Free Comic Book Day 2007

ourchair

I'm surprised no one's brought this up.

So did anyone celebrate FCBD this year?

Compound and I basically went in and out of two comic stores we frequent, picked up our comics, got our freebies and left. That's about as exciting as it gets. I spent about $21 on comics, and got about 11 or 12 free comics, plus some Republic Commando figurine-like tchotchke.

I already mentioned elsewhere that I slept until 4pm, completely forgot about it until all the comic stores closed, and cried.

I really want the two Marvel books and I hope I can get them somehow.

Haven't read any of them yet, but here're the free comics I got:

IDW's Transformers Official Movie Prequel # 1, DC's Legion of Superheroes in the 31st Century, The Amazing Spider-Man feat. story by Dan Slott & Phil Jimenez, Too Hip Gotta Go Graphics' Wahoo Morris, Robert Kirkman & Jason Howard's The Astounding Wolf-Man from Image, Who Wants to Be A Superhero? FCBD Preview feat. Feedback. Walt Disney's Mickey Mouse from Gemstone Comics, Comic Genesis Web Comic Sampler, Dynamite Entertainment's Battlestar Galactica: Season Zero/The Lone Ranger, Drawn & Quarterly Activity Book by Lynda Barry, Marvel Adventures Iron Man & Hulk and Dark Horse FCBD Sampler feat. The Umbrella Academy, Zero Killer & Pantheon City.

And I finally picked up Stormwatch: PHD.

If I had a comic ship closer than 3 hours away, I would totally have gone and got The Astounding Wolf-Man.

I think nobody was clamoring over this year's selection as oppoed to last year due to qulaity of product.

I mean the only one that looked interesting was Kikman's Wolfman. But still didn't look good enough for me to check out.

If I had a comic ship closer than 3 hours away, I would totally have gone and got The Astounding Wolf-Man.
Too bad.

The Astounding Wolf-Man was the entire first issue (as opposed to an abridged version), meaning you can continue the series by picking up # 2 right after.

I read the Dark Horse sampler, and quite liked The Umbrella Academy. It's basically about a bunch of young crime-solvers whose appearance and powers are a polyglot of paranormal archetypes. One of them has the head of a man, and the body of a gorilla, another has Cthulhu like tentacles extending below his waist, and another tells lies that become truth, etc, etc, etc. They're all mentored by a monocle-wearing gentleman and in this story they try to stop a homicidal stage magician. The art's great as it looks a lot like the artistic love-child of Mike Mignola and Michael Avon Oeming.

Marvel Adventures was rather disposable lightweight reading, and I was disappointed with the Legion of Superheroes in the 31st Century, which wasn't quite as good as its sister animated DC comic, Justice League Unlimited.

Swing shift was...odd. In an interview on newsarama, dan slott said that the story does not fit in with continuity, but that it seems like it could at some point in the future, and there are some ideas here that seem like they were put in to be used later on.

Peter is in civvies on his way to Aunt May's to celebrate her birthday, toting a cake, and remarking how everything's been so quiet recently, with all the heroes in town being "so well organized" that there's no recent need for a "lawless vigilante" like himself, and super villain activity's been quiet. Cue spider sense, then a black sports car comes racing down the street almost plowing into him and several others as the driver yells "Overdrive coming through!". Pete throws a tracer on the car, webs up the cake and changes (red and blues), chases after the car and yells (inexplicably) "The amazing Spider-Man is back!" Cut to inside the car where Overdrive, basically some dude in a black motorcycle helmet, is talking to his boss, a Mr Negative, on videophone, about hopart w the "museum heist" went and if the "artifact" was gotten successfully. We won't hear anymore about the artifact again. Spidey lands on the car and tears off part of the top of the car to find that Overdrive has a bunch of Spider-man collectables on his dash, and the guy says he's a big fan of Spidey, which doesn't then stop him from pushing a button, electrocuting spidey off the car. Cut to the bugle where everyone, Jonah included is excited because "Spider-man is back in action!". Cut to "The Bar With no Name", where supervillains apparently go to unwind, all dressed in costume (the ones i recognized were killer shrike, the spot, boomerang, and kraven[?!]). They all start betting on the battle with Overdrive, now being broadcast on the news. Cut to Spidey managing to get onto the back of the car, then is blown off by a blast of exhaust fire. a car swerves to avoid spidey, flips, and heads for the crowd where a mysterious female in super costume appears to shove people out of harms way. someone in the crowd yells "that's Jackpot! one of the city's new heroes!" spidey thanks her, she mentions she's been "trained for situations like this", then she tells him to continue chasing overdrive. i need to say more on jackpot after the summary. Spidey gets on the roof of a pursuing cop car and instructs them on the best traffic route to catch up with overdrive, since he's been observing NY traffic from the sky for years. They catch up to him on a bridge and spidey tells the cops to ram him off the side. They do and the car and Overdrive get caught in webs for the cops to extract, along with the classic "courtesy of your friendly etc." note, that the oddly starstruck Overdrive asks the cops if he can keep. Spidey then gets back to the cake but realizes it's only been half an hour since he webbed it up, and it takes an hour to dissolve. Cut to aunt may returning home after being taken out by friends. Inside she sees Peter asleep on the couch with the slightly banged up cake on the table besides. She breathes a sigh and talks to Ben wishing Peter could be more "responsible. Poor dear." the end.

i left out a description of Jackpot for a reason. Its a green and silver outfilt with a gold belt with three 7's on it, green sleeves with gold bands, and a gold mask. But that's not the important part. Those of you who may have been upset at recent, um, happenings in USM may want to skip the next part here.

Jackpot has bright red hair, and as spidey leaves to catch Overdrive, he thanks her, and as he leaves she says under her breath..."Any time, tiger."

Last edited:
I think nobody was clamoring over this year's selection as oppoed to last year due to qulaity of product.

I mean the only one that looked interesting was Kikman's Wolfman. But still didn't look good enough for me to check out.

I didn't bother this year, and that's exactly why. The last couple of years there has been nothing of interest to me.

The comic companies really need to figure out what they want to accomplish with Free Comic Book Day. If the intent is to get NEW people into comics, as is want I understood, they should be giving out Spider-Man, Superman, and Batman with tons of ads for other books. I don't recall the list off the top of my head, but I do not remember there being any Spider-Man books. Wha--?! Right in the middle of Spider-Man 3 opening weekend?! Marvel should ahve been flooding the racks with free Spider-Man comics. Just reprint old ones - it doesn't matter.

There was a free spidey book, new story, by Slott and Jimenez. see my summary above:)

There was a free spidey book, new story, by Slott and Jimenez. see my summary above:)

Okay, but what I'm saying is that Marvel should have OVERDONE it with Spider-Man/Venom/Sandman stuff.

Okay, but what I'm saying is that Marvel should have OVERDONE it with Spider-Man/Venom/Sandman stuff.

They did do that; they just made people pay for it. Because they're EVIL.

Wolfman was alright.

Last Blood was alright. Neither did much for me for they were better than the other free comics.

Most disappointing was the Virgin comic thing, it's a sampler of a few (all?) of their comics. It's jarring between them and you don't really get what the comic you're reading is about at all.

Yeah - I'd say that's more "stupidity" though.

Same here.

I went in to the comic shop with a lot of my family (much of them early teenaged boys) and the cousins and my little brother went in their and got the free comics not the ones you had to pay for.

If they had a Venom free comic it would have made their day. The Spidey comic they did have was really meh.

If these comics are meant to bring in new readers, it failed with my cousins and my little brother (whom I've been trying to get into comics for years) and some good free comics (which a bit of a movie tie in) would help a lot.

Not comics that you can easily throw away the next day and never miss, as many of them are.

Same here.

I went in to the comic shop with a lot of my family (much of them early teenaged boys) and the cousins and my little brother went in their and got the free comics not the ones you had to pay for.

If they had a Venom free comic it would have made their day. The Spidey comic they did have was really meh.

If these comics are meant to bring in new readers, it failed with my cousins and my little brother (whom I've been trying to get into comics for years) and some good free comics (which a bit of a movie tie in) would help a lot.

Not comics that you can easily throw away the next day and never miss, as many of them are.

Even if they don't want to pay someone to write a story - they have how many years worth of Venom stories they could just reprint. Such a great chance to bring in some of the millions of movie-goers and get them to start buying comics as well...wasted.

Latest posts

Back