Firefly series discussion (Spoilers!)

I can see how people might think that. I would say that maybe he "borrowed" a couple ideas from it.

Agreed. There are similarities sure! But, come on, that's like saying most of High Fantasy has ripped off Tolkien.

And let's face it... High Fantasy is on a much better basis to be accused of plagiarizing Tolkien that Whedon of Outlaw Star.

I'm honestly unsure as I've not seen either of the shows FIREFLY is supposed to rip off. But I sincerely doubt either show had the Mal character, and he is, pretty much, the entire show.

Superficially, it might be similar, but I doubt it is in any meaningful way.

I'm honestly unsure as I've not seen either of the shows FIREFLY is supposed to rip off. But I sincerely doubt either show had the Mal character, and he is, pretty much, the entire show.

Superficially, it might be similar, but I doubt it is in any meaningful way.
Actually, Mal and Gene Starwind do have some noticeable similarities.

Space outlaws who choose to live outside of the government's reach, hiding a girl in a box from said government, always trying to find jobs to keep their ship going and their crew fed, sarcastic sense of humor, bickering insubordinate crews, combat pragmatists, and they both find themselves doing charitable deeds (which keep them perpetually poor) because they're not as heartless as they make themselves out to be.

Last edited:
That's interesting.

As I said - I don't know anything about the show. Seems I was wrong. There may be more striking similarities than I assumed.

Yeah... The three Space Western shows have a whole lot in common... Mal actually fits in pretty well between Spike Siegel and Gene Starwind. Personality-wise, as well as the fact that they all serve basically the same role in their respective space-western series.

259.jpg

lg_mal.jpg

gene2.jpg

Also: Cowboy Bebop is better than Firefly. And this is coming from someone who pretty much adores Firefly.

WAITAMINUTE.

It is one thing to say that FIREFLY shamelessly ripped off another show, but it is an entirely other matter to say that the other show is better.

To this, there can be only one response:

thespecialhellpc3.jpg

Yeah... The three Space Western shows have a whole lot in common... Mal actually fits in pretty well between Spike Siegel and Gene Starwind. Personality-wise, as well as the fact that they all serve basically the same role in their respective space-western series.

259.jpg

lg_mal.jpg

gene2.jpg

Also: Cowboy Bebop is better than Firefly. And this is coming from someone who pretty much adores Firefly.

I've only seen Firefly and am about halfway through watching the others.

But anyway:

[youtube]B6T0aVsYor0&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]dodM-6jY3BM&feature=related[/youtube]

Now we need a video of Firefly set to Tank!

Of course if we really want to settle the differences between the shows, we need to make a "Who would win in a fight" thread.

WAITAMINUTE.

It is one thing to say that FIREFLY shamelessly ripped off another show, but it is an entirely other matter to say that the other show is better.

To this, there can be only one response:

thespecialhellpc3.jpg
I love Firefly. I've seen every episode and the movie at least 3 times now, but I have to agree with the Good Doctor here. Cowboy Bebop was one of the first anime I ever watched and it's still the best I've ever seen. And it stacks up favorably when compared to my favorite shows of all time.

Bebop is exceptionally well made, smart, and funny. You should check it out.

How does Doom spend his day off in Afghanistan?

He has a Firefly marathon, capped off with a viewing of Serenity.

Joss Whedon is love.

Which makes my desktop that much more meaningful.

Ah, Firefly. *sigh*

Indeed, my good browncoat.

Slightly off topic, I flipped through the Serenity Roleplaying Books while Christmas shopping. While the sample campaigns were pretty standard RPG stuff, the sample characters were interesting enough that I would've liked to see them on the show.

[youtube]3Q3pdj9p6yI[/youtube]

And now, for a radical shift in mood, I found this little tidbit while surfing the Firefly wiki.

According to Tim Minear, Inara's vial was to be revealed in a later episode to be able to kill whoever she has sex with. In the story, Inara uses the vial during a reaver attack, and when the crew find her, all of the reavers are dead.

...that's the most horrifying thing I've read in a while.

Did anyone read the new Serenity comic, Float Out? It was written by Patton Oswalt and was about three of Wash's friends after his death. The last page revealed that Zoe was pregnant with Wash's child. I would read a post-Serenity Firefly series because I love these characters so much.

Anyway, Alan Sepinwall is doing a Firefly rewind thing where he goes back and watches the series and discusses each episode. The first one is here. I think it's weekly and I might join in.

I did and found it very dull.

I actually thought that the three guys toasting Wash were his old shipmates and this was taking place just after Mal poached him. So the story would end with them toasting Wash as he left, for the first time, on Serenity, with his marriage, adventures, and death all still in front of him. It would've been a poignant way to do the funeral scene without it actually being a funeral.

I sat down last week and re-watched Firefly, a few episodes per day. Man, what a fantastic show.

I also went through the Serenity comics, and am now re-reading the unreleased Serenity novel "My Own Kind of Freedom". The story/plot is a bit weak, but the author really nails the characters in every aspect, and its just nice to read about the characters beyond the brevity of the wonderful show and pretty fun movie (and mediocre comics).

If you're interested in reading it, its easy to find online, since its unpublished and officially nothing more than fan fiction. I personally view it as canon since it was going to be released and fits in just after the Serenity comic "Those Left Behind" and before the movie. It wasn't released since the Serenity movie and its novelization did less than stellar in terms of sales. Apparently there were plans to do a series of ongoing novels. If they were as spot on in terms of characterization as "My Own Kind of Freedom" is, I'd have definitly and happily have plunked down $7-8 dollars on them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back