Dreamcasting # 3: Watchmen

Okay, I failed to realize I went to bed two hours before I was supposed to close this round.

Please PM me your votes now. I will count the votes and declare the winner. Like the Ultimatization Game, you CANNOT vote for yourself. Also the moderator of the round does not vote.

You may vote for:

ProjectX2's cast - http://ultimatecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=275020&postcount=2

Hibiki's cast - http://ultimatecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=275023&postcount=3

bluebeast's cast - http://ultimatecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=275449&postcount=4

Dr. Strangefate's cast - http://ultimatecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=278648&postcount=5

marvelman's cast - http://ultimatecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=278733&postcount=16

Last edited:
Okay, so I've been busy with graduation committee work and completely forgot to close the voting.

Not that it matters.

After 3 days, only two votes came in. Bluebeast voted for himself, so his vote doesn't count. Houde voted for Dr. Strangefate, so the winner is:

Dr. Strangefate

The Doc gets to declare the next round. If anyone's still interested that is.

I wasn't qualified to play this round, but I'll be posting my Watchmen picks soon enough.

Here're my picks for the main cast of Watchmen:
07-watchmen00.jpg

Clockwise, from upper left: Jeffrey Combs, Harvey Keitel, Nathan Fillion, Neal McDonough, Michelle Forbes, Clancy Brown.

Walter Kovacs/Rorschach - Although not by any means an ugly actor, it wouldn't take too much makeup work to transform Jeffrey Combs into the freckle-faced red-headed likeness of Walter Kovacs. Those who know of his vocal performance in Justice League Unlimited as The Question might suspect me of shorthand typecasting, but I refuse to accept the idea that anyone else could play the morally absolute Rorschach. In numerous horror films, Combs has shown an ability to portray the psychologically unhinged and fanatically obsessive. Most people might remember how he parlayed these talents for comic effect as Milton Dammers in The Frighteners, and it's precisely this asset that makes him the pitch perfect choice for Rorschach.

Edward Blake/The Comedian - The complex role of the Comedian is a challenging one to play, and one that deserves the Method acting intensity of Harvey Keitel. With a wide range of performances in his resume, Keitel can bring to fore the multi-dimensional aspects of the late Edward Blake: a man who couches his self-superior, guilt-ridden, and most of all, morally ambivalent foibles in seemingly unquestioning patriotism and proto-fascistic ideals.

Daniel Dreiberg/Nite Owl II - The rogueishly handsome Nathan Fillion seems like an unlikely choice to play Nite Owl, but his profile-raising performance in TV's Firefly has given him all the experience necessary to do so. As Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Fillion played a man who experienced disillusionment when his military superiors surrendered the fight for independence, undermining all the convictions he fought for but eventually learns that there are still things worth fighting for. As Daniel Dreiberg, Fillion would be called to channel a similar character --- a man who has been going through the motions of life without purpose because the government decided it had no use for his heroics --- who eventually puts on his mask in an aim to misbehave.

John Osterman/Doctor Manhattan - With an intimidating stature and ominous voice, there are enough passable reasons to recommend Clancy Brown to play the emotionlessly imposing presence of Doctor Manhattan. However, as Brother Justin Crowe in HBO's Carnivale, Brown chronicled a transformative journey from an emotionally constipated preacher to a psychologically troubled avatar of darkness. This experience provides all the necessary evidence that Brown can handle the subtleties needed to show how omnipotence can threaten the psychological foundations of what makes us human.

Laurie Juspeczyk/Silk Spectre - Having maintained a consistent resume filled with strong female characters in science fiction fare, Michelle Forbes is a logical choice for Laurie Juspeczyk. Between her recurring role as a young Bajoran with father issues named Ro Laren on Star Trek: The Next Generation, and the unflinchingly decisive Admiral Cain on Battlestar Galactica, Forbes need only meld her experiences to play an unassumingly no-nonsense young woman who has developed tense feelings for following the footsteps of her mother and possesses the assertive spirit to respond to a world that refuses to accept vigilantes when they need them most.

Adrian Veidt/Ozymandias - As Deputy District Attorney David McNorris in the short-lived Boomtown, Neal McDonough played a morally ambiguous man driven by political ambition who conceals his self-loathing with outward brashness. At their core, both Veidt and McNorris are characters whose amazing qualities give rise to the most horrible of actions. As Ozymandias, McDonough would be incredibly believable as a man who uses his altruistic intentions as justification for methodical terror and is burdened by his extraordinary intelligence.

Last edited:
Sorry, I voted before I read you couldn't vote for yourself. My bad.
BTW. Nice picks Ourchair.

Last edited:
Here're my picks for the main cast of Watchmen:
07-watchmen00.jpg

Clockwise, from upper left: Jeffrey Combs, Harvey Keitel, Nathan Fillion, Neal McDonough, Michelle Forbes, Clancy Brown.

Walter Kovacs/Rorschach - Although not by any means an ugly actor, it wouldn't take too much makeup work to transform Jeffrey Combs into the freckle-faced red-headed likeness of Walter Kovacs. Those who know of his vocal performance in Justice League Unlimited as The Question might suspect me of shorthand typecasting, but I refuse to accept the idea that anyone else could play the morally absolute Rorschach. In numerous horror films, Combs has shown an ability to portray the psychologically unhinged and fanatically obsessive. Most people might remember how he parlayed these talents for comic effect as Milton Dammers in The Frighteners, and it's precisely this asset that makes him the pitch perfect choice for Rorschach.

Edward Blake/The Comedian - The complex role of the Comedian is a challenging one to play, and one that deserves the Method acting intensity of Harvey Keitel. With a wide range of performances in his resume, Keitel can bring to fore the multi-dimensional aspects of the late Edward Blake: a man who couches his self-superior, guilt-ridden, and most of all, morally ambivalent foibles in seemingly unquestioning patriotism and proto-fascistic ideals.

Daniel Dreiberg/Nite Owl II - The rogueishly handsome Nathan Fillion seems like an unlikely choice to play Nite Owl, but his profile-raising performance in TV's Firefly has given him all the experience necessary to do so. As Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Fillion played a man who experienced disillusionment when his military superiors surrendered the fight for independence, undermining all the convictions he fought for but eventually learns that there are still things worth fighting for. As Daniel Dreiberg, Fillion would be called to channel a similar character --- a man who has been going through the motions of life without purpose because the government decided it had no use for his heroics --- who eventually puts on his mask in an aim to misbehave.

John Osterman/Doctor Manhattan - With an intimidating stature and ominous voice, there are enough passable reasons to recommend Clancy Brown to play the emotionlessly imposing presence of Doctor Manhattan. However, as Brother Justin Crowe in HBO's Carnivale, Brown chronicled a transformative journey from an emotionally constipated preacher to a psychologically troubled avatar of darkness. This experience provides all the necessary evidence that Brown can handle the subtleties needed to show how omnipotence can threaten the psychological foundations of what makes us human.

Laurie Juspeczyk/Silk Spectre - Having maintained a consistent resume filled with strong female characters in science fiction fare, Michelle Forbes is a logical choice for Laurie Juspeczyk. Between her recurring role as a young Bajoran with father issues named Ro Laren on Star Trek: The Next Generation, and the unflinchingly decisive Admiral Cain on Battlestar Galactica, Forbes need only meld her experiences to play an unassumingly no-nonsense young woman who has developed tense feelings for following the footsteps of her mother and possesses the assertive spirit to respond to a world that refuses to accept vigilantes when they need them most.

Adrian Veidt/Ozymandias - As Deputy District Attorney David McNorris in the short-lived Boomtown, Neal McDonough played a morally ambiguous man driven by political ambition who conceals his self-loathing with outward brashness. At their core, both Veidt and McNorris are characters whose amazing qualities give rise to the most horrible of actions. As Ozymandias, McDonough would be incredibly believable as a man who uses his altruistic intentions as justification for methodical terror and is burdened by his extraordinary intelligence.

Once again Ourchair makes all other canidates moot.

Brilliant choices.....especially Keitel and McDonough.

Looking foward to your Authority choices.

Last edited:
I couldn't think of a cast for everyone but i did think of perhaps Adrian Pasdar for Doc Manhattan as he has this very cold and stoic persona about him, as well as one of the most rigid postures i've ever seen.

I also thought maybe Scott Bakula for Nite Owl, and maybe Greg Kinnear for Ozymandias.

Last edited:
Once again Ourchair makes all other canidates moot.

Brilliant choices.....especially Keitel and McDonough.

Looking foward to your Authority choices.
Thanks.

I'm going to try to dreamcast with more stars more often. I seem to have a troubling reliance on TV personalities. Which is funny because I don't actually watch many TV shows. Also, my Michelle Forbes boner is showing.

In any case, there's really nothing wrong with that, but I tend to favor dreamcasts of other people that are not only 'realistically' budgeted, but seem like a marketable box-office sell. One of the best things at IGN is the Stax Report. That man really knows how to cast.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back