Dreamcasting 2009 Round 6: Kingdom Come

bluebeast

These are the rules of Dreamcasting 2009, they may not be broken, altered or changed in any way shape or form. Seriously:

1) The winner of the last round becomes the moderator of the next round, and is free to choose any property to be cast, whether it is based from comics, videogames, books, cartoons or real world figures.

2) When the moderator chooses a property, he or she may specify a medium (TV, film, cartoon) and a cast of at least 4 characters and a maximum of 9. Should he or she fail to specify a medium, then it is open game what medium participants want to play with.

3) Actors may not reprise their parts at all. Those who have played a character on film or TV may not play the character on voice and vice versa. Simply put, Kevin Conroy cannot put on a Batsuit and Christian Bale is not allowed to voices in your fantasy Batman CG adventure.

4) If you would like to cast an additional character, you must swap one out for another. However, the moderator has the option of leaving blank spots deliberately, with a maximum of 9. For example, he or she may declare, "Fantastic Four, and at least two bad guys and a Fantastic Friend (i.e. She-Hulk, Power Man)

5) Each round lasts ten days from the point the moderator posts it, and voting lasts for at least a day and any time past that needed to secure a victory.

6) And a final reminder: This is Dreamcasting, not DreamMovie. There are no story pitches. You can describe the character, talk about the kind of arc perhaps he goes through or what nuance he brings to the character or what kind of incarnation he's playing, but you can't write a freaking trilogy. No exceptions. Emphasize casting decisions and why you chose an actor.

KINGDOM COME

85516-kingdom-come_400.jpg

You must cast:

Kal El: Superman

Diana: Wonder Woman

Bruce Wayne: The Batman

Lex Luthor

Billy Batson: Captain Marvel

Lance Corporal David Reid: Magog

The Spectre

Norman McCay

One Additional Cast Member

Round Ends in Two Weeks. And let's have some participation in this one everyone, it's one of the highest requested rounds.

Last edited:
Interesting.

I'm trying to decide whether to cast Green Lantern (Alan Scott), Red Robin, or Ibn al Xu'ffasch.

Last edited:
AbsoluteKingdomCome001bbb.jpg

Superman: Richard Burgi
Richard-Burgi-as-Karl-Mayer.jpg

Superman is always hard to cast. I'm not too sure about this one, but it's the best I could come up with. This one is based primarily off of appearance. I think there is a certain quality in the actors appearance that will work well for Superman as he appears in Kingdom Come. I've seen him in a few TV shows and he seems like a capable actor.

Wonder Woman: Monica Dean
monica-barladeanu-39-ridimensionata.jpg

Not only is she hot, but she looks like she could kick your ***. Both of these qualities are needed for a good Wonder Woman. Again, this is based primarily off of appearance, but I have seen her in a few TV roles and she seems like she is a good actress.

The Batman: Clint Eastwood
clint_eastwood.jpg

I cast Eastwood as old-man Bruce for the Batman Beyond round so I was hesitant to cast him again. I couldn't think of anyone better though so I went with him again. He may be a bit older than Bruce is in the GN, but I think Eastwood's skill as an actor more than makes up for this. My second choice was Clooney.

Lex Luthor: William Hurt
william_hurt_william_marshall_robin_hood.jpg

He's pretty evil in A History of Violence. And if he adds a few pounds he'd look ideal. Michael Ironside was a close second.

Billy Batson/Captain Marvel: Brandon Molale
BrandonMolale.jpg

He's the spitting image of Alex Ross' Billy Batson. I've heard he's a horrible actor, but lets be honest, Captain Marvel primarily stands around grinning like an idiot throughout the story. I think he can handle that.

Magog: Gerard Butler
gerard.jpg

While he may not technically be old enough, makeup should be able to fix that. Besides, it just feels right.

The Spectre: Ralph Fiennes
300_59375.jpg

This was cast primarily based on his work as Voldemort in the Harry Potter movies. There's a certain quality about his voice in those that I like for the Spectre. While my initial reaction was to go with a big James Earl Jones type voice, I think something softer would work better.

Norman McCay: James Cromwell
cromwell.jpg

He certainly looks like Norman McCay from the GN. I like it.

Green Lantern: James Caan
1998-james-caan-lg-27223710.jpg

Just because.

Well, that was a pretty hard round. Any thoughts on my cast?

Last edited:
Good job DARKNIGHT. I actually have William Hurt picked as Magog so interesting switch on that one. And make sure that the rest of you guys do this too so we get some participation up.

Last edited:
Kal El: Superman – Barry Van Dyke – Anyone here ever seen Diagnosis Murder? Well Barry plays the cop who's morals and ethics match superman's He also looks like the squared jaw hero type. Also important but his voice and look also feel hard working like Superman would be after working on a farm for so long. He IS old superman.

Diana: Wonder Woman – Sigourney Weaver
– Since Xena was out the question I had to look other tough actresses who were also hot. Then I thought of Sigourney Weaver. She was bad *** in alien tough in ghostbusters (though damsel in distress) for those reasons she is my wonder woman.

Bruce Wayne: The Batman – Anthony Hopkins – Batman needs to be dark. But as an old man it's pretty hard to get that dark batman feel. I chose Anthony Hopkins as he sounds dark but also his look is perfect for old batman. IMO only two possible choices for old batman = Anthony Hopkins or Harrison Ford. I chose Hopkins as I thought he was better of the two.

Lex Luthor – Michael Douglas
– Old Lex was pretty much an evil slimy business man. I wanted that quality played up more. Michael Douglas's Gordon Gekko is pretty much what I was looking for here. Hence Michael Douglas was picked.

Captain Marvel – Dolph Lundgren
– Hear me out before you think "Mole your mad!" He was pretty much a villain in Kingdom come and his dialogue wasn't too big. Think of the Russian in rocky IV. You need someone who is that intimidating in this role so his fights with superman have some merit. But at the same time been previously good he needs the comic book "square jawed hero" look too. For those reasons Dolph is my Marvel.

Lance Corporal David Reid: Magog – Ewan McGregor – The next man of tomorrow. He was fairly arrogant about how good he was and a pretty tough character. Imagine Ewan McGregor's Obi wan crossed with His Mark Renton. It would be pretty interesting too see. But also Ewan McGregor has a certain charm mixed with people use to seeing him as the hero and it's believable the people would get behind him. While he may not be who everyone would want in the role he'd be interesting.

The Spectre – Keith David – Needed a voice for this but wanted to avoid my safety net of "Hugo Weaving" So I instead tried thinking of voices I liked. I thought of Vader I thought of Megatron then it hit me. Goliath from Gargoyles.

Norman McCay – Michael Caine
– I tried to find someone who had been in similar roles as this character. Then I got thinking and the seeing the spirits and the grand journey while very different bares some similarities to what Ebenezer Scrooge goes through. Yes it is different I know but the similarities needed me to find an actor who handle that. So based on his work in a Muppets Christmas carol I chose Michael Caine

Vandal Savage – Jonathan Frakes
– This choice was based on looks I'll admit. Vandal Savage to me always looked like Riker so old version I chose Jonathan Frakes as is old Riker.

This is my cast, remember not to vote for this chums, cause I've been working on this one forever.

Kingdom Come

Superman: Chris Noth
Chris_Noth-1-Sex_and_the_City_The_Movie.jpg

A Superman who has been plagued by the death of his family and loss of faith in humanity, this is not the optimistic hero we are used to. Chris Noth might be known for Sex and the City and some other "chick" films, but he's shown ample pathos in Law and Order and other films such as Cast Away, and would have the fatherly figure needed to be the aged Man of Steel. And I also think he has the look down for the character.

Wonder Woman: Angie Harmon
293_harmon_angie2_080107.jpg

This is a Wonder Woman who is much harder and physical than her modern incarnation; as such she needs to be played by someone who has a proficiency for tough characters. Angie Harmon is another Law and Order alum who has not only the look but the chops to play Diana.

The Batman: Harrison Ford
Harrison_Ford.jpg

I find that this Batman is a much more devil may care and chivalric Batman than his dark and grim incarnation of late. Harrison Ford in the most recent Indi movie is almost perfect for this role.

Lex Luthor: Ciarán Hinds
42.jpg

As the ultra manipulative head of the Human Liberation Front, Luthor has to be even more destructive than his modern incarnation. He has to be a manipulative bastard willing to do anything to 'save' humanity. Ciarán Hinds of Rome has that absolute quality about him, and would have a physical presence able to play the utter bastard that Luthor is.

Billy Batson: Patrick Warburton
Patrick%20Warburton.jpg

Like it was said earlier, Marvel doesn't have to say much, but he has to look like someone who would be a great hero who's lost his way. Warburton might seem like a simplistic choice for Batson, but he's got the look down perfectly and I think he could pull off the extremely emotional scene before the death of the supermen.

Magog: William Hurt
william_hurt.jpg

Magog's not really the bad guy of the story; not like Luthor. It would seem that Magog is going to be the one who Superman has to face in the finale of the story but it's shown that he's just a man who wanted too hard to be like the Man of Steel. I'd love to see William Hurt in the role of the New Man of Tomorrow based on the fact that I want him to have the soul of a tortured warrior, something the Hurt has in spades.

The Spectre: Christopher Eccleston
ecc460.jpg

The Spectre plays a very interesting role in this story as a watcher, but as a being that plays an integral part in crux of the film. The Spectre has to be a stoic and aloof being that the viewer cannot relate to at all; but he has a brief moment of clarity at the climax in which Jim Corrigan takes full control of his feelings. Christopher Eccleston has a great speaking voice and eyes that stare through people. I think he would play the Spirit of Vengeance that is the Spectre.

Norman McCay: John Hurt
arts-graphics-2008_1185093a.jpg

As opposed to the Spectre's non-relatability, Norman McCay is the ultimate everyman, viewing the metahumans as they reign terror on the humans. He's the one that questions why, and looks to God in order to stay strong. John Hurt has a very human quality about him and would play the role very well in my opinion.

Green Arrow: Donald Sutherland
sutherland12.jpg

As Batman's second hand man, Oliver Queen is a cantankerous dick that is still carries the quiver in the pursuit of justice. Queen's the most passionate person in the Outsiders, and has to be very vocal when it comes to Superman and Batman's dealings. Donald Sutherland's basically a living version of Ollie, and would be great for the role.

Last edited:
Harrison Ford was my second choice for Batman :)

KINGDOM COME

Superman - Paul Johansson

pauljohanssononetreehil.jpg

Despite starring in not the highest of quality of projects for most of his career, he really is a solid actor. Johnansson could definitely pull off the rougher around the edges Superman of Kingdom Come.

Batman - Victor Garber

0214garber.jpg

Batman is by far the hardest character to cast. I think Garber could pull off a nice mix of playboy charm, daredevil spirit and obsessive stubbornness required for the older Bruce Wayne.

Wonder Woman - Jennifer Connelly

connxvw.jpg

I've always thought that Connelly would make the perfect Wonder Woman, but unfortunately she would be a little too old for a current movie. However, she's perfect as the immortal, but still a little older Wonder Woman.

Lex Luthor - Alan Dale

250px08636.jpg

It was between him and Ian McShane. Both could easily pull off the manipulative and ruthless Luthor, but Dale had a slight edge just because he resembles Ross' Luthor more than McShane.

Captain Marvel - Liev Schreiber

liev.jpg

Since the two best choices were already taken, I had to settle on Schreiber. Screiber can pull off the square jawed and carefree attitude of Marvel, while still being a conniving villain.

Magog - Ray Stevenson

rayu.jpg

I really had no idea how to cast this part. I just thought of some one who could appropriately bad *** and took it from there.

The Spectre - Liam Neeson

liamneeson.jpg

At 6' 5" Neeson has the perfect stature for The Spectre and it doesn't hurt that he has one of the best voices in Hollywood.

Norman McCay - Ian Holm

813726311.gif

Although Alex Ross' McCay is tall and slender and Ian Holm is short and stocky, Holm is so good at playing human and relatable characters that I'm sure any physical differences could be put a side for this excellent actor.

Green Lantern - Robert Redford

robertredfordgetsengage.jpg

Like Connelly, Redford is a little old for the current incarnation of this character, but is perfect for the slightly aged Kingdom Come version.

Last edited:
Ok fellas and ladies, time to vote.

DARKKNIGHT
Mole
DisorderInThe House

You have 24 hours

DARKKNIGHT. No contest. I've seen years worth of KC dreamcasts, including my own, and that one might be the best. An excellent mix of obvious-so-why-tamper-with-its like Eastwood and unusual-but-intriguing like Caan. My main alteration would be Lucy Lawless as Wonder Woman, but if they greenlit it right now with that cast I'd be a very happy die-hard KC fan.

My ideal Kingdom Come might be a somewhat rotoscoped epic, with Lawless, a resurrected CGI Gregory Peck as Batman and a digitally-embiggened John C. McGinley as Superman.

Latest posts

Back