Do you think they should make Ultimate Universe trading card box set similar to...

MarvelWarrior

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 25, 2005
Messages
82
..to the original Marvel trading card set from the 90's? I miss those cards and think it'd be cool if they did that for the Ultimate Universe. What do you think?
 

E

Moderator
Excelsior Club
Joined
May 17, 2004
Messages
33,346
Location
MI
MarvelWarrior said:
..to the original Marvel trading card set from the 90's? I miss those cards and think it'd be cool if they did that for the Ultimate Universe. What do you think?

I'd probably pick up a set.

I have most of the first two sets of those cards. It's how I learned what little I knew about characters I didn't read in the comics, like the X-Men, Celestials, etc.
 

MarvelWarrior

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 25, 2005
Messages
82
UltimateE said:
I'd probably pick up a set.

I have most of the first two sets of those cards. It's how I learned what little I knew about characters I didn't read in the comics, like the X-Men, Celestials, etc.

I have a little bit of the first 2 sets and a Rouge from the 3rd set. The 3rd set was my favorite set.
 

ourchair

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2005
Messages
13,105
Location
Philippines
UltimateE said:
I'd probably pick up a set.

I have most of the first two sets of those cards. It's how I learned what little I knew about characters I didn't read in the comics, like the X-Men, Celestials, etc.
Ditto.

I liked the art and design they used for Series II (1991) and Series III (1992), but man did the designs for Series IV (1994) look like crap.

What's patently amusing about those cards now is looking back and seeing which forgettable characters were considered noteworthy enough to make it into the cards. I mean Cyber, the Adamantium-Skinned Assassin is inane; Sleepwalker, is basically a guy with a lima bean for a head and Cardiac, the dude with the hi-tech pacemaker are nothing now.
 

Fuzzy Birds

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2004
Messages
1,343
Location
Ze Nedderlandz
Not sure if these are the same as the ones you guys got, but I remember owning a load of cards that were painted by the Hildebrandt brothers, and, as ourchair says, they were full of no-marks, like Jack Of Hearts, Captain Universe, Ghost Rider 2099, Spiderman, Doc Samson, etc etc.
 

jtg3885

Banned
Joined
Jul 20, 2004
Messages
2,940
Location
Connecticut
I'd like a set like that as long as it's done by one or two people. It would be nice to finally see some sort of standardization of art among all the Ultimate properties.

I really wish there was a way for one person to draw all the Ultimate-verse comics so that they'd all look similar, and characters would look the same when they crossed over and stuff. *glares at Ultimate Secret*
 

SeAcoW

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
904
I was into the whole magic thing once. Don't think this will be any interest for me anymore though.
 

E

Moderator
Excelsior Club
Joined
May 17, 2004
Messages
33,346
Location
MI
SeAcoW said:
I was into the whole magic thing once. Don't think this will be any interest for me anymore though.

These aren't magic cards if I understand the OP correctly. I am not nor have I ever been into those. They are just trading cards with pictures of the characters and information about them.
 

ourchair

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2005
Messages
13,105
Location
Philippines
UltimateE said:
These aren't magic cards if I understand the OP correctly. I am not nor have I ever been into those. They are just trading cards with pictures of the characters and information about them.
And POWER BARS! Don't forget dem POWER BARS!

Fuzzy Birds said:
Not sure if these are the same as the ones you guys got, but I remember owning a load of cards that were painted by the Hildebrandt brothers, and, as ourchair says, they were full of no-marks, like Jack Of Hearts, Captain Universe, Ghost Rider 2099, Spiderman, Doc Samson, etc etc.
I believe the Hildebrandt series was Marvel Masterpieces Series 2 or 3. Series 1 was painted by the then highly over-rated Joe Jusko.

There was a Ghost Rider 2099? Wow, there are actually Marvel characters lame enough to slip under my radar?! I always thought the title Ravage 2099 sounded dirty.
 

E

Moderator
Excelsior Club
Joined
May 17, 2004
Messages
33,346
Location
MI
ourchair said:
And POWER BARS! Don't forget dem POWER BARS!

Of course - that was the most important part.
 

ourchair

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2005
Messages
13,105
Location
Philippines
Hm, this seemed like a good idea two years ago.

But imagine what an Ultimate trading card set would be like now.

About 50% of the characters would be Bendis crap.

Ugh.
 

Latest posts

Top