Four Seasons

Taskmaster

I gathered from Ultimates Annual #1 that the Four Seasons were somewhat unique
however in Ultimates #8 and #9, large numbers(possibly hundreds) of these soldiers can be seen. In #9, at least seven Rocketmen are depicted.
My question is, are the generic supersoldiers we see in #8 and #9 copies of the Four Seasons, or are they a less powerful variety of super-soldier?

I think the Four Seasons, as well as the guy being fit for a rainbow costume, were generic super soldiers... Only there to suggest that Fury and SHIELD were building an army, a back-up plan, beside the Ultimates.

Goodwill said:
I think the Four Seasons, as well as the guy being fit for a rainbow costume, were generic super soldiers... Only there to suggest that Fury and SHIELD were building an army, a back-up plan, beside the Ultimates.

Right. He said in the annual that the initial Reserves group was just a start and they would be expanded on.

yes, but Fury did say that the original team would have nine members, while the reserves were supposed to have 26.
Going on this, I assumed that the soldiers we saw in the later issues were weaker.

I thought they were all Wanda-created. She does her powers shtick, and then they come boiling out to face the enemy.

jtg3885 said:
I thought they were all Wanda-created. She does her powers shtick, and then they come boiling out to face the enemy.

I doubt Wanda could just materialise a few hundred soldiers out of nowhere... otherwise there wouldn't be any need for most of the SHIELD staff....

Fuzzy Birds said:
I doubt Wanda could just materialise a few hundred soldiers out of nowhere... otherwise there wouldn't be any need for most of the SHIELD staff....
Considering they still hadn't de-kinked all 26 of the Reserves as of the Annual, I really doubt they had mass-produced them to that extent by U2 #9. There's no other real explanation. Wanda messing with reality in one panel, next panel, army of Rocketmen and assorted flying guys and Goliaths.

jtg3885 said:
Considering they still hadn't de-kinked all 26 of the Reserves as of the Annual, I really doubt they had mass-produced them to that extent by U2 #9. There's no other real explanation. Wanda messing with reality in one panel, next panel, army of Rocketmen and assorted flying guys and Goliaths.

Er..... maybe they just weren't there until that point? Maybe they were late? Maybe they took a few minutes to react?

And they had the Rocketmen, the Goliaths and the Four Seasons perfected during the annual, so why couldn't they mass produce?

Fuzzy Birds said:
Er..... maybe they just weren't there until that point? Maybe they were late? Maybe they took a few minutes to react?

And they had the Rocketmen, the Goliaths and the Four Seasons perfected during the annual, so why couldn't they mass produce?
Because that kind of thing takes more than whatever the timespan is between the annual and U2 #9? Which is fairly short?

jtg3885 said:
Because that kind of thing takes more than whatever the timespan is between the annual and U2 #9? Which is fairly short?

How do you know? The first mention we get of the reserves is in the annual, where they appear near complete. We don't know how long it took them to manufacture. But if the Rocketmen were based on Starks old blueprints, I imagine it's just a case of putting the parts together. And I'm fairly sure the Goliaths and Four Seasons were modified with some super soldier-esque serum, which I imagine doesn't take too long to introduce to subjects.

Plus, it fits with Millars tone of the book. This is not a superhero team, this is an army. It only makes sense that as it gets more powerful and feared, it would increase in size.

If the reserves could initially be put together behind the scenes without us seeing them until the annual, which was the impression I got, then why couldn't they similarly build up behind the scenes into something bigger?

And I could be wrong, but didn't we already see a load of reserves during the Cap fight? More so than in the annual?

Well i could never understand how there were so many of them in the issue where Captain America got arrested and in the annual there was only 4. I think They had all those supers and it wasn't wanda messing with reality, The men were just trapped in the floating fortresses wanda just released them. If the men attacking America had all of those super soldiers then i'm sure the U.S. had the same ability to mass produce supersoldiers.

i always kinda thought the 4 seasons were gonna have different powers due to their seasons, and not just be the generic super-soldier. idk. probably doesn't matter, as they're most likely dead now.

The Four Seasons and the Supersoldiers jumping out of the helicopters have power from their suits. Also there was Thunderbolt and Intangi-Girl and Owen, Rusk and O'Donohue that they were still working on. While the 5 Goliath's have power and there were 7 or 8 others ready to go public.

Last edited:
My impression, after reading the annual then U2 eight and nine were that the Four Seasons were generic supersuits, but they were just going to be part of the "public face". So, they give them codenames, more colorful suits and kind of set them up as "a team within the team" to appeal to some demographic. Kinda going along with Fury's remarks of "they designed Giant Man to be an action figure" comment.

Maybe late December back in '63 the Four Seasons would have been just them four, but like it was stated earlier, Fury is building an army. In my opinion, it should have a lot of women, because big girls don't cry.

Yeah the Four seasons probably were modified versions that were to be part of the public relations. They make four specific suits and a dosen general not-as-powerful one. Plus all the ones in #9 could be not competed but ready enough in case of an emergency.

Also do the Four Seasons have 616 counter-parts?

Last edited:
Random said:
Also do the Four Seasons have 616 counter-parts?

B0000032I9.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

jtg3885 said:

Wouldn't the huge army of those anti-Ultimate guys be as absurd if that was true?

Besides, after reading Captain Britain's profile in the Ultimates Handbook, they are actually just wearing super-powered exo-suits. Since they've already solved the problem of developing powerful suits and they have a titanic budget, that wouldn't be surprising that they were capable of mass-producing the suits for the entire SHIELD army in a short time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back