Dreamcasting 2009 Round 7: The Wizard of Oz

DARKKNIGHT

These are the rules of Dreamcasting 2009, they may not be broken, altered or changed in any way shape or form. Seriously:

1) The winner of the last round becomes the moderator of the next round, and is free to choose any property to be cast, whether it is based from comics, videogames, books, cartoons or real world figures.

2) When the moderator chooses a property, he or she may specify a medium (TV, film, cartoon) and a cast of at least 4 characters and a maximum of 9. Should he or she fail to specify a medium, then it is open game what medium participants want to play with.

3) Actors may not reprise their parts at all. Those who have played a character on film or TV may not play the character on voice and vice versa. Simply put, Kevin Conroy cannot put on a Batsuit and Christian Bale is not allowed to voices in your fantasy Batman CG adventure.

4) If you would like to cast an additional character, you must swap one out for another. However, the moderator has the option of leaving blank spots deliberately, with a maximum of 9. For example, he or she may declare, "Fantastic Four, and at least two bad guys and a Fantastic Friend (i.e. She-Hulk, Power Man)

5) Each round lasts ten days from the point the moderator posts it, and voting lasts for at least a day and any time past that needed to secure a victory.

6) And a final reminder: This is Dreamcasting, not DreamMovie. There are no story pitches. You can describe the character, talk about the kind of arc perhaps he goes through or what nuance he brings to the character or what kind of incarnation he's playing, but you can't write a freaking trilogy. No exceptions. Emphasize casting decisions and why you chose an actor.

The Wizard of Oz

wizard_of_oz.jpg

You Must Cast:

Dorothy Gale

The Scarecrow

Tin Man

Cowardly Lion

Glinda the Good Witch of the North

The Wicked Witch of the West

The Wizard of Oz

Aunt Em

Uncle Henry

I decided to not do a comic book property this time. Mainly because I couldn't think of anything that seemed fresh. Anyway, I hope you guys like the topic. You have two weeks...

I'll repost my cast from the last time, but altered a bit with a different Dorothy plus Uncle Henry and Autie Em.

I'd want the movie to be much more serious than the 1939 one, while still being very uplifting and magical. This one would not be a musical(the original did that part perfectly anyway), and the tone would be both bright and darkly beautiful without going for full-blown Burtonesque macabre. For the director, as much as I disliked Pan's Labyrinth as a whole, the fantasy parts(all 15 minutes of them) had almost the exact look I want for this, so I'm giving the directoral reigns to Guillermo del Toro(I considered Alfonso Cuaron too).

Okay, so...

An unknown - Dorothy
Or at least an unknown-to-me. I thought over all the current 15-25 actresses out there and none of them really seem to speak to me. Ellen Page is the only one that might feel right. Count her as my choice, I guess, but there's probably somebody better out there.

2x20_henryana.jpg

The Scarecrow - Michael Emerson
For the moment, forget all that cold, calculating stuff we've grown to love him for over the past year and remember what he was like back in Season 2 in the vault, terrified and shy without being cowardly, because he still had that edge of confidence and wit to him. That's what I want the Scarecrow to be like in this. Emerson certainly has the right voice and facial look too, but I think they might want to use CGI to make him taller and thiner, or even get del Toro-favourite Doug Jones to be the body and Emerson just be the head and all that. Doug Jones was one of my first choices for the part because physically he IS the Scarecorw, but the bottom line is I've never seen him act. Then I remembered how awesome Michael is. Oh, and speaking of Michaels....

showalter_flowers.jpg

The Tin Woodsman - Michael Showalter
For those of you blessed enough to see Wet Hot American Summer, you know that Showalter is actually pretty great at playing the straight(er) man in a comedy act(not that this would be a comedy or anything). This would be a great role for him to stretch his talents even farther. He's also one of the best physical actors out there.

Also worth noting is that I'd have Showalter wearing a green-screen suit with telemetric sensors the whole time, leaving only his face exposed, because the look I'm thinking of would require extensive CGI. He'd be a rusty clockpunk robot with plenty of exposed gears and springs, kind of similar to this (http://www.mactonnies.com/mechanoidbabe.jpg) but even rougher.

By the way, you have no idea how hard it was for me not to just go ahead and use all three 'Stella' members as the leads in this once I had the idea for Showalter.

51306382_10.jpg

Jeff Daniels as the Cowardly Lion
This role was definitely the hardest for me to choose, mainly because it's so hard to think of a way to have the character not be silly and comedic. Not only is he one of the best, most versatile actors on the planet, I think Daniels' got a good look for this(even though I still don't know how much of him would be CGI), and is great at portraying timid and nervous/neurotic, which is exactly how I want the character to be in this. Instead of being a blubbering little boy, he's a horribly underconfident and unsure nervous wreck, who stutters and draws into himself, mentally backing away all the time the way the Lion physically tried to do all those times in the original, while slowly gaining some handle on his worries and finally learning to steady himself and stand up to his fears. I'm thinking he'd be a little bit of his Harry from Dumb and Dumber mixed with George McFly.

I seriously considered about 8 different people for this one, from Paul Giamatti to Sean Astin. I was halfway through typing the paragraph about Tony Shalhoub when Daniels sprung into my head and became one of my favourite choices in the movie.

grandmamaafv2.jpg

The Wicked Witch of the West - Carol Kane
Those of you who have seen The Addams Family Values will probably understand where I'm coming from here. There's been a recent trend in movies of casting former-bombshell-now-middle-aged women as the icy *****goddess, to comedic affect and critical acclaim(Meryl Streep in The Devil Wears Prada, Michelle Pfeiffer in Stardust, soon to be Susan Sarandon in Enchanted). I don't want to go that way for this part. I don't want an over-the-top psycho tyrant(I considered Tilda Swinton and Helena Bonham Carter too) either. I think for my vision of this movie, what would work best is a genuine, vile, sickening 14th-Century Pagan-type witch. She was creepy and repulsive enough in The Addams Family Values. Now imagine that without the black comedy.

22CarolKane.jpg

Glinda the Good Witch of the North - Carol Kane
Because it would be a crime not to let Carol Kane show her sweet side too. The fact that she'd be playing both parts, however, would be almost incedental. I originally had her picked just to play the Wicked Witch, but after while racking my brain for Glinda the image of Carol in Scrooged(before she starts in with the crotch-kicking) came up. Just have her play it actually nice, and light her to look like an angel, and you've got it.

Father9.jpg
5737501_jim_broadbent7.jpg

The Wizard - Jim Broadbent
I've had this locked in for a long time, well before I knew he was officially playing Slughorn(allow me to again mention how awesome that is). Broadbent is always great, and his acting style is ideal for how I want the Wizard to be in this. I'd also want him to base a bit of his performance on H.G. Wells(try to find some video of him if you can, it's so cool to watch him talk). Don't forget though, this is the REAL Wizard I'm talking about. He's only the man behind the curtain. There's still the matter of the illusion of himself the Wizard creates, and for that I'm thinking...

GIANT CGI ORSON WELLES
wellesbig.gif

I think this would kick so much ***. Use the same technology they used to do this with Marlon Brando in Superman Returns and Sir Lawrence Olivier in Sky Captain, only better, to create a huge transluscent green and purple hologram of Welles' face. Use preexisting audio and computers to create a booming, echo-y, synthesized version of Welles' awesome cinematic voice, and there you have it, the perfect throwback to the Golden Age of 20th Century Cinema and at the same time an astonishing figure in its own right.

And finally
340x.jpg

Ken Jenkins as Uncle Henry.

Can't really think of an Auntie Em right now.

Last edited:
Can I just use my cast from the old dreamcasting? I won that one, if I remember correctly.

That would be for the lulz.

Funny - I was just watching Wizard of Oz with my kids last night (again...seems we watch it at least once a week) and I was wondering if it would be a crime to remake it. And by remake I mean really remake - not just a film version of the book.

I decided it wouldn't be. So if someone wants to do that, go ahead.

Redone mine from last time just keeping 2 picks.

Dorothy Gale – Allison Mack – there have been many versions of the Wizard of oz. Dorothy has ranged in age from teenager to young adult depending on the adaptation. So age wasn't that big a deal. However Dorothy always had a sweetness to her an innocence if you will. Allison Mack IMO has the qualities that make Dorothy who she is.

Also working on smallville she has experience acting with effects. Might not seem like much but considering the flying monkeys and other such effects the movie would logically use today that is important as you need someone who will make you believe she is afraid of the computer animated monkey as effects are like magic. Part of it is the doing but the most important part is the selling.

The Scarecrow – Mixture of cgi and live action – David Schwimmer. – I'm casting him based on awkward he and nervous he seems. Scarecrow is smart but completely doubts himself and so doesn't know he is. So the role needs someone who can show intelligence but in a nervous way I felt. As well as not believing in him self for most of the film.

Tin Man – Mixture of cgi and live action – Michael Clarke Duncan – This choice was because tin man needs to be someone who can appear as though he's a tough heartless guy but yet also seem very sensitive when the time calls for it. He always seems like the tough guy get in stuff like "the green mile" he showed he could do the sensitive stuff too. IMO he is perfect for what Tin Man needs.

Cowardly Lion – Mixture of cgi and live action – Masi Oka – The reason I picked him is the coward lion is very timid and afraid at first. He needs to be played by someone you feel sorry for or want to give a hug too. Masi Oka is that guy. Also as proven in heroes he can be brave when he needs to be. He fits the character well.

Glinda the Good Witch of the North – Nicole Kidman
– She has sweet pure quality to her that makes her perfect for the good witch. Also she is beautiful too which helps as I think the good witch needs to look Angel like when she helps Dorothy. I've chose her for those reasons.

The Wicked Witch of the West – Katey Sagal
– I picked her last time and she's 1 of the two choices I kept. She just seems to have that cackling evil witch quality at times and can also be pretty strong actress which is needed for a lead villainess.

The Wizard of Oz – Patrick Stewart
. I chose him last time but I'll choose him again. Everything about him IMO makes him perfect for the wizard. His head hologrammed with his voice = Perfect for wizard. Yet his old man look and the fact he doesn't look very wizard like makes him right for when the curtain is pulled back. He is the only choice for the wizard.

Aunt Em – Kristine Sutherland – I needed actress to be a mother figure as well as look like she could be a farmers wife.

Uncle Henry – John Wesley Shipp – I chose him as Uncle Henry needs to a) look like he could work on a farm and b) be a father figure for Dorothy.

Anyone have any opinions/thoughts on my cast?

THE WIZARD OF OZ​

Explanations to come

Dorothy Gale: Mila Kunis
mila-kunis-picture-2.jpg

The Scarecrow: Russell Brand
russell-brand-web.jpg

Tin Man: Alan Rickman
cmRICKMAN_ARTICLE_wideweb__470x375,2.jpg

Cowardly Lion: Ricky Gervais
ricky-gervais-jim-bowden.jpg

Glinda the Good Witch of the North: Meryl Streep
imgMeryl%20Streep3.jpg

The Wicked Witch of the West: Helen Mirren
helen_mirren(1).jpg

The Wizard of Oz: John Cleese
cleese.jpg

Aunt Em: Sally Field
sally-field-395x298-emmynomineesgallery.jpg

Uncle Henry: Sam Elliott
Sam_Elliott.jpg-1682.jpg

I'm struggling with the Tin Man. He's not as easy to cast as Scarecrow or the Cowardly Lion.

Planet-Man, I like your whole cast. Mole, Masi Oka and Katey Sagal are interesting choices. Bluebeast, Sally Field and Sam Elliott are interesting choices.

Judd Apatow's
The WIZARD of OZ

wizard_of_oz.jpg

Dorothy Gale - Jonah Hill
jonahhillda4.jpg

The Scarecrow - Jay Baruchel
jay-baruchel-1.jpg

Tin Man - Jason Segel
jason-segel-2_l.jpg

Cowardly Lion - Seth Rogen
sethrogen.jpg

Glinda - Leslie Mann
072206.jpg

Elphaba - Ken Jeong
Ken_Jeong_on_theStream_dot_TV.jpg

The Wizard - Paul Rudd
paul_rudd.jpg

Aunt Em - Craig Robinson
craig_robinson.jpg

Uncle Henry - Kevin Corrigan
grounded.jpg

Last edited:
Dorothy Gale - Alison Lohman

alisonlohmanreplacesell.jpg

The Scarecrow -
Jeremy Davies

danielseason5d.jpg

Tin Man - Idris Elba

idriselba.jpg

Cowardly Lion - Patton Oswalt

fan2009sundanceportrait.jpg

Glinda the Good Witch of the North - Charlize Theron

20070225charlizetheron.jpg

The Wicked Witch of the West - Helena Bonham Carter

helenabonhamcarterhoriz.jpg

The Wizard of Oz - Albert Finney

albertfinney02.jpg

Aunt Em - Ellen Burstyn

ellenburstyn734090.jpg

Uncle Henry - John Mahoney

5730a.jpg

Last edited:
well...we have two votes for two different people. because of this i'm giving everyone one more day to vote. please, at least one more person vote so that the tie can be broken.

VOTE!!!

There is one vote for Disorderinthehouse and one vote for Langsta.

Please, someone else vote so we can get on with a new round.

I vote for Disorderinthehouse

(sorry not been on here much to vote)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back