Dreamcasting #34- Further Entries into the Superman series

I get what your saying now. BTW I don't like the name dreammovie either, I think we've talked about that, I wanted DreamPitch or something.

I still like the comic book adaptations as their own thread.
The problem is that we occasionally find ourselves scraping the bottom of the barrel --- not in terms of 'lesser' properties, I have trouble applying such labels when it comes to marketability and would endorse M. Night Shyamalan's Guardians of the Galaxy or Leonardo DiCaprio as Concrete, but 'lesser' knowns --- in which people just become ambivalent about the round.* Witness the welcome received by WildC.A.T.s and Ultraverse rounds.

This is a result of the fact that while we are ALL comic fans, the overlap in terms of taste & awareness is far more disparate than conventional logic would apply. But the fact is the overlap is very small. The only reason why we can even hold dreamcast comic rounds with meaningful levels of participation is because every comic fan --- even those like me who have only sporadically bought Marvel books --- has at least a movie-workable knowledge of superheroes, and in some cases a recognition of the non-superhero greats (i.e. Alan Moore's works, Vertigo classics, etc.). There's a knowledge base you can work from, that is unfortunately limited.

That said, I'm not saying I DON'T like a comics dedicated dreamcast thread. On the contrary, I agree with you, I'd just keep it and pray for the day I see a round devoted to Judd Winick's The Adventures of Barry Ween. Because you know, I want everyone to cast a chubby 10 year old with a potty mouth and have him fall in love with a scantily clad 10 year old girl from an alternate warrior-woman timeline.

I'm arguing for it on game terms because from a design perspective, it just doesn't make any sense. The division is completely uneven. It's like, a Dreamcast Thread for Comics and Dreamcast Thread for Everything Else is completely unbalanced, because it ghetto-izes everything that isn't a comic to share one thread. It's like saying an entire population of Chinese immigrants can only share one deck on the immigration boat, and Icelanders get another deck all to themselves.

Nevermind the fact that most of the time, the only rounds that see massive participation and interest are the ones that are superhero oriented. We all talk about how we want to cast non-superheroes, but it never happens. (IMO, it doesn't matter for me, as I am usually easily excited).

In any case, the setup I propose makes more sense because it'll be "Everything that has NEVER been a movie/TV show" and "Everything that ever has." and that I believe is much more balanced a distribution of properties in casting threads.

I have the idea.

But I was told that Ourchair is reinventing the round. I am waiting to hear back from him.

Ahhh I thought maybe you had been "Joe Kalicki'd", By that I mean your still waiting for the next guy to show up for his shift. :lol:

Latest posts

Back