Dreamcasting 2009 Round 8: Pulp Heroes

DisorderInTheHouse

These are the rules of Dreamcasting 2009, they may not be broken, altered or changed in any way shape or form. Seriously:

1) The winner of the last round becomes the moderator of the next round, and is free to choose any property to be cast, whether it is based from comics, videogames, books, cartoons or real world figures.

2) When the moderator chooses a property, he or she may specify a medium (TV, film, cartoon) and a cast of at least 4 characters and a maximum of 9. Should he or she fail to specify a medium, then it is open game what medium participants want to play with.

3) Actors may not reprise their parts at all. Those who have played a character on film or TV may not play the character on voice and vice versa. Simply put, Kevin Conroy cannot put on a Batsuit and Christian Bale is not allowed to voices in your fantasy Batman CG adventure.

4) If you would like to cast an additional character, you must swap one out for another. However, the moderator has the option of leaving blank spots deliberately, with a maximum of 9. For example, he or she may declare, "Fantastic Four, and at least two bad guys and a Fantastic Friend (i.e. She-Hulk, Power Man)

5) Each round lasts ten days from the point the moderator posts it, and voting lasts for at least a day and any time past that needed to secure a victory.

6) And a final reminder: This is Dreamcasting, not DreamMovie. There are no story pitches. You can describe the character, talk about the kind of arc perhaps he goes through or what nuance he brings to the character or what kind of incarnation he's playing, but you can't write a freaking trilogy. No exceptions. Emphasize casting decisions and why you chose an actor.

Pulp Heroes​

10080115docsavagevolume.jpg

You Must Cast:

The Shadow
Doc Savage
Tarzan
The Phantom
Zorro
Fu Manchu

You may also cast two additional characters.

This round will end in two weeks.

I figured I'd get the most badass actors to play these badass characters so here we go. You may or may not get an explanation because I think these choices speak for themselves.

The Shadow: Ron Perlman
ro-perlman.jpg

Doc Savage: Jon Hamm
20080904221041-john-hamm.jpg

Tarzan: Javier Bardem
javier-bardem-large.jpg

Jane Porter: Marion Cotillard
marion_cotillard.jpg

The Phantom: Bruce Willis
039_15135~Bruce-Willis-Posters.jpg

Zorro: Benicio del Toro
Benicio_Del_Toro.jpg

Fu Manchu: Ken Watanabe
10_ken_watanabe_the_last_samurai-p.jpg

You know, this could be difficult, using my huge stable of actors in the USA network or SyFy network, but I think I could do it.

Mine would be a mini, or a one season show, with interlocking stories in which the pulp heroes slowly get together.

Last edited:
The way I would do this story is a bunch of one shot episodes featuring each of these characters to explore them, then a mini series tying them all together. And here's the actors.

Doc Savage - Colin Ferguson
ColinFerguso_Cohen_12456609.jpg

The Shadow - Anthony Micheal Hall
anthony-michael-hall.jpg

Tarzan - Jason Statham
Jason.jpg

The Phantom - Jeffrey Donovan
jeffreydonovan.gif

Zorro - Rodrigo Santoro
rodrigo.jpg

Fu Manchu - Stephen Chow
stephen-chow-header.jpg

Ralph Fiennes as The Shadow/Lamont Cranston/Kent Allard/[Multiple Other Identities]

RalphFiennes9.jpg
TheShadow-SamRaimi.jpg

If you read The Shadow's original stories as well as many of his comic appearances, you will realise that he is a lot more than just the inspiration for Batman. The Shadow is far, far darker, more driven and more resourceful than Batman and in many ways isn't really recognisable as human, the way Batman would be. Where there is some reasoning that Bruce Wayne bears roots in a real person, there is absolutely no debate that the Shadow's other identities are simply throwaway disguises which he uses depending on the situation. His eyes are deep, cold and evil in a way that Fiennes' are and his nose is very long, elegant and noticeable which Fiennes' is as well. Maybe some minor prosthesis or CGI, but I'd say leave it.

James Franco as Harry Vincent

Harry Vincent is a man The Shadow saves from committing suicide. After this, The Shadow 'owns' Vincent and forces him to work as an agent (of which The Shadow has hundreds) on his behalf. Vincent is usually the protagonist of Shadow stories and the story is usually told from his perspective. Franco (when he's good) has the sort of nervous intensity to pull this character off.

Bradley Cooper as The Phantom/Kitt Walker the 21st

RMR_05174_001_p.jpg
23573151970_3_P1.gif

The Phantom isn't a dark superhero at all. He's a fun, light-hearted, quippy swashbuckler with lots of sex appeal. Cooper is all about cocky smarminess in most of his film appearances and he could potentially look pretty good in purple spandex. (Also, it should be pointed out that The Phantom isn't a pulp hero. He's a comic strip hero.)

Johnny Depp as Don Diego De La Vega/El Zorro

johnny-depp-.jpg
curseofcapistrano.jpg

I know that Depp is an exhaustively obvious choice for everyone in anything, ever, and I know he's not Spanish, but he has a chameleon-like quality for playing characters of all nations and his eyes have the deadly romance of Zorro. He's also excellent at playing fun-loving, swashbuckling characters which is exactly what Zorro is (again, he's not remotely dark. He's Robin Hood, not Batman). Depp would be unique enough that his performance could be completely different from Banderas or Hopkins (remember that Banderas is playing Zorro II).

Dwayne Johnson
as Doc Savage

halfsleevetatt2.jpg
docsa2.jpg

First of all, contrary to popular belief, The Rock can act. Second of all, Doc Savage's first and foremost characteristic is his strength. He is absolutely immense. Second is his mind which is described as being second to none. Lastly, Doc Savage is supposed to look like he is made of pure gold and Johnson's skin-colour would suit this procedure well as he is already a fascinating-looking creature. I think this would be an extremely interesting performance.

Adrian Grenier as Tarzan of the Apes

adrian-grenier.jpg
tantortarzan.jpg

Tarzan should be exotic looking, rather than All-American and should be athletic, rather than muscular. Plus, Grenier's got a sort of feral look about him, while maintaining a sensitive look (Tarzan's most interesting quality isn't his beastliness, but his humanity).

Last edited:
This Guy as Fu Manchu

HOT.jpg

Sorry, but I have no idea who Fu Manchu is and there was already too many images in my previous post. Needless to say, this guy should play him. ;)

I like all the casts so far. Gothamite probably has the most solid one so far, but Ultimate Houde has a lot of great picks too.

Fu Manchu is a Chinese pulp hero, an assassin or something in that vain, that fought against his masters.

I think anyways.

But good cast Gothamite.

Fu Manchu is an evil Chinese criminal genius. See: Ming the Merciless, The Mandarin, Lo-Pan, Dr. No etc.

Latest posts

Back