Doc Ock Lives

Ok so I was in my comic shop yesterday and noticed that marvel is doing a three issue crossover event and the only thing it says is doc ock lives so I just wanted to get some opinions on what you thing is going to happen

Ok so I was in my comic shop yesterday and noticed that marvel is doing a three issue crossover event and the only thing it says is doc ock lives so I just wanted to get some opinions on what you thing is going to happen

This is something coming up? Are there solicitations for it?

If this means the end of Superior Spider-Man (or, Superiour Spider-Man for our British friends), it can't happen soon enough.

This is something coming up? Are there solicitations for it?

If this means the end of Superior Spider-Man (or, Superiour Spider-Man for our British friends), it can't happen soon enough.
Yes, it's a 3-part special through three one-shots in October.

ANXMENSPEC2013001.jpg

ALL-NEW X-MEN SPECIAL #1
MICHAEL COSTA (W) • KRIS ANKA (A)
Cover by ALEXANDER LOZANO
Interlocking Variant Cover by J. SCOTT CAMPBELL
PART ONE OF "THE ARMS OF THE OCTOPUS!"
• The All-New X-Men cross over with the Indestructible Hulk and Superior Spider-Man!
• What does Doctor Octopus want with the All-New X-Men and HOW IS HE ALIVE?!
• This gets the immediate attention of Superior Spider-Man, but what does it have to do with the Hulk?
40 PGS./One-Shot/Rated T …$4.99

HULKSPECIAL001.jpg

INDESTRUCTIBLE HULK SPECIAL #1
MICHAEL COSTA (W) • JAKE WYATT (A)
PART TWO OF "THE ARMS OF THE OCTOPUS!"
• Banner helps The All-New X-Men and Superior Spider-Man get to the mystery of Doc Ock!
• But before they solve anything they're shocked by the return of the believed-dead ABOMINATION!

SSMTEAMSPECIAL001.jpg

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN TEAM-UP SPECIAL #1
MICHAEL COSTA (W) • MICHAEL DIALYNAS (A)
PART THREE OF "THE ARMS OF THE OCTOPUS!"
• Who is in league with Doc Ock and the Abomination and how can our heroes defeat them?
• Can the Superior Spider-Man (who we all know is the mind of Otto Octavius in the body of Spider-Man) hold onto his sanity while facing his doppelganger?

Ugh. I'll probably end up reading it but I won't like it.

It seems to good to be true, but there is also this:

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #700.1 & #700. 2
DAVID MORRELL (w) • KLAUS JANSON (a)
Covers by PASQUAL FERRY
Variant Covers by KLAUS JANSON
One year after his death at the hands of the Superior Spider-Man – PETER PARKER IS BACK!
• Acclaimed novelist David Morrell (First Blood) and legendary comics icon Klaus Janson (DAREDEVIL: END OF DAYS) team up to kick off this celebration of the world's greatest super hero!
• With a blizzard crippling New York City, Spider-Man must protect the city – but Aunt May's life is in danger!
40 PGS. (EACH)/Rated T …$3.99 (EACH)

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #700.3 & #700.4
JOE CASEY, JEN VAN METER & CLAY CHAPMAN (W)
TIM GREEN, EMMA RIOS & JAVIER RODRIGUEZ (a)
Covers by PASQUAL FERRY
#700.3 VARIANT COVER BY JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER
#700.4 VARIANT COVER BY MIRCO PIERFEDERICI
• Continuing the special celebration of THE ORIGINAL SPIDER-MAN from Man of Action's Joe Casey & Tim Green (AVENGERS ACADEMY)!
• What is the Black Lodge? And how has Spider-Man been trapped there, surrounded by his deadliest foes? Then, the Black Cat and Spider-Man team-up to bust an international art thievery ring in CAT & MOUSE by Jen Van Meter (CAPTAIN MARVEL) and Emma Rios (AMAZING SPIDER-MAN).
• Finally, a young boy must learn he can't rely on super heroes like Spider-Man to stand up against bullies in 12 O'CLOCK HIGH by Clay Chapman (AVENGERS: EARTH'S MIGHTIEST HEROES) and Javier Rodriguez (DAREDEVIL).40 PGS. (EACH)/Rated T …$3.99 (EACH)

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #700.5
BRIAN REED & KEVIN GRIEVIOUX (W)
SEAN CHEN & LEE WEEKS (a)
Cover by PASQUAL FERRY
Variant COVER BY IN-HYUK LEE
• Peter Parker and Johnny Storm must stop an apocalyptic future by fighting – the Fantastic Four?! By Brian Reed (MS. MARVEL) and Sean Chen (AVENGERS)!
• Then, a young child risks his life to save Spider-Man's in the emotional WHAT WOULD SPIDER-MAN DO? By Kevin Grievioux (NEW WARRIORS) and Lee Weeks (AMAZING SPIDER-MAN)!
40 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

Of course, it might just be them putting out new Spidey stories. Who knows.

Those are supposed to be flash back stories, which was previously under the title "Peter Parker: Spider-Man". One of the editors said this in one of the Spider-Man comic letter columns earlier this year.

I don't remember where I saw it, but I seem to recall solicitations for an upcoming SSM storyline featuring a mysterious Doc Ock fighting Otto.

That is all just confusing enough to actually make me walk away from the whole crappy thing.

What's confusing you, exactly?

How he's coming back one year later yet the comics are 700.1, 700.2, etc.

The title changes.

"Continuing the special celebration of THE ORIGINAL SPIDER-MAN". I have no idea what that is.

This is the best argument against relaunches and multiple books about the same character. Tell the story in the title proper and use secondary books and minis for things that don't fit in with the main narrative.

The title changes.

"Continuing the special celebration of THE ORIGINAL SPIDER-MAN". I have no idea what that is.

This is the best argument against relaunches and multiple books about the same character. Tell the story in the title proper and use secondary books and minis for things that don't fit in with the main narrative.

I think we established that ASM #700.1 etc are separate from "Doc Ock Lives." You find the flashback Peter Parker stories confusing enough to not want to read them, not necessarily this Spidey-Ock fighting the Octa-clone, right?

I think we established that ASM #700.1 etc are separate from "Doc Ock Lives." You find the flashback Peter Parker stories confusing enough to not want to read them, not necessarily this Spidey-Ock fighting the Octa-clone, right?

That's what I'm talking about.

"Spidey-Ock"

"Octa-clone"

Guh.

If the story was good or interesting in the first place I might be bothered to try and understand it, but I don't even care at this point. This whole thing is crap.

I think he will try to kill spider man. I know it's cliché but its all I can think of.

The title changes.

I think that is smaller titles in Marvel tend to be better written. Usually Daredevil or Captain America only have one main title and maybe a few minis here and there and their titles are less convoluted then say Spider-Man titles.

So, I just finished the second issue of this crossover. I get the hunch that the Doc Ock angle is a red herring and won't play much into the main continuity at all.

That said, this is an exceptional little story with really understated but beautiful art and clever writing. It deftly plays with these continuity-snarled characters, being true to their character while not getting bogged up in the pile-up of silly continuity. It's not one of those books that CHANGES EVERYTHING or HAS AN IMPACT ON THE REST OF THE UNIVERSE. It's a story that's just a story, and it's a shame that it will get overlooked for that fact, because it's a damn fine one. All y'all should pick it up.

(Also, I love that "HULK LOVE PUPPIES" has become a thing)

And god, the fights scenes are SO GOOD. Cleanly defined, with a sense of power and purposeful in a way comic book fights rarely are. Every panel has impact and choreography beyond the typical "X number of panels of dude punching other dude".

:D The villain is totally predictable though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back