he hadn't been given something like a pair of knives, katar, whatever, he wouldn't have been as successful, The sharp cutty things just amp up the dangerous thing.

BTW: as Elton John once said, the ***** (me) is back.

TheManWithoutFear said:
whens the thread gonna be closed?
When you gonna stop asking that same question whenever you don't like a thread?

Legit thread. Leave it be. Don't like it, don't come in it.

Latest posts

Back