Fictional Spin-offs

SSJmole

Face-Punching As Foreign Policy
As the Networks announce their fall schedules, two new spin-offs are making their way to your televisions. First is Heroes: Origins, which is a bit atypical for a spin-off because it's not a series unto itself but instead is a companion series that will air only six episodes after the full run of Heroes itself.

Continuing the long tradition of a proper spin-off from a popular series is Private Practice, featuring Kate Walsh as Addison Montgomery from Grey's Anatomy and two refugees from cancelled shows on ABC - Taye Diggs (Day Break) and Timothy Daly (The Nine). It's a brave move for the Network, green lighting a medical show that is derived from a massively popular medical show…

One show you won't see is the rumored Veronica Mars reboot that would have taken our favorite detective and put her a few years in her future where she's now in the FBI. Alas, it looks as though CW is opting out of more Veronica and we have to say goodbye sooner than we'd like. To deal with the pain, we've decided to take the reigns of the Networks and plan our own fantasy spin-offs. After reading our Top Ten, make sure to tell us yours.

http://uk.tv.ign.com/articles/789/789563p1.html

Post which Spin-offs you would do.

Here's mine in no order

Spike With Sarah Michelle Gellar and David Boreanaz , Not wishing to play Buffy and Angel anymore we the fans had to suffer. Joss was planning a tv movie about Spike but I say a spin-off tv show looking at Spike with characters like Illyria making up his team it would be cool.

Metropolis after Smallville ends its time to see Clark Become superman. With the back story Smallville is setting up this series is a must. I want to see Lex trying to stop Superman (and if he thinks "wait you look like clark")

The Bings Friends was a cool Show and with "Joey" been cancelled and how season 10 ended this just writes it's self. Matthew Perry and Courteney Cox back as Chandler and Monica. Living in their new house with their kids and of course the wacky/annoying neighbour Janice.

Also that is more likely to have guest stars from previous show on it as Chandler = Joey's best friend and Ross's collage friend. Monica = Rachel's best friend and Ross's brother.

Niles Another married Sitcom about Niles and Daphne. Frasier with out a doubt is the best comedy every and hopefully this would be as good and of course Martin and Roz will still be their as Frasier ended with Frasier leaving the city so this would be Frasier without the Frasier character.

Re: Top Ten TV Spin-offs

The title of this thread makes no sense and should be changed.

"The Bings" has minor potential but having Janis as a regular would guarantee I wouldn't watch.

"Frasier" pretty much was "Niles" in the last season or two.

I saw this on IGN the other day and decided that although they had some good ideas....the only ones worth watching were the Watchers/Faith spin-off and the new Veronica Mars.

All the others ones would fail miserably trying to recapture that magic the original show had. I mean holy hell----did anyone think the television trainwreck that was "Joey" was funny? Yikes. Joey was funny enough on Friends....but by himself with his Jersey aunt/sister/cousin or whatever she was just painful to watch.

And as much as I miss Whedon's "Buffyverse"...I don't want any spin-offs. They just wouldn't be the same and would seem forced. No matter how entertaining it would be. I'd rather watch another Whedon original.

And also---making spin-offs of shows that have been done for several years is just a bad idea.

The title of this thread makes no sense and should be changed.

"The Bings" has minor potential but having Janis as a regular would guarantee I wouldn't watch.

"Frasier" pretty much was "Niles" in the last season or two.

The title is that beacuse that what they called it. I agree though bad name.

Janice was only added by me as one of thing with them getting their new house was she lived next door so she has to be in it.

I saw this on IGN the other day and decided that although they had some good ideas....the only ones worth watching were the Watchers/Faith spin-off and the new Veronica Mars.

All the others ones would fail miserably trying to recapture that magic the original show had. I mean holy hell----did anyone think the television trainwreck that was "Joey" was funny? Yikes. Joey was funny enough on Friends....but by himself with his Jersey aunt/sister/cousin or whatever she was just painful to watch.

I liked joey not as good as friends season 1-4 but not as bad as friends season 10. It was funny. Watching season 2 at the moment and season looks good as well.

And as much as I miss Whedon's "Buffyverse"...I don't want any spin-offs. They just wouldn't be the same and would seem forced. No matter how entertaining it would be. I'd rather watch another Whedon original.

And also---making spin-offs of shows that have been done for several years is just a bad idea.

I think Spike as season would be better than a "Whedon original" as lets face it look at Angel. The series was done mostly by someone else with Joss returning on 5th season and the seasons with out him are better than the season with him and 99% of buffy (of course season 2 of buffy is still the best)

Alexander Mahone - a spin-off of Prison Break, following Mahone during his time in the military, his FBI work, his pursuit of Oscar Shales, and how he started working for The Company.

That's the only one I know that could be decent.

Quinn - Spin-off of Daria. The story of a former High School beauty-queen trying to figure out how to become a real person in college. Sort of be for College as it is today as Daria was for High School in the late nineties.

Birds of Prey - Spin-off of JLU. First get a Movie-Length opener for the series: Barbara Gordon gets shot by the Joker, Batman deals with the Joker (it hints at the storyline of The Killing Joke, but its focused on Barbara, so that's only a subplot). Barb finds out that she'll never walk again... Bats is out of town for a weekend with Tim, and something major happens, and she calls out Huntress, The Question, and Black Canary. Working together, with Barbara running the show from her computer, they prove to be a formidible force and decide to form a team together. Green Arrow might also be a character. I figure that Harley and Ivy could make for good villains every now and then... And then the Bat-Team of course could pop in from time to time.

I even have an idea for a finale of the show, taking place in the Batman Beyond timeline, where Comissioner Gordon assembles the team one last time.

I'd also love a Flash series, but I'd almost want them to start from scratch... Unless they reworked the JLU flash continuity to make it clear that he is not the first flash... But I think I'd prefer a Barry Allen series... Dorky superhero with a threatening, yet colorful rogues gallery. Animation can also give superspeed justice, moreso than liveaction ever will... Yeah... doot.

More later, or not. I'm trying to think out a Toby Ziegler spin-off of The West Wing, with him teaching at Columbia, like mentioned in episode one of season seven. Or maybe not. I'd almost like them to do a West Wing 2, with the Santos White House.

I've always kinda wanted to see a new Doogie Howser series where, Billy Madison style, he's somehow through some quirk forced to retake high school. It would be a complete spin on the original, with an adult in a teenage role rather than the teenager in the adult role.

There was an entire episode devoted to them tricking Janice into not buying the house next to theirs.

Yeah but she did anyway.

then Monica and Chandler said it was good a thing. at least her popping up wouldn't be a shock and they would be ready for it , as they said she was going to find them eventually

Yeah but she did anyway.

then Monica and Chandler said it was good a thing. at least her popping up wouldn't be a shock and they would be ready for it , as they said she was going to find them eventually

:? What? No she didn't. Chandler pretended he still had feelings for her and couldn't bear no live next to her. She didn't buy the house.

I feel so ridiculous for having this argument.

Quinn - Spin-off of Daria. The story of a former High School beauty-queen trying to figure out how to become a real person in college. Sort of be for College as it is today as Daria was for High School in the late nineties.

I really like that idea.

Birds of Prey - Spin-off of JLU. First get a Movie-Length opener for the series: Barbara Gordon gets shot by the Joker, Batman deals with the Joker (it hints at the storyline of The Killing Joke, but its focused on Barbara, so that's only a subplot). Barb finds out that she'll never walk again... Bats is out of town for a weekend with Tim, and something major happens, and she calls out Huntress, The Question, and Black Canary. Working together, with Barbara running the show from her computer, they prove to be a formidible force and decide to form a team together. Green Arrow might also be a character. I figure that Harley and Ivy could make for good villains every now and then... And then the Bat-Team of course could pop in from time to time.

I even have an idea for a finale of the show, taking place in the Batman Beyond timeline, where Comissioner Gordon assembles the team one last time.

Not bad, but you say that Barbara will never walk again when she didn't seem to have any trouble in Batman Beyond.

Last edited:

:? What? No she didn't. Chandler pretended he still had feelings for her and couldn't bear no live next to her. She didn't buy the house.

I feel so ridiculous for having this argument.

Oh yeah , It's been awhile since I've seen it as I didn't like the like the last season.

You should. Look who you're arguing with. One word---"ZOOM". :wink:

Says the Person who called Pan's Labyrinth "Boring" and thinks " Superman Returns was amazing :lol: Hey at least I said Zoom was entertaining and did not "bring tears my eyes" :lol:

Genius. It'd be like Entourage meets Legally Blonde.

- I think I've already mentioned that I'd love Superman Returns to be made into a TV show as I think it has the potential to be very good, as well as its format being more suited to a TV show. Brian Singer only has about five hours of film (max) to resolve a big bunch of personal issues that could be delved into in far more detail on a TV show.

Latest posts

Back