Dreamcasting 2009, Round 2: Fantastic Four.

Ok...I can see how I may have broken the rules by throwing Namor in there. But in my defense, I had this cast assembled...the reasoning already written...and the picture created like a month ago.

So for the sake of following the rules----disregard my Doom. I substitute Namor for my Doom.

I'll post my comments on casts later.....

Mines all fixed, I even swapped out my Paul Walker because Doom used him while mine was in violation limbo. I'm happy with my new choice

You people, you breaks the rulez!

If people keeping breaking the rules, it means the rules are stupid.

I'd suggest formatting it as a cast list and allowing one extra addition. Also, story pitches are necessary to contextualise casting choices.

Anyhow... my idea:

FANTASTIC FOUR
THE WORLD'S GREATEST FAMILY

The teaser poster is a family picture of the Fantastic Four, torn to pieces.

The film begins in the not too distant future, where the Fantastic Four are defenders of Earth, paragons of virtue, inspirational icons, and the architects of the future. Their presence has made the Earth a wonderful place.

Until Doctor Doom begins unravelling the tapestry of history.

The film has the pace of a documentary, tying a disparate chronology of events into a cohesive plot of murder, betrayal, jealousy, and love that spans the decades. With every choice made, the world turns. We see the origins and the fates of the characters and the world. A creeping, temporal amnesia threatens to remove the soul of the Fantastic Four from history.

What moments of your life would you fight to keep?

[imgl]http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/9535/hughreed.jpg[/imgl]Hugh Laurie is Mister Fantastic
This is all kinds of awesome. As I've said before, Reed should have a pipe and he should smoke it when he explains things to people. And Hugh Laurie would be so cool doing that. Yes, he's older for the role. But the point of this movie is that it takes place in the twilight years of the F4 and travels back through time. Youthing an older cast would be more effective than the reverse.

[imgl]http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/8356/catesue.jpg[/IMGl]Cate Blanchett is Invisible Woman
Because she is the right age, she's beautiful, and she can act. This is an all-star, highly skilled cast. I can have no lightweights.

[imgl]http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/6734/bradtorch.jpg[/imgl]Brad Pitt is Human Torch
He's hot. And so what if he and Blanchett were an item in Button? Tilda Swanson and Clooney hated each other in MICHAEL CLAYTON only to be lovers in BURN AFTER READING. Brad Pitt is terrific. And he still feels very young, even though he's got kids and is over 40.

[imgl]http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5551/mickeythingcopy.jpg[/imgl]Mickey Rourke is The Thing
Rourke used to be a handsome devil. He's a tough old bastard who can kick your ***, yet is completely lovable. The man is the Thing. And he could wear the suit and kick your *** in it. You know it.

[imgl]http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/2333/georgedoom.jpg[/imgl]George Clooney is Doctor Doom
Doctor Doom as Idi Amin with a super suit. Doom is undeniably charismatic and charming, and full of presence. Clooney is the right age and has the right amount of presence to be incredible here. Not only that, but Clooney's eyes and voice are very distinctive, which means he can wear the mask without hassle. Plus, I imagine in the movie that Doom becomes considerably more popular in the public eye as the film progresses, and Clooney can switch from master villain to lovable rogue in a heartbeat.

Other stuff:

I like all the casts. Hugo Weaving as Doom, Colbert as Reed - they're all very good. I almost went for Mel Gibson as Doom.

Also, I stumbled onto this thread because I wanted to put up my Watchmen and Nextwave casts which are too awesome. They could break the interwebz.

Last edited:
Bass said:
Hugo Weaving as Doom

That was mine :D Yay! I thought no one was going to mention mine as I assumed no one really liked it.

Nightmare Casting: Fantastic Four

Joe Jonas: Mr Fantastic
JoeJonas22.jpg

Hillary Duff: Invisible Woman
Hilary-Duff-Pic-009.jpg

Zac Effron: Human Torch
2101370291_a5eb87c935.jpg

Shai Lebouf: The Thing
5402-0.jpg

Rob Pattinson: Emo Dr Doom
2840926637_8c12b7affd.jpg

EDIT: can't you see them doing something like this?

Last edited:
If people keeping breaking the rules, it means the rules are stupid.
The first person broke the rules because, as he admitted, he did not read them and presumed they were same as the old rules.

Also, the reason why I'm being so strict about the rules, is because I want the moderator to retain the primacy of control, not the participants, but with some flexibility --- the swapping rule --- and that flexibility CAN be extended / control can be surrendered by the moderator at his discretion --- he can say, **** that, everybody have fun and cast what you want if he wants to do that.

Second, I'm not saying that there are no descriptions, I'm saying nobody go write their epic 1,500 word film treatment, but feel free to say, "Mel Gibson as Victor Van Damme, Australian-Belgian-American madman who still resents Reed for making him lose the spelling bee and blah blah." I think the descriptions that Doom and you write are the best examples of not going whole hog, and writing ONLY to contextualize the choices.

I love this round though, everyone's pulling out people that don't normally get pulled out at Dreamcasting: Gary Sinise, Billy Crudup, Hugh Laurie are all great out of nowhere choices for Mr. Fantastic. I'm likely to vote for Disorder, since he's got the most balanced ensemble, IMHO. :rockon:

Last edited:
I disagree with everything you say except for the stuff about how awesome my casting choices are.

My thoughts on casts so far!

Bluebeast: Gary Sinese as Reed is very smart, but I think your choices for Thing (Warburton), Black Bolt (Bana) are better. But I think your best choice is Zooey Deschanel as Crystal. I love that one.

Gemini: Stephen Colbert as Reed would've been my choice, but because you took it I had to go and find someone even better, so har-har. Javier Bardem is also a very cool Doom.

Mole: Sean Maher is Reed is a pretty cool idea, but I really like Vin Diesel as Thing and Hugo Weaving as Dr Doom. Very cool.

VVD: I think Jeffrey Dean Morgan as The Thing is brilliant. My favourite pick by far. JDM is a very handsome man. Him becoming Thing is very cool. I like James Marsden as Namor a great deal, and Daniel Craig as Doctor Doom is interesting. I don't know if it'd work, but I'd like to see it nonetheless.

Darkknight: Adrian Pasdar as Reed is a very smart choice. I'd like to see that. Josh Brolin as Thing too.

Disorder: Billy Crudup as Reed is a fine choice, and I'd love Jeremy Irons as Doom.

Captain Canuck: I'm afraid, I didn't like your cast. None of the actors remotely interest me.

What I find interesting is that I, honestly, have not liked anyone's choices for Torch or Invisible Woman. Charlize Theron comes close, but I just didn't care for any of the choices presented. Contrast this with Thing and Reed and Doom who have had many, many alternate casts that could spin the movie in different ways, I think it's a real shame. :/

Last edited:
Gary Sinise as Mr. Fantastic is just the most brilliant thing ever.

I don't even need a Fantastic Four movie. If all we get is Gary Sinise being Mr. Fantastic by himself for two hours, I'm fine with that.

I'd love to do a Fantastic Four cast, but I'm not posting anything until we get a game where the pitches are more important.

Sinese as Reed......Isaacs as Doom

I buy that physically. I can see Sinese as Reed.....but I'm having a hard time picturing him in Reed's calm mannerisms.

Colbert as Reed

This in a CGI fantasy adventure would be awesome. The rest of the cast...not so much.

Maher as Reed....Reynolds as Torch....Weaving as Doom

Your Young Reed is brilliant. As long as he can be more confident and not be Simon Tamm....this could be the best casting choice you've ever made.

Reynolds as Torch, however, is very cliched. I know a lot of people remember Reynolds from his sarcastic Van Wilder or snarkish Hannibal King role....but he's soooo much better than those. I just hate seeing him typecasted like that.

Weaving as Doom's voice? Yes. As Doom himself? No.

Hamm as Reed....Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Thing....Marsden as Namor

**** you. You brilliant bastard.

Entire Cast

Hmmm....sorry. Normally you have excellent casts. This time I'm not feeling a single choice. :(

Crudup as Reed...Dillon as Thing...Cooper as Torch...Irons as Doom

This cast to me...is what Compound's New Avengers cast was to ourchair.

My cast is great...but I'm so mad that I didn't think of these choices first.

Laurie as Reed

I do not like Hugh Laurie. Even with the British accent.

I also do not like green eggs and ham.

Latest posts

Back