Godzilla (2012)

Jaggyd

The member formerly known as skotti-chan
Looks like WB/Legendary Pictures is shooting for a 2012 release date for the new US Godzilla movie.

At least he's not an iguana this time.

godzillanew.jpg

What?!

I'm all up for another Godzilla movie as the franchise has bags of potential that hasn't been realised since the 1985 film "The Return of Godzilla".

Has classic Godzilla ever been done in CG before or has it always been a guy in a suit? Because I'm really curious as to what he's going to look like in this movie. If they aren't going for the iguana look, I'm hoping that they'll bring him back to his roots but use CG instead.

Has classic Godzilla ever been done in CG before or has it always been a guy in a suit? Because I'm really curious as to what he's going to look like in this movie. If they aren't going for the iguana look, I'm hoping that they'll bring him back to his roots but use CG instead.

[video=youtube;X_uCcaaIavc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_uCcaaIavc[/video]

And that right there, is one of the best pieces of CGI I've ever seen.

It's a dream sequence in another movie, but it's the same makers of the Japanese Godzilla movies. I think they should definitely go CG in the next one if they can do it like that.

As for the Matthew Broderick Godzilla movie, I don't have any major problems with it. If anything the human story is more interesting than any of the Japanese ones I've seen (and that's really saying something). I guess it's a bit annoying that they changed Godzilla so much in it. He was smaller than the Japanese Godzilla and it was dumb making him an amphibian. Plus, he was really powered down in that American one, compared to the Japanese one where nothing the military did could ever even phase him (although maybe this was an intentional thing to prevent him from being boring).

Last edited:
[video=youtube;X_uCcaaIavc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_uCcaaIavc[/video]

And that right there, is one of the best pieces of CGI I've ever seen.

It's a dream sequence in another movie, but it's the same makers of the Japanese Godzilla movies. I think they should definitely go CG in the next one if they can do it like that.

That was pretty cool. I never get tired of that music.

I actually prefer this Godzilla music. It's far more vengeful and angry.

[video=youtube;wzABoU33Kj8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzABoU33Kj8[/video]

Anyone who's casually interested in Godzilla should check out the original Japanese version of The Return of Godzilla, which is one of the best Godzilla films, ever. Just for fun, also watch the bastardised American reversion Godzilla 1985 that was released a year later with Raymond Burr footage pasted in.

Last edited:
There's been a rumor for years that Thomas Pynchon is writing a novel about Mothra.

Believe it or not, this rumour is what originally got me interested in Pynchon.

He should totally write it.

I think they did a combination of suits and CGI for Gozilla: Final Wars.

I think they did a combination of suits and CGI for Gozilla: Final Wars.

Godzilla and most of the walking monsters were entirely suits, but Rodan and some of the other flying ones were CGI (and terrible CGI at that). I think Mothra might have been a bit of both.

Latest posts

Back