Dream-Teaming Round 8: Excalibur

Random

Didn't **** any of those *****es
Okay you're an assistant editor at the comic book publisher of your choice. You're boss comes in and tells you to drum up some roster ideas for a team-book they'd like to set-up for a future creative team to write. He asks for a proposal including: The roster of the team, The driving idea, explainations for character choices, and the creative team you'd like to see.

THE RULES------------------------

1) The winner of the last round becomes the moderator of the round, and thus gets to choose the team in question to be built. He must also name the roster to be filled, which should be at least 4, but no more than 9.

2) You may not use more than 4 characters common in anyone else's team in the round, as in if team one has characters a,b,c,d,e, team two can have characters a,b,c,d in common, but cannot use character e. The team posted first takes priority.

3) You must write a brief two or three sentence plot summary, an explanation for each team member, and the creative team you'd like to see on the book.

4) After TEN DAYS, the round is declared closed. People will vote via PM and send it to the moderator, who will count the votes and declare winner. Like the Ultimatization Game, you CANNOT vote for yourself.

5) The winner declared gets to choose the team in the next round.

This Round:

Excalibur

New-excalibur_01.jpg

Round is Schedule to end: August 4th

I fixed the title for you.

I have an idea that will continue on from Captain Britain and MI:13 and maybe incorporate Marvelman...

EXCALIBUR
By Warren Ellis and Greg Land

I don't really like Excalibur because very few of the characters are actually European. Even the original team, there were mostly X-Men.

Natasha Romanova/Black Widow
The leader. Sexy. Deadly. Russian. Badass. Not actually black.
BlackWidow-Natasha.jpg

Dane Whitman/Black Knight
A member of the lineage of Black Knights. Wields the Ebony Blade, a sword forged by Merlin from a meteorite. Not actually black.
BlackKnight.jpg

Theresa Rourke Cassidy/Siryn
Banshee's Irish daughter. Screams really loud.
Siryn.jpg

Donald Blake/Thor
Norse god of thunder. Powerhouse. All-around badass.
Thor.gif

Pete Wisdom
British secret agent. Team liaison. Created by Warren Ellis.
petewisdom.jpg

Aw I fell for the Fantastic Four idea and worked on that. Ok I can swing this.

Excalibur!

There is trouble afoot in England. Shadowy figures have conspired to take hold of the magical world due to events involving the Scarlet Witch, Dr. Strange and others. Targeting the most powerful of magical creatures, Captain Britain is attacked and beaten to death by an unknown but familiar foe to Brian. Being visited by the Amulet of Right before his death, he tasks it with finding his greatest comrades from his time in Excalibur. This is how Nightcrawler came to bring together the iteration of Excalibur.

Kurt Wagner: Nightcrawler
Swashbuckling Demon
NightcrawlerX-Men.jpg

Meggan is dead, Rachel Grey is lost in space, and Kitty Pryde is nowhere to be found: this only leaves Kurt Wagner to reunite Excalibur and avenge Captain Britain. Feeling obligated to Brian after their years as friends, Kurt leaves the X-Men to begin recruiting the heroes best able to stopping this magical foe. The first thing Kurt sets out to do is recruit the best of his friends.

Piotr Rasputin: Colossus
Powerhouse with a Heart of Steel
AstonColossus.png

A former member of Excalibur himself, and Nightcrawler's best friend, Colossus is still reeling the past events of his life. Feeling somewhat more hopeful after Illyana's resurrection, Colossus joins Kurt's squad excited for less mutant related adventures. The team's powerhouse, Colossus finds even more hope when the team discovers on a mission that there's a chance that Kitty's still alive.

Betsy Braddock: Psylocke
Psionic Ninja Assassin
205895-188246-psylocke_super.jpg

Finally returning from her time in the Exiles, Psylocke is shattered when she finds that her brother has been killed, Betsy seeks to kill whoever caused this to happen. Being approached by Nightcrawler, Betsy agrees to become the team's psychic and assassin, surprising her teammates with the brutality she unleashes on their enemies.

Amanda Sefton: Daytripper
Former Gatekeeper of Limbo
711194-136009_159757_amanda_sefton_super_super.jpg

The first love of Nightcrawler's life, Amanda Sefton is at a strange point of her life with all of the turmoil in the magical world. Seeking someone of true magical ability that he trusts, Kurt brings his ex back into the fold, also subconsciously hoping to rekindle a relationship with the sorceress.

Joey Chapman: Union Jack
English Superagent of all Skills
UnionJackLondonFallingTPB.jpg

Tasked by MI-13 to find Captain Britain's killer, Union Jack works his way into Nightcrawler's group of heroes. Acting with Psylocke as the main black ops operator, Joey finds himself hating the new magical angle to their missions, but finds himself growing closer to his telepathic teammate.

Opal Lun Saturnyne
Alternate Universe Protector
200px-Saturnyne.jpg

A current member of the Captain Britain Corps, Saturnyne was assaulted with visions from across the many universes she oversees. In each of these visions she has seen each world's version of Captain Britain killed. Finding Kurt Wagner and telling him that they need to act soon in order to save the parallel universe's magic and set things right. The problem is that this Saturnyne might have different motives than the survival of the Multiverse.

Shinobi Shaw
The Black Prince
224127-130761-shinobi-shaw_super.JPG

Companioning Saturnyne as her personal bodyguard and lover, Shinobi is a mystery to the members of Excalibur and an unwanted presence due to their tumultuous past. Claiming repentance in order to save the Multiverse for his new lover Saturnyne, Shinobi is allowed to join due to massive amounts of funding and his amazing density control powers. In earnest Shinobi sees these new Excalibur members as a means to forming his new Hellfire Club.

Creative Team: Can't see anyone else better to do this than Warren Ellis. I'd like to see Chris Bachalo doing writing chores on this because I love how his style has progressed.

Last edited:
Well this seemed to be a flop. Lets say voting begins tomorrow incase anyone wants to try and get an entry in

I'll give this a shot!

Unofficially known as "Dark Excalibur"

The basic idea goes like this: if Captain Britain and MI:13 is the jolly public face of official British superheroics, then Excalibur are its black ops wing, funded also by MI:13, but administered by Black Air, to whom the missions are "subcontracted" by MI:13.

The group is assembled specifically as a desperate response to ensure British military supremacy, given the rising influence of H.A.M.M.E.R., under Norman Osborn's Dark Reign.

The principal cast would include:

Opul Lun Sat-Yr-9, posing as Courtney Ross
taskmistress/nominal handler
184695-47518-courtney-ross_large.jpg

Jamie Braddock
clinically insane reality warper; he'll be depicted as closer in appearance to comedian Russell Brand; also, his powers are significantly restrained
78986-11381-jamie-braddock_super.jpg

Gatecrasher
alien technologist and chief scientist of the group
186663-92712-gatecrasher_large.jpg

The Fury
genocidal android; this incarnation of the character is more like OMAC
440px-Thefury.jpg

Alistaire Stuart
spymaster extraordinaire
261188-5144-alistaire-stuart_large.jpg

And the real person who's pulling the strings...

Mad Jim Jaspers
madjimj2.jpg

Lots of skullduggery, mind control, sweetheart deals, and corruption (albeit in a uniquely genteel British way) are revealed, until the group ultimately finds itself at cross purposes with it more genuinely heroic public counterpart. Think of it as Torchwood crossed with Checkmate.

There you have it. Not the most popular roster of characters, but I'm pitching this as the intended cast for a miniseries that lasts no longer than the larger Dark Reign event, anyway.

The ideal creative team would be predominantly English, with Andy Diggle (The Losers) scripting, based on plots by me, and Jamie McKelvie (Phonogram, Suburban Glamour) handling art duties. We'd work closely with Paul Cornell, to make sure none of our story-lines clash with any of his.

This series would be aimed at two sets of fans:

* longtime Excalibur enthusiasts who are familiar with the original versions of the characters involved (though honestly, these characters are not entirely consistent with their previous incarnations; which is frankly easy to get away with, when you're using a villain as godlike as Jim Jaspers, anyway)

* fans of series like Checkmate, Queen & Country, Suicide Squad, or even Weapon X

I doubt i'll win this, considering the star power on the other teams (c'mon... Nighcrawler! Colossus! How am I meant to top that?) But I figure I might as well give it a shot.

Last edited:
I approve of Jamie Braddock resembling Russell Brand and the creative team. Good work.

Sweet. I'm going to keep this open for lets say 12 hours incase anyone else gets inspire to do one. Then we vote

Compound I would love a mini dealing with our two teams going face to face as a part of the magical war that I had envisioned.

Compound I would love a mini dealing with our two teams going face to face as a part of the magical war that I had envisioned.
Indeed! I'd add that to my pull list, no questions asked, with either of our proposed creative teams. But the mini would need to run at least eight issues to allow each individual character on both sides of the war to really matter.

The funny thing about actual continuity is that there's enough internal conflict between the various British intelligence agencies to justify the existence of rival super teams. There's MI: 13, MI: 6, and S.T.R.I.K.E., in addition to numerous quasi-private factions (Black Air, W.H.O., R.C.X.). And it sometimes feels like entire organizations get renamed, dissolved, or replaced, from one story to the next. But all of it is regarded as canon. As far as I can tell, every one is fair game.

And Bluebeast is the winner. Also I found it humorous one person vote for bluebeast saying "only because I don't believe compound will stick around to moderate a new round"

So BlueBeast the show is yours.

If the team choices suck less i'd be posting rosters :p

Seriously though I would have posted something, but it would have just been Captain Britain & MI13

*******it now i made myself sad

Also I found it humorous one person vote for bluebeast saying "only because I don't believe compound will stick around to moderate a new round"

:shock: :( :| :) :eek: :lol:

Oh ye of little faith! But the round's all yours, Bluebeast. Congrats to all who participated.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back