Favorite Fantasy Universe/Franchise

What is your favorite fantasy universe/franchise?

• Raymond Feist's Riftworld series

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terry Brooks' Shannara series

• C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia

• Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials Trilogy

• Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl

• Ursula K. LeGuin's Earthsea

• Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melnibone series

• Robert Howard's Hyborian Age aka "Conaniverse"

• Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber

• Total voters
Indeed, while Walker Boh possesed Strength, interesting character development, and a giant cat.
A GIANT CAT!

*throws arms up in air*

A GIIIIIIAAAANT CAAAAT!!!!!!!111

Also extra bad-*** points for having only one arm, the other lost to some stone-turney thingey.

Last edited:
You and me both. Herbert's Dune novels are THE penultimate sci-fi books...all of 'em. The prequel novels/Dune 7 books by his son and Anderson are nowhere near as epic and interesting, but on their own are decent reads. Frank's the man, no one compares. No one.

I'm probably going to pick these up, too. I have a question, though. If I just read Frank's series (1-6) does it leave stuff open or should I be fine just reading those? Because, honestly, I've heard tons of crap about the Herbert Jr/Anderson books and kind of want to avoid them.

I'm probably going to pick these up, too. I have a question, though. If I just read Frank's series (1-6) does it leave stuff open or should I be fine just reading those? Because, honestly, I've heard tons of crap about the Herbert Jr/Anderson books and kind of want to avoid them.

You can read Frank's original 6 and get most of the story, but at the end of Chapterhouse: Dune its obvious he intended to continue the story, but unfortunately he died before ever doing so.

Brian Herberts and Andersons novels aren't terrible, but compared to Frank's originals they definitly fall short. And depending on if you want the actual end of the story, you'll be forced to check out Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune by them (those close out the original series by Frank). The prequel trilogies aren't required, but given how big a role the machines play in Sandworms, you might want to check them out given the amount of back history they cover.

It really depends on how much of a completist you are. Personally, I'm a hardcore completist, so I read them all. I read them chronologically, meaning I read Brian and Kevin's two prequel trilogies first. They were ok reads, ok stories. Then, when I got to Franks original Dune novels, the bar was raised drastically (they're just much better). So if you plan to read them all, I recommend reading Frank's last...that way you end on a high note. Of course, Hunters and Sandworms are chronologically the last, so if you read them in order the overall story will probably take a bit of a downturn for you with those last two books. Its up to you really.

Just keep in mind the prequel/sequel novels to the originals aren't as bad as fans make it out to be...thats just that elitist mindset crap. Granted, they are nowhere as near as great as the originals, but as I said, they're ok reads and help expand the story.

I'd compare the Anderson/Brian Herbert novels to the Star Wars novels based off the films...the originals are just way better, but that doesn't mean the Anderson/Herbert books are terrible.

Last edited:
I'd compare the Anderson/Brian Herbert novels to the Star Wars novels based off the films...the originals are just way better, but that doesn't mean the Anderson/Herbert books are terrible.

Makes sense, considering Anderson wrote several Star Wars novels.

Hmmmmm, I guess I'll see.

Makes sense, considering Anderson wrote several Star Wars novels.

Hmmmmm, I guess I'll see.

Good point. Like I said, it helps to read them chronologically if you're going to approach it from a completist standpoint. Otherwise, just read Frank's original six and marvel at his genius. But let me reiterate, the prequel/sequel books are NOWHERE near as terrible as some people make them out to be. In some ways they do help flesh certain aspects of the story out. Not required at all, but helpful.

Good point. Like I said, it helps to read them chronologically if you're going to approach it from a completist standpoint. Otherwise, just read Frank's original six and marvel at his genius. But let me reiterate, the prequel/sequel books are NOWHERE near as terrible as some people make them out to be. In some ways they do help flesh certain aspects of the story out. Not required at all, but helpful.

How many prequel books are there? I know "Dune 7" was split into two books, but other than that, I have no idea.

I might not get to Dune right away, but it's on my "To read" list. I'm in the middle of Discworld and A Song of Fire and Ice right now, so. . .

How many prequel books are there? I know "Dune 7" was split into two books, but other than that, I have no idea.

I might not get to Dune right away, but it's on my "To read" list. I'm in the middle of Discworld and A Song of Fire and Ice right now, so. . .

There are two prequel trilogies to the original series by Frank Herbert. The Legends of Dune trilogy by Brian Herbert and Anderson takes place 10,000+ years before the original books. The House Trilogy takes place about 20 years before the originals. Then there's the six originals by Frank Herbert, followed by the Dune 7 books (Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune). There's also The Road to Dune, which is a collection of short stories taking place at various points in the series, and another upcoming prequel trilogy by Herbert and Anderson called the Paul of Dune trilogy which will take place between the House trilogy and the original novels. Ah hell, just see my next post, its the Dune timeline. It'll make a lot more sense.

There are two prequel trilogies to the original series by Frank Herbert. The Legends of Dune trilogy by Brian Herbert and Anderson takes place 10,000+ years before the original books. The House Trilogy takes place about 20 years before the originals. Then there's the six originals by Frank Herbert, followed by the Dune 7 books (Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune). There's also The Road to Dune, which is a collection of short stories taking place at various points in the series, and another upcoming prequel trilogy by Herbert and Anderson called the Paul of Dune trilogy which will take place between the House trilogy and the original novels. Ah hell, just see my next post, its the Dune timeline. It'll make a lot more sense.

Yeah! Timeline! :D

The short stories contained in Road to Dune are in italics (except Treasure in the Sand, which is collected in the paperback Hunters of Dune), the novels are in bold. The years they occur are in parentheses (BG is Before Guild, AG is After Guild). The next trilogy: Paul of Dune, Jessica of Dune, and Irulan of Dune is planned for release 2008-2010.

Dune: Hunting Harkonnens (217 BG)
Dune: The Butlerian Jihad (203-200 BG)
Dune: Whipping Mek (188 BG)
Dune: The Machine Crusade (177-164 BG)
Dune: Faces of a Martyr (164-160 BG)
Dune: The Battle of Corrin (108-88 BG)

Dune: House Atreides (10,153-10,156 AG)
Dune: House Harkonnen (10,166-10,174 AG)
Dune: House Corrino (10,174-10,175 AG)

Paul of Dune (???? AG) **
Jessica of Dune (???? AG) **
Irulan of Dune (???? AG) **

Dune (10,190-10,193 AG)
Dune: A Whisper of Caladan Seas (10,191 AG)
Dune Messiah (10,206-10,207 AG)
Children of Dune (10,216-10,217 AG)
God Emperor of Dune (13,725 AG)
Heretics of Dune (15,225-15,229 AG)
Chapterhouse: Dune (15,230-15,240 AG)
Dune: Sea Child (15,240 AG)
Hunters of Dune (15,243-15,259 AG)
Dune: Treasure in the Sand (15,260 AG)
Sandworms of Dune (15,261-15,275 AG)

Them's fightin' words!

Star Wars is more Fantasy than Dune!

Edit: I should read the whole thread first. Silly Shaggy.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Though your statement still holds true.

Star Wars doesn't yammer constantly about the precise psycho-physiological mechanics of superhuman awareness.

And midichlorians don't count... on top of being a stupid idea.

Last edited:
Also, I should have actually voted Other, as I love A Song of Ice and Fire!

That said, my passion for it cools as Martin's rate of getting new work to the masses makes Millar/Hitch look downright weekly!

grumble...already written most of DwD my ***!

Latest posts

Back