Frank Miller to Direct "The Spirit"

Don't forgot Miller wrote the screen play to Robo Cop 2, which had a "its so bad its good" kinda charm, but was still nothing compared Robo Cop 1.

But was a cinematic masterpiece when compared to Robocop 3

I much prefer the idea that a super success works well in a certain decade, but not outside of it as opposed to the 'just got lucky' thing (because being lucky more than once makes it less probable it was luck originally).

I think you're right. It certainly explains George Lucas.

I agree on all counts. I feel that a big chunk of Miller is firmly stuck in the era of Reganomics and Maggy Thatcher.

But was a cinematic masterpiece when compared to Robocop 3

That's not saying much, Robo Cop 3 wasn't even rated R. That's like saying Batman Forever is better then Batman and Robin, its a true but meaningless statement.

That's not saying much, Robo Cop 3 wasn't even rated R. That's like saying Batman Forever is better then Batman and Robin, its a true but meaningless statement.

True :lol: I was just saying it could have been worse as 3 and Prime Directives proved

I never really liked Frank Miller that much anyway. I think that THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS is vastly overrated, especially when people compare it to WATCHMEN. YEAR ONE is okay and probably my favourite of his work. I feel that SIN CITY and 300 worked better on the screen than in comics, probably because they're quiet visual and Miller's art can be quite distracting. What I've read of his Daredevil run was okay though it was hard to get into.

My only experience with The Spirit is Darwyn Cooke's wonderful run and I can obviously see how different these two takes are. Honestly, I don't really care how good or bad it is. I always knew it wouldn't be a brilliant film. I just want to see it because it looks visually insane. And who knows, I might be warmly surprised just like with SPEED RACER.

I feel that SIN CITY and 300 worked better on the screen than in comics, probably because they're quiet visual and Miller's art can be quite distracting.

I preferred the movie 300 to the comic as well. Though I saw film first and that made me buy comic was still cool but I enjoyed film more.

I never really liked Frank Miller that much anyway. I think that THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS is vastly overrated, especially when people compare it to WATCHMEN. YEAR ONE is okay and probably my favourite of his work. I feel that SIN CITY and 300 worked better on the screen than in comics, probably because they're quiet visual and Miller's art can be quite distracting. What I've read of his Daredevil run was okay though it was hard to get into.

My only experience with The Spirit is Darwyn Cooke's wonderful run and I can obviously see how different these two takes are. Honestly, I don't really care how good or bad it is. I always knew it wouldn't be a brilliant film. I just want to see it because it looks visually insane. And who knows, I might be warmly surprised just like with SPEED RACER.

See, I love Darwyn Cooke's Spirit, because unlike Miller, he knew and worked with Eisner. He understood where the subtle parody was, and how it worked.

I much prefer the idea that a super success works well in a certain decade, but not outside of it as opposed to the 'just got lucky' thing (because being lucky more than once makes it less probable it was luck originally).

I think you're right. It certainly explains George Lucas.

Chris Claremont too

See, I love Darwyn Cooke's Spirit, because unlike Miller, he knew and worked with Eisner. He understood where the subtle parody was, and how it worked.
Eisner actually knew Miller as well, and they frequently differed on their views --- not violently or wildly, mind you --- which is why they had such great conversations. (Read the excellent Eisner/Miller book length interview published by Dark Horse)

The problem is that Miller tends to impose his hyper specific style onto everything he does, and as you've observed his brain is still stuck in Reaganomics and Thatcherism.

But yes, Darwyn Cooke's The Spirit stuff is awesome. I love the one where he teams up but not with Batman.

This movie wasn't bad. It wasn't good either. Who the hell told Frank Miller he could direct a movie? Let alone a movie based on Will Eisner's THE SPIRIT?! If he and Eisner had such different views, then Miller should not have been able to touch The Spirit film adaptation.

Of course this is Frank Miller's The Spirit, not Will Eisner's The Spirit. But when such is the case, then there's no point in making the movie. Also, I understand why they changed the Octopus so that his face was shown, but they reveal his whole friggin' origin. And Miller COMPLETELY changes the Spirit's origin as well,
making him the result of some kind of undead "ubermensch" experiment as well as tying him to the Octopus.
The "clones"/henchmen (Pathos, Logos, Nervos, Huevos, Dildos, etc) were extremely annoying. The jumping foot was just ridiculous.

I found this movie to be....unremarkable and lame. The dialogue is really bad ("I'm gonna kill you all kinds of dead!"). The plot is insanely stupid, though I understand that wacky, over-the-top stuff like "Heracles' blood" would be found in pulp comics. I think Roger Ebert says it best: "There is not a trace of human emotion in it. To call the characters cardboard is to insult a useful packing material."

Frank Miller and Paul Levitz (President of DC Comics) both cameo. Levitz is the guy who says "You'll believe a man can't fly." There are references to Elektra, "The Hard Goodbye," and Steve Ditko.

There were awesome parts. And there were bad parts. The bad outweight the good.

The biggest problem this film suffers from is that its Frank Miller's The Spirit and not Eisner. If anything, I would've had Cooke scribe the screenplay and have Miller direct...but not have him do The Spirit Goes To Sin City.

There were awesome parts. And there were bad parts. The bad outweight the good.

The biggest problem this film suffers from is that its Frank Miller's The Spirit and not Eisner. If anything, I would've had Cooke scribe the screenplay and have Miller direct...but not have him do The Spirit Goes To Sin City.

I pretty much agree totally with you. The only disagreement is, I couldn't find any awesome parts, but I admit, I left about an hour in. I couldn't take it anymore.

I pretty much agree totally with you. The only disagreement is, I couldn't find any awesome parts, but I admit, I left about an hour in. I couldn't take it anymore.

When I say awesome....I mean "Samuel L. Jackson having a ****ing blast playing this bat**** crazy psycho character and watching Scarlett Jo doing the exact same in sexy noir cosplay".

Sorry. I should've clarified that in the beginning.

When I say awesome....I mean "Samuel L. Jackson having a ****ing blast playing this bat**** crazy psycho character and watching Scarlett Jo doing the exact same in sexy noir cosplay".

Sorry. I should've clarified that in the beginning.

I hate to admit, I LOVED Sam Jackson in this. He was so fun and over the top, but I felt that Scarlett was kinda... unno.. misused? Now, I'm not a huge fan of Eva Mendes, but she had some really hot moments.

I mean...c'mon

2431772212_6e8b70fa08_o.jpg

Latest posts

Back