Fantastic Four: The End

ourchair

So as everyone probably knows by know, a Fantastic Four: The End has been kicked around the editorial offices of Marvel for quite awhile now, with speculation that Stan Lee was going to write it.

Recently, Alan Davis was announced as the artist of this project, but there hasn't been any news since that announcement. No writer, no barebones story idea, no suggested concepts from JoeQ. Unless I missed it.

In any case, I've always felt The End, in spite of the flaws that have haunted it so far, is a fundamentally interesting premise. To me it's less about trying to "end" the characters but trying to see where the individual journeys are going.

X-Men: The End should've asked the question: "Will Xavier's dream ever come true, or is it just a dream?" Punisher: The End asked if Frank Castle will ever give up.

To me, The Fantastic Four: The End should ask these questions: "What happens when the famous family has nothing left to discover? What happens when the journey of imagination, the wonder of exploration, the thrill of discovery ends? Where do they go?"

Anyone care to ponder on how that question should be answered?

ourchair said:
To me, The Fantastic Four: The End should ask these questions: "What happens when the famous family has nothing left to discover? What happens when the journey of imagination, the wonder of exploration, the thrill of discovery ends? Where do they go?"

Anyone care to ponder on how that question should be answered?

I can see Reed becoming wrapped up with "helping hemanity", in his lab 24-7 etc etc etc becomes a(more) legendary, heroic figure to the public. I can see him maybe getting the presidency.

Sue's used to it at the moment, but as years go by she gets sick of Reeds new mission.......cue Namor :D

Ben Grimm's journey should end with him reverting back to human, permanently. Thus The Thing "dies."

Johnny.......is a tough one. I can see him either pulling a "blaze of glory" or becoming a Hefner-esque figure. Or maybe a sportstar/actor. Perhaps his flames starts to burn him out, as he gets older his body can't handle it anymore?

Gimme a week or two and I'll come up with a pitch for ya :wink:

Johnny Bravo said:
I can see Reed becoming wrapped up with "helping hemanity", in his lab 24-7 etc etc etc becomes a(more) legendary, heroic figure to the public. I can see him maybe getting the presidency.

Sue's used to it at the moment, but as years go by she gets sick of Reeds new mission.......cue Namor :D

Ben Grimm's journey should end with him reverting back to human, permanently. Thus The Thing "dies."

Johnny.......is a tough one. I can see him either pulling a "blaze of glory" or becoming a Hefner-esque figure. Or maybe a sportstar/actor. Perhaps his flames starts to burn him out, as he gets older his body can't handle it anymore?

Gimme a week or two and I'll come up with a pitch for ya :wink:
Cool ideas, Bravo. :D

I have a pitch in mind myself, gelled from obsessing about Crossover actually. But I haven't perfected the actual conflict/plot yet although I want to echo hints of Warren Ellis' Ministry of Space and exploration sagas like the Star Trek franchise.

Johnny Bravo said:
I can see Reed becoming wrapped up with "helping hemanity", in his lab 24-7 etc etc etc becomes a(more) legendary, heroic figure to the public.

Maybe finds a cure for a bunch of diseases...

I think it's fair to assume that since The End tends to take place in some kind of unspecified future, the specifics of what advancements Reed achieves isn't really important.

What I think should be addressed in FF: The End is that Reed would reach a point where there is almost nothing left to discover. He has done everything beyond the fantastic: He has cured diseases, terraformed planets, reconceptualized all concepts of physics, transportation and energy. I think attributing just one thing as the pinnacle and crown jewel of his achievements is denying the fact that he could probably solve anything.

Of course for that level of scientific accomplishment to be attained, one might be able to assume a sinister turn: That he has done so at the expense of his relationships. That might be a little too depressing for me though, because then the story of the dysfunctional family of adventurers ends with them remaining dysfunctional. Still, it's an idea to go with.

I think there should be a really big threat and, although they will struggle, the strength in their relationships prevail. That would be cool, too.

I agree with Goody. They need one last ENORMOUS threat. The biggest thing they've ever faced. Considering that they've already met God, this force would need to be even bigger.

Yeah, I think they should die, too. Personally, they should just all go down together... I think that would be touching.

No really, elaborate.
Oh, sorry. I missed your first post. Take in mind that I'm not so good at this.

It starts with a fight between FF and von Doom that takes place after the mutant wars (all the mutants got killed in that war I believe) and VvD lost his arms and obviously some sanity along with it. von Doom is about to win but gets interrupted by Franklin and Valeria. Doom fights both kids and as a result all three gets killed (supposedly) in a big explosion. This breaks up the FF and after a couple of years Reed has with his inventions made the world a safe place and all the villains has been driven from our solar system. Mankind has started settlements on other planets but all is not well. Villains has tarted to appear again and the the "Avengers" or what ever they are called now have to fight them back. Johnny is on the team now together with a Robot version of Tony Stark/Iron Man, Thor, Ayesha (Captain Marvel), Vision, Silver surfer and some other people. Suddenly the villains that they fight turn to pudding which leaves the heroes wondering what was going on.
On Mars, the Thing and his wife Alicia lives together with their three children. They get a visit from the Inhumans and we can now see that the Thing can at will return to his human form.
On Earth under the sea, Susan is investigating some ruins when she gets a visit from Namor.
Reed is in space with She-Hulk (that is now a psychiatrist) in some sort of self-made exile.
The scene cuts to the Himalaya, where Dr Strange is not the Sorcerer Supreme anymore but his daughter is. It is indicated that he may have something to do with the "villains" appearing, either by action or by not acting.
The rest of the three issues out now is more or less the four getting attacked by different people and a connection between the villain invaders (that seems to be ALL the classic FF villains at ones) and the Kree together with the Shi'ar is established so the FF is in for the fight of their life (or death).

Latest posts

Back