Dreamcasting # 5 - Ex Machina (TV)

ourchair

I prefer to keep Dreamcasting in a games format simply because it gives structure the numerous attempts to cast our favorite comics and other pop properties. If the round ends, people can still post in their ideas. Plus, since the property is chosen by 'winners' of each round... it allows the choices to rotate.

Onwards!

The rules are:

1) The winner of the last round becomes the moderator of the round, and thus gets to choose the property or story in question to be adapted. Winner may also declare whether this property is an animated film, or a live-action one. He must also name the core characters to be cast, which should be at least 4, but no more than 9.

2) You may not use actors who have played the role before in the same medium before. Voice talents may not reprise their role, nor can film ones.

3) After two weeks, the round is declared closed. People will vote via PM and send it to the moderator, who will count the votes and declare winner. Like the Ultimatization Game, you CANNOT vote for yourself.

4) The winner declared gets to choose the property in the next round. And so the cycle continues.

The property for this round is:

EX MACHINA, THE TV SERIES

You must cast:

Mitchell Hundred, The Great Machine and Mayor of New York

Rick Bradbury Head of Security, former Harbor Patrol lieutenant and retired Marine.

Ivan "Kremlin" Tereshkov, Coney Island mechanic and Hundred family friend.

Amy Angotti, Police Commissioner

Dave Wylie, Deputy Mayor of New York and former councilman.

Journal Moore, Special Advisor on Youth Affairs

Candice Braving, Mayoral Chief of Staff

Round begins at April 18, 5AM GMT. Round ends at April 28, 5AM GMT.

(Yes, that's ten days. I felt like reducing the time to ten days instead of fourteen. But if anyone --- I mean anyone --- protests, I'll immediately change it back, no questions asked).

GO!

Adrian Pasdar as Mitchell Hundred... But aside from that im going to need to give this a good long think.

Adrian Pasdar as Mitchell Hundred... But aside from that im going to need to give this a good long think.
I have at least three of television's biggest guns already cast in there, but obviously I won't post them until after I declare a winner.

Round 5? Wow. I guess I've been gone a little while. I'll have to post something soon, since I'm back.

By the way, ourchair, that picture of Dakota Fanning is absolutely hideous. No wonder she's got to have her teeth capped for every role.

Last edited:
I don't actually own any copies of Ex Machina, so I have no material reference to draw from, but does anyone know how old Candice Braving is suggested to be or what are the age requirements for the Mayor's Chief of Staff?

Just for fun, I'm developing my cast. As a reminder, it would be ineligible to win.

Last edited:
I don't actually own any copies of Ex Machina, so I have no material reference to draw from, but does anyone know how old Candice Braving is suggested to be or what are the age requirements for the Mayor's Chief of Staff?
Anyone know the answer?

Anyone? Anyone?

Bueller?

I'd love an Ex Machina TV show and I remember seeing a guy who would be perfect for Mitchell Hundred... but now I can't remember who it was. :x

I'd love an Ex Machina TV show and I remember seeing a guy who would be perfect for Mitchell Hundred... but now I can't remember who it was. :x
I've cast everybody and I hope someone posts soon, because I'm getting antsy and am just stopping myself because posting my own non-compete entry would be just wrong --- in the sense that it pre-empts other people --- but it might spur people to figure out what their own choices are here (by provoking disagreement to find someone 'better')

Mitchell Hundred - Timothy Olyphant - While best known for his serious-natured role in "Deadwood". It's that combined with his few wiseass roles in "Girl Next Door" and "Gone In 60 Seconds" that make me believe that Olyphant can pull off the intelligent yet politically naive Mayor of NY, while injecting his humor into the snarkish pop culture based jokes of Hundred.

Rick Bradbury - Kenny Johnson - THEY KILLED LEMONHEAD!?!?!? WHY!?!?!? Huh, what? Sorry.....as a big fan of Kenny Jackson on FX's "The SHIELD" I'm all for him getting work. And while the show didn't really allow him to shine as an individual character, Johnson obviously has the physical aspect of the ex-Marine down pact. But it's his face that says "intelligent yet slightly clueless man....who is just following orders---and that's protect Hundred".

Ivan "Kremlin" Tereshkov - Scott Glenn - A tough one to be sure....vet actor, Glenn has the look down cold. And his length filmography is testament to his skills. It all falls in place.

Amy Angotti - Lauren Graham - I like Graham. She's not a bad actress either. I'd like to get her away from the "Gilmore Girl" chatty/rambling mom role and possibly flesh out a more hardcore/physical side of her. In order for her to fill this role as police chief, I'd have her watch Tommy Lee Jones' "The Fugitive", Kyra Sedgwick's "The Closer" and Glen Close in last season of "The Shield". Combine all those characters and toss in a bit of "Bad Santa" sass and mmmmmmmmm.

Dave Wylie - Rockmond Dunbar - Probably the toughest role to cast for me. I know a lot of people would like to throw out stereotypical respectable black actors for the role....but I think they'd all just be typecasted into playing the same role they might've played before. Insert Dunbar. With respectable drama turns as C-Note from FOX's "Prisonbreak"....it's his more emotional side from TV's "Soul Food" that made me pick him over the obvious Terrence Howard. Dunbar can mix the respectable political black man from "Soul Food" and throw in a bit grimyness, for lack of a better word, from "Prisonbreak" to play assistant from the ghetto Wylie.

Journal Moore - Sara Rue. I :heart: Rue. Seriously. Anyone whose a fan of work knows she has range. She's done drama before....but it's Rue's softhearted flightyness that would really bring Journal to life.

Candice Braving - Camryn Manheim - Not to be typecasted as the fat actress......just watch "The Practice" for my reasons. They'll be clear enough.

Rick Bradbury - Kenny Johnson - THEY KILLED LEMONHEAD!?!?!? WHY!?!?!? Huh, what? Sorry.....as a big fan of Kenny Jackson on FX's "The SHIELD" I'm all for him getting work. And while the show didn't really allow him to shine as an individual character, Johnson obviously has the physical aspect of the ex-Marine down pact. But it's his face that says "intelligent yet slightly clueless man....who is just following orders---and that's protect Hundred".
OH. MY. GOD. That is the best choice EVAR. No, you don't need to make any disclaimers about him. He's got everything - the combination of blue collar simplicity, a likeable grin, good-humored disposition -EVERYTHING needed to play Bradbury.

EVERYONE in The Shield needs to be in more movies and TV shows. EVERYONE. Even that blonde with the sniffer dogs that Mackey shagged with in season 3. Hell, a pre-Veronica Mars Kristen Bell was in the first season! Clearly the people of The Shield know excellence.

Victor Von Doom[/QUOTE said:
Mitchell Hundred - Timothy Olyphant - While best known for his serious-natured role in "Deadwood". It's that combined with his few wiseass roles in "Girl Next Door" and "Gone In 60 Seconds" that make me believe that Olyphant can pull off the intelligent yet politically naive Mayor of NY, while injecting his humor into the snarkish pop culture based jokes of Hundred.
Absolutely excellent choice too. Even his off-screen persona would be a good fit.

Victor Von Doom said:
Ivan "Kremlin" Tereshkov - Scott Glenn - A tough one to be sure....vet actor, Glenn has the look down cold. And his length filmography is testament to his skills. It all falls in place.
Actually one of my potential choices, but I ultimately decided on someone more 'conventional'. "Exxxxcellent."

Victor Von Doom said:
Journal Moore - Sara Rue. I :heart: Rue. Seriously. Anyone whose a fan of work knows she has range. She's done drama before....but it's Rue's softhearted flightyness that would really bring Journal to life.
Great choice too. Wish I thought of it. Well not so much as Lemonhead as Bradbury and Olyphant as Hundred, but STILL. Also I agree that Angotti'd be a good challenge for Graham. :D

Very imaginative casting. This rules. I'm totally hard now.

Last edited:
OH. MY. GOD. That is the best choice EVAR. No, you don't need to make any disclaimers about him. He's got everything - the combination of blue collar simplicity, a likeable grin, good-humored disposition -EVERYTHING needed to play Bradbury.

EVERYONE in The Shield needs to be in more movies and TV shows. EVERYONE. Even that blonde with the sniffer dogs that Mackey shagged with in season 3. Hell, a pre-Veronica Mars Kristen Bell was in the first season! Clearly the people of The Shield know excellence.

I knew of all the characters I casted, being a fellow fan of The Shield, you'd be most pleased with that choice.

And yeah...even Dutch needs to be in more stuff. Kristen Bell is prime character I wanna cast in something....as cliched as it'd be, she'd be perfect for Kara Zor-El's Supergirl. And I'm not even speaking as a horny fanboy. I'm talking hardcore TV/film fan.

Absolutely excellent choice too. Even his off-screen persona would be a good fit.

You know...for about the whole week I kept wanting to cast Dylan McDermott as Hundred. But then I realized that while he might look the part---he is too old to play the naive character Hundred is.

I just can't see a man his age getting powers and deciding to be a hero.

But after my Deadwood marathon last week I knew that Olyphant was to be my hero. DSF's choice was great as well, but the only flaw I could find is that the actor himself doesn't look like he could play naive/flawed very well.

Seeing as how I'm the only whose posted anything, I am now breaking out in hives of anticipation to see what you've come up with. As sad as I am.....I don't think anyone else will be submitting anything. Here's to hoping.

Guess I should give some serious thought to the next round and who I pick, huh? Hmmmmm....... :idea:

VVD has got this in the bag, and now I actually like Timothy Olyphant as Mayor Hundred more than the Nathan Petrellli... I could try to do it, but I can't come up with a better line-up.

But anyone who says there shouldnt be more rounds due to lack of participation in another round should be ignored, I want more Dreamcasting!

I knew of all the characters I casted, being a fellow fan of The Shield, you'd be most pleased with that choice.
The Shield FTW OMGlolz!!!11

CCH Pounder should play retired police officer turned Captain Marvel Monica Rambeau. Michael Jace should play teenaged Elvin Halliday turned super-strong adult Rage. Forest Whitaker could play a newly re-imagined evil desk version of Nick Fury. Walton Goggins and Benito Martinez can be anything they damn want to be.

Victor Von Doom said:
And yeah...even Dutch needs to be in more stuff. Kristen Bell is prime character I wanna cast in something....as cliched as it'd be, she'd be perfect for Kara Zor-El's Supergirl. And I'm not even speaking as a horny fanboy. I'm talking hardcore TV/film fan.
I think if you try to play down the super-good looks often expected of superheroes, just get Jay Karnes in shape and he could play the wittily self-superior but lovably goofy Ted Kord aka Blue Beetle.

I was half-tempted to cast Kristen Bell as Journal Moore, the only problem is that she's a relatively short-statured actress who, at the age of 26, still looks like she could pass for a teenager, standing next to people like Rockmond Dunbar and Lauren Graham, or even any of my picks.

Victor Von Doom said:
But after my Deadwood marathon last week I knew that Olyphant was to be my hero. DSF's choice was great as well, but the only flaw I could find is that the actor himself doesn't look like he could play naive/flawed very well.
I think more important than naivete, is the ability to play up the constantly contrarian nature of Hundred, as well as his goofy "****-eating grin" behavior.

Anyone? Anyone?

Come on....I can't be the only one with valid ideas!?!?!

I know Ourchair's got some but his ideas don't count this round.

ANYBODY!?!?!?!?!?!?

I would but never even read a single EX MACHINA comic or know anything about. If it was comic I did read or know about I would try

Round ends at April 28, 5AM GMT.

Stupid deadlines.

I'm so jonesin' for the next round. Particularly because it looks like unless someone else posts something...I'll be choosing the project. And I must say that I'm very excited about it......even though I have my cast already picked out and my submission wouldn't even count.

Anyways....I'm just rambling.....

Latest posts

Back