Five Fists of Science

ourchair

[IMGL]http://www.sunshinebreakdown.net/ourchair/temp/05-fivefists.jpg[/IMGL]Anybody heard of Five Fists of Science?

I just heard about this book from writer Matt Fraction in an interview with Fanboy Radio, and I am totally excited. The premise, from publisher AiT/PlanetLAR's website:
1899: Mark Twain decides to save the world. With the help of a terrifying invention created by millionaire playboy/scientist Nikola Telsa, the two get into the business of selling world peace. The problem? Nobody's buying. When they run afoul of an evil science-cabal led by J.P. Morgan and Thomas Edison dedicated to infusing the Black Arts with the spirit of the Industrial Age, New York becomes the backdrop for a war over soul of man — and maybe even Earth itself.
Fanboy Radio host Scott compares it to League of Extraordinary of Gentlemen, but with a scientfic twist. But Fraction declares that the only thing that separates Five Fists from League is that it is actually based on true story from a time when writers and scientists could be rock stars.

It's when the giant robots and monsters show up that Fraction begins to take creative liberties. "The first page in the introduction is sort of Twain telling the readers that this is a work of fiction... It's all fun and games until I actually came across something in my research that doesn't allow me to have fun and games, so I ignored it," says Fraction.

Here's a page from the aforementioned Mark Twain introduction:
http://www.nearmintheroes.org/images/5fistsbig.jpg

ourchair said:
[IMGL]http://www.sunshinebreakdown.net/ourchair/temp/05-fivefists.jpg[/IMGL]Anybody heard of Five Fists of Science?

I just heard about this book from writer Matt Fraction in an interview with Fanboy Radio, and I am totally excited. The premise, from publisher AiT/PlanetLAR's website:Fanboy Radio host Scott compares it to League of Extraordinary of Gentlemen, but with a scientfic twist. But Fraction declares that the only thing that separates Five Fists from League is that it is actually based on true story from a time when writers and scientists could be rock stars.

It's when the giant robots and monsters show up that Fraction begins to take creative liberties. "The first page in the introduction is sort of Twain telling the readers that this is a work of fiction... It's all fun and games until I actually came across something in my research that doesn't allow me to have fun and games, so I ignored it," says Fraction.

Here's a page from the aforementioned Mark Twain introduction:
http://www.nearmintheroes.org/images/5fistsbig.jpg

I've got to read this...

Baxter said:
I've got to read this...
I think turn of the century scientists fighting robots and monsters is awesome. It's right next there to my comic book wet dreams of kung fu journalists.

Sounds like an American-centric League of Extraordinary Gentleman. Could be a lot of fun.

compound said:
Count me in! I am SO there.

Twenty bucks says i'll be the one who starts the series discussion thread for this, once it actually begins.
Of course you will. Because you'll be picking up the trade for me at Druid's Keep, and be a twit by reading the trade and starting the thread before handing it to me.

On that note, put the first issue of Fraction's Casanova for me on pull at Druid's. I want to try it out as well. Fraction's doing the same deal as Ellis/Templesmith's Fell: 16 pages for $1.99, with the first issue being a bonus 'double-sized pilot' at 32 pages for $1.99.

I haven't given enough props to this comic simply for its title. "Five Fists of Science". :lol: Great stuff.

Heh, this does look good actually. It does remind me me somewhat of Wild wild west, though that probably would be far more entertaining in comic book form.

Last edited:
Guijllons said:
Heh, this does look good actually. It does remind me me somewhat of Wild wild west, though that probably would be far more entertaining in comic book form.
The Wild Wild West would have been awesome as a comic. The only thing it wouldn't have been able to replace is Kenneth Branagh.

It was originally schedule for summer 2005, but was finally solicited for November 2005. Haven't seen an updated shipping notice, so I have no idea when it'll finally ship. I ordered it through khepri.com (because I missed the Nov. cut-off date for orders) and it just says "shipping soon".

ourchair said:
It's right next there to my comic book wet dreams of kung fu journalists.
What about kung fu slave-freeing ex-Presidents?

abekido.jpg
Abe Kido
This shirt combines Lincoln, who is great, with self-defense, which everybody respects. Good thing + good thing = better thing, right? Observe the flying squirrel. Observe the houseboat. Here, in that same tradition, we bring you the iconic Abe Kido shirt.

SOURCE: http://store.mcsweeneys.net/index.c...8-4031-B923-E4AE66EE86B3/MensAbeKidoShirt.cfm

compound said:
Count me in! I am SO there.

Twenty bucks says i'll be the one who starts the series discussion thread for this, once it actually begins.

This is going to be an easy score.

This was finally released last week -- and by Image, no less, so it's easy to pick up at even the big chain bookstores (well, at least it is, here in Manila).

I had kinda given up on being able to read this, relegating it to Wouldn't-It-Be-Nice? status, so I was totally shocked when I read about its publication.

I've gotta save up for a copy, but I'll be reading it as soon as I can afford it.

If anybody else has read it, and would like to start the discussion (spoilers and all), please go ahead.

Latest posts

Back