G.I. Joe movie (news and speculation)

ourchair

I couldn't find a thread for this, and for some reason the search function thinks the words "GI" and "Joe" are too common to bother searching.

I figured a lot of people here are G.I. Joe fans (I'm not), so it would please you all to know that the movie has been greenlit.

IGN Filmforce reports:
IGN Filmforce said:
Trusted sources have informed IGN that Paramount Pictures has now given G.I. Joe the green-light with a budget said to be $170 million. Filming begins in early 2008 under the direction of Stephen Sommers (Van Helsing).

The most interesting piece of information we gleaned, however, is that Paramount isn't rushing G.I. Joe into production because of the looming Writers Guild strike, but rather -- as our sources claim -- because the studio stands to lose the rights to the property if it doesn't shoot soon. Hasbro and their reps at the William Morris Agency control G.I. Joe so if Paramount doesn't make the film within a specific window of time they could lose out on another potentially lucrative film franchise a la Transformers.
Commence with the "this is going to suck because Hollywood doesnt know anything"ing. :D

Last edited:
This is one movie I can honestly say that should be done by Michael Bay.

That rhymed.

Anyway... not sure about Sommers because I thought Van Helsing sucked, and Bay is great with blowing **** up. There will be plenty of that going on in any GI Joe movie worth a damn. I think I might post my dreamcast up for this (aka "The Lost Dreamcast) since the GIJOE DC thread was ill-received by you "I don't like GI Joe! POKEMON FOREVER!" nancy boys on this forum.

This is one movie I can honestly say that should be done by Michael Bay.
I disagree. And I LIKE Michael Bay.

To me, Michael Bay's films may be about blowing stuff up and usually have the military figure largely within the plot but he's not really about managing a whole army of characters. The Rock was basically a buddy flick with heavy amounts of Aaron Sorkin style smart mouth. The Island was a a lovers on the run movie with a sci-fi plot

The only exception to this was Armageddon, which I think benefitted largely from the work of Shane Salerno who does a lot of really good character juggling work when contributing any kind of script work.

I tend to think of G.I. Joe as The Dirty Dozen for kids, and so it'd be important to get someone who can do all the juggling work of representing all the characters well but without expending too much time on needless character exposition. So yeah, someone OTHER than Stephen Sommers AND Michael Bay.

Unless of course, you had Michael Bay and Shane Salerno working together.

I tend to think of G.I. Joe as The Dirty Dozen for kids, and so it'd be important to get someone who can do all the juggling work of representing all the characters well but without expending too much time on needless character exposition. So yeah, someone OTHER than Stephen Sommers AND Michael Bay.

Unless of course, you had Michael Bay and Shane Salerno working together.
That's a good view

That's a good view
This is why I think Armageddon and Galaxy Quest are far better movies than people give them credit for.

Go watch them again and see how much time they DON'T spend telling you about the characters, yet still manage to develop them well.

*turns to VVD*

Let's say our mantra!

"Are you retarded or something? Don't you know who we are? We're the ******* HOLLYWOOD GENIUSES!"

This is why I think Armageddon and Galaxy Quest are far better movies than people give them credit for.

Go watch them again and see how much time they DON'T spend telling you about the characters, yet still manage to develop them well.

*turns to VVD*

Let's say our mantra!

"Are you retarded or something? Don't you know who we are? We're the ******* HOLLYWOOD GENIUSES!"

I've always been a fan of Armageddon, but I never realized how good the characters really are

We should run around Hollywood yelling at directors and actors how they've ****ed things up. And whe they asks who we are we will always respond with that phrase

Sienna Miller (Factory Girl, Casanova) has been signed to play the Baroness. Ourchair earned 14,355 HSX dollars because of this.

I'm surprised no one has reported this.

snakeeyesreal.jpg

Snake Eyes from GI Joe. I really don't know a lot about this character or the mythos surrounding the cartoon, but it looks pretty cool.

Sienna Miller (Factory Girl, Casanova) has been signed to play the Baroness. Ourchair earned 14,355 HSX dollars because of this.

I'm surprised no one has reported this.

It's because I'm too furious at the horrid miscasting.

Some smart mouth on a movie gossip blog has probably already written a post entitled "Casting from Step Up takes the G.I. Joe Movie a step down."

All should sit at my feet and gather the pearls that emanate forth from me.

Wait....did I just quote----
I think I did.

Okay, Scarlett works for me.

I'm still dreading Destro and in-leather Baroness (and what I've seen of civilian Baroness, I'm not expecting much).

Latest posts

Back