5. Clint Eastwood
6. Martin Sheen
7. Ralph Fiennes
8. Ian McKellan
9. Robert Downey, Jr.
10. Alec Baldwin

Ladyfolk will come later

Last edited:
This is impossible because I like an actor in a certain role, and then he might do something different and I don't like it.

too hard but here is my top 9

1. Leonardo DiCaprio
  2. Liam Neeson
  3. Charlie Sheen
  4. Anthony Hopkins
  5. Marlon Brando
  6. Stuart Townsend
  7. Ewan McGregor
  8. Tom Hanks
  9. Robin Williams

Last edited:
I can really only think of two that I like waaay more than the rest for actors-
James Franco
Ian McKellen

Actresses-
Kate Beckinsale
Natalie Portman

12. Alec Baldwin
11. Morgan Freeman
10. Robin Williams
9. Bruce Willis
8. Sir Ian McKellen
7. Willem Dafoe
6. Jimmy Stewart
5. Dustin Hoffman
4. Gary Oldman
3. Sean Astin
2. Leonardo DiCaprio
1. Tom Hanks

This is a little rushed, but overall, I consider these to be the ten greatest actors of all time.

Not sure about actresses, but I can tell you that Sigourney Weaver and Natalie Portman would be way up there.

Last edited:
damn planet man you made me update my list

Tom Hanks, Morgan Freedman, Liam Neeson, Sean Austin. Theres more but they're not at the top of my head

Morgan Freeman, Ian McKellen.

Planet-Man, you have a good list, but i want to shave off the top and the bottom of it.

I knew Robin would get me some flack, but to that I say Mrs. Doubtfire, One Hour Photo, and Moscow on the Hudson.

Tom Hanks I didn't think required an explaination. I think he's the greatest actor ever to live. Forrest Gump, Cast Away, Philidelphia, Big, The Green Mile, Catch Me If You Can, Saving Private Ryan.... he's an acting god.

Forrest Gump is my favourite acting performance of all time.

Edit: I should also mention that Morgan Freeman and Alec Baldwin would probably be my 11 and 12, respectively. In fact....*adds them to posted list*...there. Hah! Can't shave the end off it now, can you?

Last edited:
Hanks is good, you can always expect a solid performance out of him, and he's a nice guy outside of acting, but I dont think there's anything special about him. Forrest Gump being the exception, he was phenomenal in that, but in everything else he feels very much the same. Doesn't mean I dont enjoy him, i'd just never consider him as one of the top in his field.

Samuel L. Jackson, Kiefer Sutherland, Natalie Portman, Ian McKellen, others I can;t be bothered to list.

LADY LIST

1. Emma Thompson
2. Mary Louise-Parker
3. Meryl Streyp
4. Judi Dench
5. Nicole Kidman
6. Angela Lansbury
7. Gwenyth Paltrow
8. Kate Winslett
9. Diane Keaton
10. Winona Ryder (shut up, all of you Winona-haters, nothing can stop my love)

I hate trying to do these kinds of lists.

I can tell you that Sam Jackson would be somewhere in the top 2 or 3.

He's not only badass onscreen, but offscreen as well.

He actually owns a "BAD MOTHER****ER" wallet.

He's like the VVD of acting, but like, a thousand times cooler (Sorry Doom, but you'd have to agree with me on this one).

He's like the VVD of acting, but like, a thousand times cooler (Sorry Doom, but you'd have to agree with me on this one).

Dude.....totally.

"WHAT AIN'T NO COUNTRY I EVER HEARD OF..." FTW!

And I agree with Proj. These lists are always damn near impossibe. So instead of ranking them....I'm just gonna list some that I think warrant my interest more than others.

ACTORS
Bruce Willis
Morgan Freeman
Kurt Russell
Samuel Jackson
Jude Law
Neil Patrick Harris
Hugo Weaving
Michael Chiklis
Will Smith (ugh.....yeah I know. Trust me...I know)
Viggo Mortesen
Ken Watanabe
Chiwetel Ejiofor

ACTRESSES
Emma Thompson
Kristen Bell (you wouldn't think just by looking at her---but the girl is damn ecclectic....in several years---don't be suprised if she's a BIG film star. Ourchair knows what I'm talking about)
Mary Streep
Natalie Portman
Lucy Liu
Sara Rue
Rene Russo
Judi Dench
Annette Benning
Diane Keaton

Kudos on DSF's most excellent lists....

Gene Wilder
Peter Sellers
George C. Scott
Orson Welles
Jack Nicholson
Johnny Depp
Bill Murray
Christian Bale (he really is a good actor, not just in Batman)
Harrison Ford
Michael Palin (he makes me laugh most out of all the Monty Python guys)

in no particular order

Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, and George Clooney are excellent actors too.
also Ian McKellen, Dustin Hoffman, and Robin Williams (about 50% of the time), and Sean Astin has been pretty good.

Last edited:
I actually find it VERY hard to dislike actors. Which is why I'd be hard-pressed to talk about my favorite actors of all time. In fact, the only way an actor gets off my like list, is if they start acting like deliberate asses with regards to their career.

This is why Sean Connery is never on my 'favorite' list of the moment, because of his stinky attitude towards his past box office failures. Gwyneth Paltrow gets knocked, because she has not-so-secretly dissed some of the films she's done. Same with Harrison Ford.

Mind you, 'dissing' a film is not the same thing as accepting the fact that you were in a bad film. Paltrow supposedly referred to A View From the Top as A View From My ***, while Ford used to frequently cite his contempt for his character in Blade Runner. It's rude and disrespectful to everyone else involved, and in some ways it shows that these actors take projects they regard as beneath them.

I love many actors, and have great respect for what they do, even those actors that are considered hams, or have limited schticks, or portray annoying characters, or have an inflated sense of self-importance. Hell, I'm a proud owner of Hey It's That Guy! The Fametracker Guide to Character Actors.

So long as they aren't taking a piss on the people they work with, and appear to be as genuinely involved in a low-brow comedy as they are in artsy fare and big budget spectacle, I'm fine with them.

Latest posts

Back