Friday Night Lights (TV)

Victor Von Doom

Fist of teh Internets.
NBC's "Friday Night Lights" is awesome. Plain and simple.

It's been adapted for TV by the same guy who directed the film (one of...if not THE greatest football movie ever made) Peter Berg.

corky.jpg

I find this particularly amusing because this is the same man who was an idiot in "Great White Hype" (GREAT MOVIE BTW). But that's beside the point....

This show is great because it has the same emotional punch that the film gave us. So far the story is pretty simple---new season and the star QB is injured and the untested rookie needs to step up and be the star. Of course the coach is under pressure from the entire town to win State. It's like a mixture between "Varsity Blues" and the "Friday Night Lights" film. Hopefully by focusing on the characters and the events leading up to Friday night the show will veer on the side of greatness as it's film counterpart rather than the amusing "Varsity Blues".

This show is a MUST watch for any football fan.

5/5

Eh, I watched the first few minutes and found it boring, so I clicked away

Maybe I'll give it a chance

That's because it's for football fans, not science nerds.

Er...I mean evil scientists.

So several more episodes into the season and it's shaping up quite nicely.

Seriously---if you loved the book or even the film....you'll love the show. At certain points you can almost see them pulling different angles or plots from other generic football films....but when you get past that---you find the show is all emotion.

TV likes to sensationalize football to focus in on the hard-pounding hits and stellar plays. But this show focuses more on the characters and their personal lives and how it ties into the football games (that actually don't get much airtime unless it's a crucial paryt of the episode).

Still an awesome show that I recommend to all football fans.

It kind of bothers me that this isn't on Friday night.

It kind of bothers me that this isn't on Friday night.

Basically what Maxwell said. While it would be VERY appropriate---I don't know very many people who are home on Friday night. And if they are home---they're getting ready to go out.

Plus I think Friday night is dominated by crap like CSI or Law and Order.

This show recently premiered in the Philippines.

Should I watch it? And if so, gimme a good reason other than 'it is awesome'.

Ten bucks says VVD answers this question.

Incidentally, I like Kyle Chandler because he was in Early Edition, which was also an awesome show for two seasons before Kristy Swanson came on and totally crapped all over the place.

That's it

I'm cloning your ***, only to do gruesome things to it, send them to you in a Fed Ex package, just so you know that I'm coming to do the same things to you in person

And I will make sure you won't like em

That's it

I'm cloning your ***, only to do gruesome things to it, send them to you in a Fed Ex package, just so you know that I'm coming to do the same things to you in person

And I will make sure you won't like em
First you'll play God with my genes!

Then you'll play ME with uh.. ME!

:scared:

This show recently premiered in the Philippines.

Should I watch it? And if so, gimme a good reason other than 'it is awesome'.

Ten bucks says VVD answers this question.

Incidentally, I like Kyle Chandler because he was in Early Edition, which was also an awesome show for two seasons before Kristy Swanson came on and totally crapped all over the place.

It's one of the best "family" dramas on TV.

To be honest---there was a point where I missed like 4 episodes in a row and just dropped the show. But I promised myself that I would check it on DVD and follow it from Season 2 on.

I think I like the show because of the pacing. It's not all filler until shots of the big game. The show will have a game about every other episode. So one show will deal with the drama going on about town for the whole week....and then the following week's episode will deal with whatever is going on for gameday and then the game.

The show itself is an amalgamation of almost every football movie ever made.

It's not a "must-see" show unless you're a football fan. But it's still a damn solid show that is definitely worth a view.

It's one of the best "family" dramas on TV.

To be honest---there was a point where I missed like 4 episodes in a row and just dropped the show. But I promised myself that I would check it on DVD and follow it from Season 2 on.

I think I like the show because of the pacing. It's not all filler until shots of the big game. The show will have a game about every other episode. So one show will deal with the drama going on about town for the whole week....and then the following week's episode will deal with whatever is going on for gameday and then the game.

The show itself is an amalgamation of almost every football movie ever made.

It's not a "must-see" show unless you're a football fan. But it's still a damn solid show that is definitely worth a view.
I'm no football fan, so damn. But we don't have American football here, we have 'soccer'. What actually piqued my interest was a little line in the Wiki entry that said that it 'examines the effects of football on a town in Middle America.'

Simply because there just isn't enough American television focusing on Middle America, and when it does it's usually condescendingly written by over-educated liberal tight asses who think Middle America is all culturally backwards bumble****s with narrow-minded conservative views.

It's like New York, Washington, D.C. and Los Angeles are the only cities that television writers seem interested in writing about in any kind of diverse and multi-faceted way.

This is why I like King of the Hill. It's actually a roughly positive look at Middle Americans, and doesn't try to do that by making up characters that are 'forward-thinking oddities' in their small town.

What actually piqued my interest was a little line in the Wiki entry that said that it 'examines the effects of football on a town in Middle America.'

And to it's credit....it does. I've been to a couple of the small towns in Middle America that obsess over high school football. Mainly because it is the only draw there is to the town other than the Super Walmart.

When they say that these little towns worship football and its players....they aren't kidding.

And Texas?!?!? Wow. They love football so much that if Jesus himself came down and started The Rapture....they'd have the nerve to ask him to hold on until after the 4th quarter.

And to it's credit....it does. I've been to a couple of the small towns in Middle America that obsess over high school football. Mainly because it is the only draw there is to the town other than the Super Walmart.

When they say that these little towns worship football and its players....they aren't kidding.

And Texas?!?!? Wow. They love football so much that if Jesus himself came down and started The Rapture....they'd have the nerve to ask him to hold on until after the 4th quarter.
Are those effects at least portrayed in ways complex and/or sympathetic?

Latest posts

Back