"Five Years Later" MCU watch thread

Tribble314

This is heavily based on the Marvel Cinematic Universe timeline, elsewhere on this site. All credit goes to DIrishB, Lebnyx, and now Starvel.

Goals:
  • Divide the story into "episodes" of 20 - 60 minutes, starting with the five-year time jump in Endgame.
  • Create an easy watch experience. I don't want to chop things up too finely.
  • The dates listed are the watch schedule. They'll be close to the in-universe dates, but that's a secondary goal.
For those who are new here:
  • The chapters listed are DVD chapter numbers.
  • The timecodes start from the first proper scene of the movie, after any logos or recaps. I've included key lines and events, to make it easier to know where to start and stop.

October 8-14: FIVE YEARS LATER
Avengers - Endgame Chapters 3 - 8 (0:20:01 - 1:07:11) — From "FIVE YEARS LATER" title card until "NEW YORK, 2012" title card.

October 14-21: Time Heist
Hawkeye 1x01: "Never Meet Your Heroes" (0:00:00 - 0:05:46) — Battle of New York flashback.
Avengers - Endgame Chapters 9 - 12 (1:07:12 - 01:38:54) — Until "NEW JERSEY, 1970" title card.
Loki 1x01: "Glorious Purpose" (0:00:00 - 0:05:04) — Until Loki arrives at the TVA. (We'll check back on Loki later!)
Avengers - Endgame Chapter 13 (01:38:55 - 1:48:10) — Until "How do I look?"

October 21-28: Assemble
Avengers - Endgame Chapters 14 - 15 (1:48:11 - 2:03:00) — Until "I think it worked."
Hawkeye 1x05: "Ronin" (0:00:00 - 0:03:11) — Until Marvel Studios logo.
WandaVision 1x04: "We Interrupt This Program" (0:00:00 - 0:02:14) —Until Marvel Studios logo.
Avengers - Endgame Chapter 16 - End (2:03:01 - End)

I got a bit of encouragement here, and a bit on Twitter. I've started with the first three weeks, covering Endgame.

Great idea! I had the idea of doing it with Endgame but never started, with the dates you provided I can now organize more time but honestly I think that it would be better to start counting the intros and logos, aside from it this is a great work!

Great idea! I had the idea of doing it with Endgame but never started, with the dates you provided I can now organize more time but honestly I think that it would be better to start counting the intros and logos, aside from it this is a great work!
I use a friend's Disney+ account, and it's not logged in on my computer. Trying to get accurate timecodes on a TV is tough, so I'm working with what others have done.

It's not the most user-friendly system, but it's enough to get you close.

Wait, hold on, am I wrong about that in the first place? I tried seeing how much Endgame is off by, and it looks like it's dead on.

Was I remembering that from a different timeline? Arrowverse, maybe?

I'm a bit late getting to this first "episode," but I finally found time while I was on a flight.

It seems like it should be weird to start a movie 20 minutes in, but honestly it works pretty well! We're reintroduced to all our characters, with some new dynamics. We've got an inciting event, and a new mission that has a very different feel than Endgame. The stakes are immensely personal, and everyone has their own reasons for being there.

Looking back with what we know now, this is clearly laying seeds for future plotlines:
- Steve laid down the shield long before giving it to Sam. He's right not to trust the government with it, but he's rebuilt enough trust with Tony to give it to him for safekeeping.
- Cassie is now a teenager, with a new actor, setting up Quantumania.
- I know the New Asgard section sets up Love & Thunder, but I've only seen bits of that.
- Tony's grief over Peter will be mirrored in Far from Home.
- Tony's priorities are: "Bring back what we lost. Keep what I've found. Not die trying." Arguably, he accomplishes two of them, and in hindsight it's clearly setting up his death. Later series will put an asterisk on "bring back what we lost," though. It was never going to be that easy.
- Bruce's explanation of time travel is deliberately muddled, but it's beginning to set up Loki and the whole multiverse saga. He's saying that when you change the past, your previous timeline still exists somewhere in the multiverse. It's not overwritten, causing a Back-to-The-Future-style paradox. We'll get that spelled out better later.

Some of this we could guess at the first time, based on what had been announced.

One thing that's jarring is that Clint goes back to being a family man after multiple killing sprees. I guess the point is that he'd *rather* be at home with his family. I'm just glad that the Hawkeye show wasn't set during this Christmas.

All in all a good setup. Dividing (most of) Endgame into thirds works pretty well so far!

Latest posts

Back