Five Fists of Science

The characterization of Mark Twain is wonderful - he has the "P.T. Barnum" showmanship down, the dry, wicked sense of humor. Nikolai Tesla is good as well, sort of an earlier, obsessive-compulsive disorder Reed Richards. The plot is fun, but I wouldn't call the book "great" - the bad guys are bad guys for no real reason (other than they are "rich and evil industrialists) and it makes you wonder what they are doing and why. Although I have no problem with J.P. Morgan being painted as a complete villain (think of him as an early William Randolph Hearst or Rupert Murdoch).

But the plot does involve giant robots fighting black magic, so that's a plus...

This is sitting ontop of my to read pile. As soon as I get to it I'll post my thoughts.

I've already gotten a good chuckle from the first page.

Does anyone else think the idea behind this is similar to Benito Cereno and Graeme MacDonald's Tales from the Bully Pulpit? That one was great, but I haven't found a copy anywhere (read a scan).

vintsukka said:
Does anyone else think the idea behind this is similar to Benito Cereno and Graeme MacDonald's Tales from the Bully Pulpit? That one was great, but I haven't found a copy anywhere (read a scan).
I think I read the first page or two of that. Never did see it....

I loved 5FoS, and can't wait for Frictions next book, Cassanova (starts this week, fell format!)

The whole thing was great. "Look! It's Millionaire Playboy Nickoli Tesla!" I was laughing my *** off. Didn't go over too well since it was 3am...

Latest posts

Back