Dreamcasting: The Remake Edition

Okay fine. Two people tried to fit in their entries before the deadline.

Just to be nice, that means VVD is STILL eligible to win because he missed me closing the thread by a few minutes.

Compound is not, unfortunately, for in spite of the excellent effort put into his entry, he was still over 12 hours late.

So, TEH VOTING CONTINUES.

You may vote for:

SSJmole: http://ultimatecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=303960&postcount=16

bluebeast: http://ultimatecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=301232&postcount=11

Victor Von Doom: http://ultimatecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=305344&postcount=18

VOTING ENDS 24 HOURS FROM NOW FOR REALZ YO.

So who won? Hell.....did anyone even vote?

So who won? Hell.....did anyone even vote?
I did -- by text message to Ourchair. That counts as a "PM", right?

But seriously, I don't know if Matt/Ourchair mentioned this, but he had corrective laser surgery on his eyes on Friday. He can still use the computer, but only for limited periods. And he's wearing protective goggles, for the meantime. (Not that it really matters -- you just might want to make fun of him for it :p )

Just the same, expect him to log on, some time later today, with the results. I suspect he hasn't even checked his PMs yet, and the votes haven't been tallied.

Last edited:
I did -- by text message to Ourchair. That counts as a "PM", right?

But seriously, I don't know if Matt/Ourchair mentioned this, but he had corrective laser surgery on his eyes on Friday. He can still use the computer, but only for limited periods. And he's wearing protective goggles, for the meantime. (Not that it really matters -- you just might want to make fun of him for it :p )

Just the same, expect him to log on, some time later today, with the results. I suspect he hasn't even checked his PMs yet, and the votes haven't been tallied.

No...he didn't mention it. But I assume it because ever since Bax got his brain operated on, everyone else's medical problems all seem kinda moot.

Wade Wilson: I just had my tooth knocked out and my mouth hurts.
Bax: Brain surgery.
Wade Wilson: You win.
Bax: I know.

Joe Kalicki: My shoulder has been killing me lately.
Bax: They cut open my head and touched my brain.
Joe Kalicki: Damn....
Bax: Thought so.

Ourchair: My eyes....I can't see.
Bax: Braaaaaaaaiiiiiin.....
Ourchair: .........
Bax: Yep.

But no. I was unaware.

VOTE MORE FOOLS.

SOMEONE COMPLAINED THAT THE VOTING ANNOUNCEMENTS ARE NOT VISIBLE ENOUGH.

CLEARLY, I NEED TO BE LOUDER.

IS THIS LOUD ENOUGH?

Vote now, or forever hold your piece. Peace, I mean.

Last edited:
Aw, damn! Too later for the competition. Was hella busy, for the past week. I started work on this last weekend, but I left my original choices on my girlfriend's hard-drive, at her place. Anyway, rather than let it go to waste, I might as well share my ideas...

THE PREMISE

My proposal is for an HBO mini-series, intended to "reboot" the franchise, by starting over from the point where the Addams Family first encounters the residents of present-day Westfield, NJ (creator Charles Addams original home-town). My approach would be a more "grown-up" take on a fantastic concept -- one part Edward Scissorhands-like sympathy for the macabre; one part Nip/Tuck 21st-century risque humor, mixed with wry social commentary. It looks Edward Gorey, but feels like Alan Ball.

2007. The Addams Family have become something of an American institution -- apparently unaffected by the passage of time, ever since they came into public knowledge in the 1930s (as established by a montage of news footage from various eras). At various points, they have been reviled as freaks and corrupters; in more tolerant times, they are hailed as maverick individualists, casually moving on with their unique lifestyle within their reclusive household, regardless of passing trends. Now, they're just another footnote in pop Americana.

That is, until a renegade TV producer decides to issue a challenge to patriarch Gomez -- to reintegrate his family into everyday society (something they have not done since 1967), and to do so under the watchful eye of his film crew, 24/7. The real question is -- is the post-9/11 world ready to accomodate the Addams?

Will Gomez get screwed over by jealous co-workers, as he joins a swanky Wall Street stock brokerage?

How does Morticia inadvertantly win over a PTA full of soccer moms and desperate housewives?

Does having an extensive chemistry set in the basement single out Uncle Fester as a potential domestic terrorist?

Is Grandmama just a little too enthusiastic about her dire predictions for WASPy brats at a children's Halloween party?

Can introspective Wednesday avoid being caught in the conflict between the generic mean girl clique that are secretly threatened by her family's resurgent popularity, and the annoying Emily Strange wanna-bes who idolize her?

Who is the school misfit with the My Chemical Romance obsession, and what does he want from nigh-invulnerable, technologically-gifted idiot savant Pugsley? And just what kind of sinister device does he want him to build...?

It's the same old Addams Family you know and love, given a shot of post-24 TV adrenaline, starring...

THE CAST

gomez.jpg

Andy Serkis as Gomez AND Thing. Enough with the CGI and freak make-up. It's time for the man behind the Gollum to be front and center, as the dashing head of the Addams Family. He's no stranger to misunderstood outcast parts, obviously, but if you saw his wonderful supporting role in 13 Going on 30 as a flamboyant, arch magazine editor, then you know that he's got the commanding presence necessary to bring Gomez to life. He would do double duty as his right-hand man, Thing, given his obvious experience with that kind of effects-based acting.

morticia.jpg

Tilda Swinton as Morticia. Combine her captivating, otherworldly appearance from the Narnia movies, with her blase parenting style as the mom in Thumbsucker, and there you have it: "Ultimate" Morticia.

wednesday.jpg

Dakota Fanning as Wednesday. I'm surprised nobody else picked her! If you've seen her memorable performance in Uptown Girls, you'll know that she can act simultaneously bratty, petulant, unimpressed, and cynical -- exactly the kind of combination I'd want to see in a pre-teen version of Wednesday. I know the original comics portray her as a more oblivious, naive character -- kinda like Lenore, the Cute Little Dead Girl. But I'm definitely partial to the more sinister interpretation used in the 90s movies, and with a dye job and the right wardrobe, i'm totally convinced that Fanning could pull it off.

Philip Wiegratz as Pugsley. Ideally, I'd just cast a very charismatic unknown as Pugsley. Seriously, do you have any idea how difficult it is to cast an established, competenet 12-year-old in contemporary Hollywood, let alone a *chubby* 12-year-old? But since the rules of the challenge demand I pick somebody with a previous track record, I might as well go with Philip Wiegratz, who had a short but effective role as gluttonous Augustus Gloop in Tim Burton's version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. That means he's got a basic familiarity with the demands of "normalized weirdness" that The Addams Family calls for.

granny.jpg

Ellen Burstyn as Granny. Grandmama needs to be a little flaky, but nevertheless intimidating -- like she's not quite aware of just how dangerous she can be. On the strength of her performances in Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain, and the (otherwise disappointing) remake of The Wicker Man, I'd say she fits the role quite nicely.

fester.jpg

David Cross as Uncle Fester. I know that some of you may scream "Typecasting!", but Fester is really a very different kind of 'weird relative' as Tobias Funke from Arrested Development. Yes, both share a kind of reckless playfulness, but while Tobias takes himself ridiculously seriously, Fester is really more of an over-grown kid trapped in a mad scientist's body. Honestly, I'm not 100% confident about this pick, but it seems better than my initial gut response: Jack Black, who doesn't quite fit in with the rest of the cast I picked. I also considered Enrico Colatoni (the dad from Veronica Mars, and Elliott from Just Shoot Me!).

Peter Mayhew as Lurch. Chewbacca, *****es! Enough said. Just convince him to cut his hair, or find a way to hide it, within his costume. I would have picked the late Matthew McGrory (the giant from Big Fish, and "Tiny" from The Devil's Rejects) if he hadn't passed away in 2005. He was a genuinely skilled actor who could handle subtle changes of mood using just his actions.
Oh my god. I'm watching this show in my head right now. Perfect casting choices. And this reminds me a bit of The Riches.

I vote for Compound.

:D

No...he didn't mention it. But I assume it because ever since Bax got his brain operated on, everyone else's medical problems all seem kinda moot.

But no. I was unaware.

AHAHHAHAHAHHAHA!!!!

POTD for teh next week.

so POTW.

Yes.

I demand a write-in vote for compound.

I demand a write-in vote for compound.

The public...

I vote for Compound.

...has spoken.

Proj, we should use our mighty Mod powers to declare Compound winner.

Whether or not I'm allowed to be the game-master for the next round, I know who the MORAL winner of this round is. :twisted:

I swear, I'm no better than a lot of Filipino politicans -- I show blatant disregard for the rules of the competition -- then end up getting the public support AND (potentially) the victory, anyway. :wink:

But no. I was unaware.

I was beaten once, but it was a counter of "My mothers dead".

I'da voted for compound. But I have a slightly disturbing affection for Tilda Swinton

This is the weirdest conditional win ever.

Not because everyone decided to vote compound in spite of the fact that he made it too late.

It's because there's a three way tie between VVD, bluebeast and Mole.

Way I see it, there're two options --- VVD, bluebeast and Mole fight it out by MORTAL KOMBAT...

...or we declare compound winner by a newly invented form of default.

Since MORTAL KOMBAT would be difficult to do via posts....

...Compound WINS.

I would've owned at mortal combat. I specialize in spitting fire and ripping out spines. My Johnny Cage Nut Punch is pretty spectacular.

I have no ideas for next round. Give it to Compound. His was better.

Whoa! :shock:

How did I miss this earlier? :?

Well, that officially settles it -- deadlines don't matter in this game, if you've got a good enough proposal :p

I'll start a new thread in a couple of hours -- I just need to head to the bank for a while. I'm already pretty certain about what I want to go with.

Well, that officially settles it -- deadlines don't matter in this game, if you've got a good enough proposal :p
It has nothing to do with the quality of your proposal, you megalomaniacal twit.

It has more to do with my supreme powers of arbitration in special circumstances of insane WTF-ness.

Don't make me confiscate your victory.

Latest posts

Back