Dreamcasting Adaptations #21: "...in the Study with the Revolver"

* I really like the premise of Ourchair's version, and he's come up with some of the most unique takes on the characters i've ever seen. Likewise, the casting is absolutely perfect, based on the descriptions provided, which is arguably what matters, in this game.

However, my biggest reservation is that some of the personalities are so far removed from the original archetypes, they almost feel like completely original characters. For example, was it really necessary to give Ms. Peacock the gustatory ability, when it's Ms. White who has traditionally been portrayed as a chef/cook? And Mlle. Blanc didn't seem to have any logical connection to previous versions of Mrs. White. Maybe I'm being overly purist about it, but even the drastic reinterpretations from the 1985 movie still retained the basic personalities and professions associated with the game's characters.

* Mole's cast reminded me most of the 1985 film, with its solid mix of American and British character actors. Which is ironic, since he apparently never watched it. Dick Van Dyke is a particularly inspired choice, since he's excellent at playing both goofy (The Golden Girls) and sinister (Dick Tracy), which is always valuable in a franchise like Clue.

* TGO's ensemble packs a lot of star power; arguably too much. I'd worry about having to keep the cast's egos in check, when vying for the amount of screen time. Structuring in a way that resembles Lost, with the individualized, nonlinear flashbacks, is an approach that plays to Clue's strengths, as a property. Though i'm not sure it would work with this particular set of Hollywood heavyweights. Individually, there are no bad choices (though I wonder what kind of character Mrs. White would be, if she were portrayed by Moore). I especially like the idea of Will Smith as a conman/evangelist dealing in the spiritual equivalent of snake oil.

* Good round, folks! What it lacked in quantity, it made up for in inventiveness. I guess it's just rotten luck that the whole April Fool's shebang happened right in the middle of the round. Let's hope the next one is better received.

And on that note, take it away, Ourchair...

Last edited:
* I really like the premise of Ourchair's version, and he's come up with some of the most unique takes on the characters i've ever seen. Likewise, the casting is absolutely perfect, based on the descriptions provided, which is arguably what matters, in this game.

However, my biggest reservation is that some of the personalities are so far removed from the original archetypes, they almost feel like completely original characters. For example, was it really necessary to give Ms. Peacock the gustatory ability, when it's Ms. White who has traditionally been portrayed as a chef/cook? And Mlle. Blanc didn't seem to have any logical connection to previous versions of Mrs. White. Maybe I'm being overly purist about it, but even the drastic reinterpretations from the 1985 movie still retained the basic personalities and professions associated with the game's characters.
I guess the ties are more covert than I thought they were.

I had originally conceived Peacock as a gun nut who was somehow keyed into ballistic theory. Kind of like a forensic blood spatter analyst, but only with bullets, and with a cultural preservationist attitude ("breeding!!!").

The problem with this is that it gives her too much of a political leaning for her to 'behave' and stay with the team, when I wanted all the characters to be apolitical and completely lacking in belief (hence Green's neutrally acquisitive nature and Plum's lack of a committed belief system).

White/Blanc was going to be an obsessive/compulsive neat-freak, who can sense pattern disruptions, but that didn't seem terribly interesting and almost "quirky for quirk's sake".

The two final characterizations I ended up were still loosely connected to their original characterizations.

Peacock's gustatory neuroses were supposed to be a corruption of class-associated notions of 'taste' and appreciation thereof.

Blanc was a servant Ultimatized to be a contrarian of master/subject relationships: the oppressed animal vs. the dominant 'master in his own mind' human.

So it IS faithful, LOL.

Just a suggestion for the next round... Have we done Street Fighter yet (during one of my long absences, perhaps)?

Without the burden of fleshing out a whole context and storyline to work around, it might be fun to cast.

And it's rather timely, as well, with the new Chun Li movie coming up. I'd wager there are lots of folks who probably think they could improve on the actual cast, too. Question is, would they join the game?

I basically based the characters off of your description of them.

I think Ms.White is Black's maid and the heir to the entire fortune and the most obvious suspect. She is probably the mega super***** and his mistress. Being the one who cleaned after him, she knew every secret.

I would of went into more plot detail but Ourchair was destined to win.

Latest posts

Back