Dreamcasting # 7 - Y: The Last Man

Dr.Strangefate

He Sees You When You're Sleeping. He Knows When Yo
RULEZ

1) The winner of the last round becomes the moderator of the round, and thus gets to choose the property or story in question to be adapted. Winner may also declare whether this property is an animated film, or a live-action one. He must also name the core characters to be cast, which should be at least 4, but no more than 9.

2) You may not use actors who have played the role before in the same medium before. Voice talents may not reprise their role, nor can film ones.

3) After two weeks, the round is declared closed. People will vote via PM and send it to the moderator, who will count the votes and declare winner. Like the Ultimatization Game, you CANNOT vote for yourself.

4) The winner declared gets to choose the property in the next round.

-----
Y: The Last Man

This is for an HBO Miniseries (aka - Movie Quality production, and acting, but anywhere from 6-10 hours)

You Must Cast:

Yorick Brown - The Last Man Alive

Agent 355 - US Government Agent assigned to keep Yorick Alive as he traverses the Globe

Doctor Alison Mann - Lesbian Geneticist who might be the key to bringing men back

Beth Deville - Yorick's fiancee, whom he is travelling the world to see again

Hero Brown - Yorick's Sister, former Sister of the Amazon

Representative Jennifer Brown - Yorick's mother, an Important Congressworman after the Plague

Alter Tse'elon - Israeli General who plans to hunt Yorick down.

This will end on Monday May 21st. The Winner will be announced that midnight.

GET YOUR CASTING ON!

YTheLastMan.jpg

Yorick Brown - Ryan Reynolds

He has the look and the charm to pull off Yorick Brown.

Agent 355 - Tracie Thoms

I know lots thought of her. But I can't think of anyone more perfect.

Doctor Alison Mann - Kelly Hu

I can't think of many asian actresses. But I think Hu could pull it off.

Beth Deville - Elisha Cuthbert

She's looks like Beth. To the point.

Hero Brown - Hilary Swank

Imagine her pissed off and with one boob and you got Hero.

Representative Jennifer Brown - Katey Sagal

This was a hard one. But I think she can play the strong congresswoman.

Alter Tse'elon - Andrea Gabriel

The hardest one. I don't know any eastern decent actresses. But I think cut her hair and she can play it.

I have a request to next winner.

Could the next winner please pick a batman , superman , spider-man ect... comic?

I'm not very good at comics that are not big names (If you know what I mean I don't mean it offensively) Last 3-5 ones I've not heard of/read.

Not whining or been funny if you don't want to that's cool.

Alright, i'll throw my hand in.

Yorick Brown: Jude Law- hes a magician, right? Theres something kinda otherworldly about Jude (maybe cuz I saw the box to AI) and I think he could pull off the witty last man pretty well.

Agent 355: Tracie Thoms- yeah gotta steal this one.

Doctor Alison Mann: Lucy Liu. See Lucky Number Slevin to see her in a lab coat.

Beth DeVille: Heather Graham. only becuase I don't want to steal two picks.

Hero Brown: Uma Thurman. Not my favorite actress, but she can act intensely mean.

Jennifer Brown: Meryl Streep. Yeah I said it.

Alter: Rachel Weis- she's played an "Egyptian" in the Mummy, and she can act pretty authoritatively.

Could the next winner please pick a batman , superman , spider-man ect... comic?

I'm not very good at comics that are not big names (If you know what I mean I don't mean it offensively) Last 3-5 ones I've not heard of/read.

Maybe then, this is a sign that these -ARE- comics you -SHOULD- read.

Not whining or been funny if you don't want to that's cool.
I am inclined to actually do that if I win, because I do miss me some supaheroes, but don't get your hopes up as that's IF I win. There're still loads of other contenders who will pick whatever they want. :)

In any case, the winner gets to choose whatever he wants since he only earned it by putting together a vote-approved cast of something he DIDN'T choose. It's only fair.

I am inclined to actually do that if I win, because I do miss me some supaheroes, but don't get your hopes up as that's IF I win. There're still loads of other contenders who will pick whatever they want. :)

In any case, the winner gets to choose whatever he wants since he only earned it by putting together a vote-approved cast of something he DIDN'T choose. It's only fair.

I agree, it's up to whoever put the time in to put a winning team together. But I would like some more mainstream comics choices.

Last edited:

Tophergrace.png

Yorick Brown – Topher Grace. This is the role I'm not sure of. Maybe beef him a bit, give him some more facial hair… we'll see.

Traciethoms.png

Agent 355 – Tracie Thoms, based on her character of Kim, from the Death Proof segment of Grindhouse. I had this one before TOG!

LucyLiu.png

Doctor Allison Mann – Lucy Lieu. For some reason I think of O-Ren in Kill Bill for this and I think she'll be perfect for the role.

Avrillavigne.png

Beth – Avril Lavigne. Give her blonde hair, a bikini top and shorts, and place her in the middle of the Australian outback.

Hilaryswank.png

Hero – Hilary Swank. I'm stealing TOG's idea, just because she looks exactly like Hero.

Merylstreep.png

Representative Brown – Meryl Streep. I'm thinking of her role in The Manchurian Candidate.

Angelinajolie.png

Alter – Angelina Jolie. Just because I think it'd be really ****ing cool.

Ok....so for the first time I'm in a casting pickle......right off the bat I wanted to cast Nicholas Brendan for the role. Then I saw on IMDB that he's 36. And the more I thought about it....the more I came to realise that he is just too old for role.

Maybe if we were talking about Buffy Season 2 or Season 3 Nicholas.....maybe. But now...no.

So what I need to know (since I have no reference material here and wiki isn't any help) how old is Yorrick?

Tophergrace.png

Yorick Brown – Topher Grace. This is the role I'm not sure of. Maybe beef him a bit, give him some more facial hair… we'll see.

Traciethoms.png

Agent 355 – Tracie Thoms, based on her character of Kim, from the Death Proof segment of Grindhouse. I had this one before TOG!

LucyLiu.png

Doctor Allison Mann – Lucy Lieu. For some reason I think of O-Ren in Kill Bill for this and I think she'll be perfect for the role.

Avrillavigne.png

Beth – Avril Lavigne. Give her blonde hair, a bikini top and shorts, and place her in the middle of the Australian outback.

Hilaryswank.png

Hero – Hilary Swank. I'm stealing TOG's idea, just because she looks exactly like Hero.

Merylstreep.png

Representative Brown – Meryl Streep. I'm thinking of her role in The Manchurian Candidate.

Angelinajolie.png

Alter – Angelina Jolie. Just because I think it'd be really ****ing cool.

you bastard. you stole most of your choices!

Ok....so for the first time I'm in a casting pickle......right off the bat I wanted to cast Nicholas Brendan for the role. Then I saw on IMDB that he's 36. And the more I thought about it....the more I came to realise that he is just too old for role.
Well to be fair, Gabriel Carteris of Beverly Hills 90210 played a seventeen year old when she was twenty-seven, and A.J. Langer of My So-Called Life played a fifteen year old when she was twenty four. And if Nicholas Brendon is 36 now, that would have made him 26 when he was filming the first season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. So age is relatively elastic with things like this.

Victor Von Doom said:
So what I need to know (since I have no reference material here and wiki isn't any help) how old is Yorrick?
In the very first issue he says he graduated 'over a year ago' and describes himself as an "English major with moderate-to-poor computer skills". So I'd say that could put him as young as 23 --- if he went to college straight out of high school --- or as old as 29.

Who I cast as the lead in any project usually sets the tone for the rest of the cast, and I honestly think it's tough to cast Yorick because of the combination of his medium build and nerd-like personality are tough to find in any actor under 30. I suspect that I'll have to 'stumble upon' a low profile actor to fit him.

I don't see Hilary Swank taking a supporting role in a TV mini-series.
Give her another cinema bomb and she will.

Yes, Hilary Swank would run to TV. But she'll do 'socially important' TV movies that only show on the Hallmark channel.

you bastard. you stole most of your choices!

Your mom stole most of your choices.

Seriously, I only stole one. I was already thinking of Meryl Streep, Tracie Thoms and Lucy Liu.

bradford.jpg

Jesse Bradford as Yorick Brown. You may recognize him from Bring It On, The West Wing, and the upcoming US remake of My Sassy Girl. Genuinely talented, and sorely in need of a career revival. He's got the charm and wit necessary to play Yorick.

ashtey.jpg

Claire-Hope Ashitey as Agent 355. She recently played the last pregnant woman in an infertile planet, in Children of Men. It's a rather ironic role reversal to see her as the one tasked to keep the post-cataclysmic survivor alive. Comparison pic:
355.jpg

cheung.jpg

Maggie Cheung as Dr. Alison Mann. Anybody who has seen Maggie Cheung play a recovering junkie and rocker's widow in Oliver Assayas' Clean will tell you -- she *is* Dr. Mann. And yes, the role is in English, for anybody who doubted it. If you can't place the face, she's also in 2046 and In The Mood For Love (both directed by the over-hyped but geniunely talented Wong Kar-Wai).

katic.jpg

Stana Katic (Hanna Gitelman from Heroes) as Alter Tse'elon. Dude, she's *already* playing a bad-*** former Isreali intelligence agent. This one should be a no-brainer. Best of all, she's not (yet) a regular cast member, so this is feasible.

mays.jpg

Jayma Mays (Epic Movie, Charlie from Heroes, Charlie from Ugly Betty) as Beth Deville. I don't mind all the Heroes talent raiding, because all of them are recurring guest stars, at best. And you just *know* they will fit the roles.

tamblyn.jpg

Amber Tamblyn (Joan of Arcadia, Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants) as Hero Brown. She usually gets typecast as either the "rebellious one" or "the one who might be crazy". In all honesty, this is the casting I feel least comfortable with, not least because it means rewriting her as Yorick's kid sister. I may re-cast this part, before the deadline arrives.

walter.jpg

Jessica Walter (Arrested Development) as Rep. Jennifer Brown. Forget the boozy matriarch of the Bluth family -- Jessica Walter is a classically trained drama queen, and I feel confident that she can pull off the role of a government official dealing with her change in status, following the outbreak of the plague.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back