Final Fantasy and other Square-Enix games (Possible Spoilers)

Lynx

I didn't see a thread for Final Fantasy (Along with two other of my favorite game series, Kingdom Hearts and the Chrono games) in general, so I figured I'd make one.

Three new Final Fantasy games have been announced with likely more to be revealed at the big Square-Enix this weekend.

Final Fantasy Dissidea

This, apparently, is Square's answer to Super Smash Bros. They tried this before (Ehrgeiz) and it wasn't very good, but this one looks much better. The only thing making me scratch my head is. . .why the PSP?

Final Fantasy IV DS

Apparently, they're reamking Final Fantasy IV in 3D on the DS. I love this. IV is one of my favorite RPGs ever and, even though this will mark the fourth time I will have bought this game (Once on SNES as FF2, once in the Final Fantasy Chronicles collection and once as Final Fantasy IV Advance), I'm looking forward to it.

Final Fantasy XII International

You know, I really think we get cheated out of the International versions of these games. I totally would have re-bought FFX, FFX-2, Kingdom Hearts Final Mix and Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix because they add a lot of content. They're like the "Director's Cut" versions, and for 40-60 hour games, a Director's Cut would totally be worth it. Now, I wasn't a big fan of XII, but this new Job system sounds great. It's a shame we'll probably never see it.

So, this brings me to the discussion in general. I've been a fan of Final Fantasy since I was about 5 (I'll be 21 in July) and they've been a significant part of my life. When the Compilation of FFVII has been announced, I realized that SE was just milking the franchise so I stopped caring for awhile. Of course, Kingdom Hearts 2 made me realize how much I love these characters and I went back and started paying attention again.

I'm kind of glad they're remaking some of the older games, and games like Dissidia and Crisis Core look really good, despite being spinoffs. I just hope we see some ingenuity in XIII and beyond, but we'll see.

Two other series within the SE stable that I love are Kingdom Hearts and the Chrono games. Kingdom Hearts is basically Final Fantasy with Disney characters and both the gameplay and story are top notch. I'm curious to see what this spinoff series Nomura is talking about is, and how it ties into the KH2 Final Mix secret trailer.

The Chrono games (Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross) are two of my all-time favorite games ever (Trigger topping my list and Cross being in the top 10), but, sadly, there has been no word of a sequel past it getting a name 5 years ago (Chrono Break). I'm hoping we'll hear something about it this weekend.

So, what are your thoughts of Final Fantasy? Or even KH or the Chrono games?

Last edited:
Not a final fantasy fan but Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers on Wii looks pretty cool

Final Fantasy XIII and FFXIII Versus will be the greatest thing. They look so ****in awesome.

And I'm still trying to beat 12. I've had it since Nov.

I'd love to see a sequel to Bouncer.

Honestly, the only reason why I bought my PS3 was the previews to FFXIII and FFXIIIvs

SSJmole said:
Not a final fantasy fan but Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers on Wii looks pretty cool

You know, I think a few friends and I played the original Crystal Chronicles for a few nights, then got bored with it. So, I'm not really looking forward to either the DS or Wii version.

Final Fantasy XIII and FFXIII Versus will be the greatest thing. They look so ****in awesome.

And I'm still trying to beat 12. I've had it since Nov.

I'm going to agree with the XIII and versus XIII sentiment. They both look pretty wicked. Although, I am utterly pissed they decided to make another mobile phone game. I really wanted to play Before Crisis, but it's a freaking mobile phone game that will probably never come out here! Agito XIII looks to be the same. Even if they did come out here, I'm sure you'd need a 400 dollar phone just to play them and would likely have to have a specific phone service.

skotti-chan said:
I'd love to see a sequel to Bouncer.

Honestly, the only reason why I bought my PS3 was the previews to FFXIII and FFXIIIvs

XIII (And Metal Gear Solid 4) will be the the reason I buy a PS3. Never played Bouncer, but I've heard mixed feelings about it. . .

Last edited:
We here that plays PAL versions of games got the International version of Final Fantasy X. The extra bosses on that is REALLY hard. :shock:

It is a possibility that the Final Mix version of KH2 will be released in the US but nothing solid yet.

Unfortunately I think the Square Enix has lost the rights to the Chrono series and most of those that worked on the games have moved on and doesn't work at Square Enix anymore.

I am right now playing Final Fantasy VI Advance on GBA and it's really fun (have already beaten the SNES and PS version about 20 times) since you can no longer use Vanish/Doom or X-Zone to beat most enemies.

You know, I think a few friends and I played the original Crystal Chronicles for a few nights, then got bored with it. So, I'm not really looking forward to either the DS or Wii version.

Never played the GCN one. I liked the look of it and they eliminated certain things from other games which could be cool as long as it's harder.

Final Fantasy VII I completed easy and didn't really like

Unfortunately I think the Square Enix has lost the rights to the Chrono series and most of those that worked on the games have moved on and doesn't work at Square Enix anymore.

They still have the rights to the series, but Chrono Trigger itself has legal issues. So no reamkes/ports of that (Although, I wouldn't doubt us seeing it on Virtual Console eventually). But, you're right about most of the people having moved on; at least, the CT team. They made Blue Dragon on the 360. The CC team, as far as I know, are still there, but have been put on separate projects. From what I know, SE doesn't want to invest in a Chrono game due to it requiring the same kind of comittment a Final Fantasy game would require, but with less turnaround. CC sold 1.5 million copies while FFX sold 5 million. Big difference.

Last edited:
You know what Square franchise I wish they'd get right again? The Mana Games. The Secret of Mana was one of, if not the greatest Action RPG I've ever played. And every other Mana game has fallen between mediocre (Legend) to downright abysmal (Children). At this point I don't even want a new Mana game. Just give me Secret of Mana on the DS. Thats not asking for too much, is it?

You know what Square franchise I wish they'd get right again? The Mana Games. The Secret of Mana was one of, if not the greatest Action RPG I've ever played. And every other Mana game has fallen between mediocre (Legend) to downright abysmal (Children). At this point I don't even want a new Mana game. Just give me Secret of Mana on the DS. Thats not asking for too much, is it?

Apparently, it is. The creator of the Mana series hates Secret of Mana, hence the new direction of the series.

They still have the rights. But, you're right about most of the people having moved on; at least, the CT team. They made Blue Dragon on the 360. The CC team, as far as I know, are still there, but have been put on separate projects. From what I know, SE doesn't want to invest in a Chrono game due to it requiring the same kind of comittment a Final Fantasy game would require, but with less turnaround. CC sold 1.5 million copies while FFX sold 5 million. Big difference.
Yeah, I checked up on it and it was the names they had licensed that they had no right to anymore (Chrono Break etc. etc.)
From interviews the heads of SE has also said that they want they persons that was behind the first two to make a possible sequel if it ever should happen so it's not likely we will ever see a third part of the saga.

Secret of Mana 2 is, in my opinion, even better than Secret of Mana. After that it just went downhill.

Last edited:
Yeah, I checked up on it and it was the names they had licensed that they had no right to anymore (Chrono Break etc. etc.)
From interviews the heads of SE has also said that they want they persons that was behind the first two to make a possible sequel if it ever should happen so it's not likely we will ever see a third part of the saga.

Well, that sucks. . .

Latest posts

Back