Flash Gordon

SSJmole

Face-Punching As Foreign Policy
Flash Gordon Gets the Green Light
Source: SCI FI Channel
January 12, 2007

SCI FI Channel has greenlit production on "Flash Gordon," based on the popular comic strip franchise, it was announced today at the Television Critic's Association tour. Production on the 22 one-hour episodes begins in Canada in early 2007. The series, produced by Reunion Pictures, is slated to debut on SCI FI in July of '07, with a broadcast syndication window to follow.

Under an agreement with property owner King Features Syndicate, the new series is being produced by RHI's Robert Halmi, Sr. and Robert Halmi, Jr., who previously produced SCI FI's popular miniseries event "Legend of Earthsea."

Ming, Dale Arden, and Dr. Hans Zarkov are among the many beloved characters returning to television in this contemporary retelling of the intergalactic exploits of "Flash Gordon." Stellar adventures and heroic battles mark this inventive new take on the perennial science fiction classic. The "Flash Gordon" comic strip was created in 1934 by legendary comic-strip artist Alex Raymond and is still distributed internationally today by King Features Syndicate.

I was never a flash gordon fan but I know others are so i figured i would share

Flash Gordon is one of the characters that I'm more interested in the idea of the character more than the character itself. I'm interested.

Flash Gordon is one of the characters that I'm more interested in the idea of the character more than the character itself. I'm interested.
Same here.

I've seen the actual black and white serials on DVD, and they're kind of moronically written... even for the time. But that aside, I'm interested in the same way Proj is.

As long as they use the music from the 80's movie version, that's cool with me. Gotta hear "FLASH (dundundundundun) AH-AHHHHHH!". Queen did that soundtrack if I remember correctly.

As long as they use the music from the 80's movie version, that's cool with me. Gotta hear "FLASH (dundundundundun) AH-AHHHHHH!". Queen did that soundtrack if I remember correctly.
That song is awesome.

FLASH! AH-AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! FLASH!

"Smallville" alum Eric Johnson has landed the title role in SCI FI Channel's upcoming series "Flash Gordon."

The 22-hour series, a contemporary take on the popular comic strip franchise, is slated for an August premiere. It will feature Johnson as space traveler Flash Gordon embarking on all-new adventures.

Peter Hume wrote the first two episodes, which will be directed by Rick Rosenthal ("Smallville"). Production is to begin May 1 in Vancouver.

Casting is under way for the other roles, including Flash Gordon's fellow space travelers Dale Arden and Dr. Hans Zarkov.

The "Flash Gordon" comic strip was created in 1934 by Alex Raymond and is being distributed internationally by King Features.

From Superhero Hype

I'm now officially sold on the concept!

It sounds unapologetically 80s, in terms of plotting, but with a more contemporary execution.

I just hope the first season is 22 episodes of Random Alien Threat of the Week passing through the wormhole, then Flash space-suiting up to deal with the source, back on Mongo, while the series mythology develops in slow-burn, in the background.

I *do* like the Adam Strange-esque idea of him having a normal life in the 'real' world, alongside his raygun-toting space adventures. I have no idea whether the previous serials incorporated that concept, but I think it's got potential.

SCI FI announced today the casting of Sam J. Jones as a guest star on the Channel's new series "Flash Gordon." Jones played the title character in Mike Hodges' 1980 film, Flash Gordon.

Introduced in a widely read comic strip by Alex Raymond and film serials starring the late Buster Crabbe, "Flash Gordon" gained a new legion of fans in the 1980s with a film starring Sam J. Jones. SCI FI Channel's "Flash Gordon," a new original series premiering August 10 @ 9PM and featuring Eric Johnson ("Smallville") in the title role, contemporizes the Flash legacy for a new generation of viewers.

With a tip of the hat to the Flash legacy, Sam J. Jones will guest star in an upcoming episode of the SCI FI series entitled "Revelations." Jones will play 'Krebb,' a seedy prisoner who reveals surprising information about the fate of Flash's long lost father.

This special episode of "Flash Gordon" is slated to premiere on SCI FI Channel in October.

That's pretty cool

Maybe we can get one of those kewl Queen wannabe bands do do the soundtrack! There's like 500 of them running around, acting all emo and wearing eyeliner...can't be hard to find one.

Maybe we can get one of those kewl Queen wannabe bands do do the soundtrack! There's like 500 of them running around, acting all emo and wearing eyeliner...can't be hard to find one.

The Darkness Should do it! (love the darkness)

The Darkness Should do it! (love the darkness)

Totally not what I meant! Darkness are cool.

They are kind of Queen wannabes though, now that you mention it.

Paul Rodgers and Queen or George Michael and Queen?

Or Todd Rundgren and the Cars?

At least Paul Rodgers +Queen (and I think Todd Rundgren and Cars, but I don't remember) have the decency to bill themselves as that.

Unlike Axl Rose and his GNR cover band.

I really had no interest in seeing the show....but as it's premiere edged closer I feared that I would be missing out on some Sci-Fi channel gem like Battlestar Galatica, that all of you would clamor on and on about.

It looks like my worries are unfounded. According to this review of tonight's premiere.....the show sucks harder than something that really really really sucks. Or TOG.

Not looking good....

Last edited:
And it's confirmed....this show is absolutely horrible.

I also move that the lead actor not be given work in Hollywood ever again. Unless it's to bring someone their food.

And it's confirmed....this show is absolutely horrible.

I also move that the lead actor not be given work in Hollywood ever again. Unless it's to bring someone their food.

I have to agree. I couldn't even stand watching past the first half-hour. It blows.

Besides, Ming isn't even Asian! He's played by a Caucasian! Whats up with that?!? Its just not Flash Gordon unless the villain is living up to a terrible stereotype.

This show'll be off the air in a few months.

I taped it last Friday, and finally got to watch it Wednesday night. I have to agree that the premier was kind of underwhelming. None of the baddies seems particularly threatening, the wormhole only stays open for about 10 seconds at a time (so immanent invasion by Ming's alleged army doesn't seem likely), and I agree with the reviewer who was commenting that everyone on this supposedly alien planet looks thoroughly human. (They might as well have migrated there from, say, southern California. Honestly, the whole thing could take place right on Earth, and nothing would have to be changed. At least the 80's movie had a race of people with wings....)

By the way, was Dr. Zarkov's name ever mentioned on the show? If so, I missed it completely. He spent the entire two hours as "that weird scientist guy who seems to be panicking a lot over nothing".

I'll tape tonight's episode and watch it over the weekend, just to see how this develops, but right now the series reminds me of Sci-Fi's The Secret Adventures of Jules Verne -- great idea, has a lot of potential, but just didn't fly.

Latest posts

Back