Greatest Comic Book Runs Ever

ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
I thought it would be fun to compose a list of the greatest comic book runs ever, whether you like them or you can appreciate their worth.

The Ultimates - Mark Millar/Bryan Hitch
Planetary - Warren Ellis/John Cassady
Daredevil - Brian Michael Bendis/Alex Maleev

I'll think of more eventually, those are just off the top of my head. The first two options I love extremely, and the third I can appreciate why people love it a lot.

EDIT:

Promethea - Alan Moore/JH Williams III

Last edited:
ProjectX2 said:
I thought it would be fun to compose a list of the greatest comic book runs ever, whether you like them or you can appreciate their worth.

The Ultimates - Mark Millar/Bryan Hitch
Planetary - Warren Ellis/John Cassady
Daredevil - Brian Michael Bendis/Alex Maleev

I'll think of more eventually, those are just off the top of my head. The first two options I love extremely, and the third I can appreciate why people love it a lot.

EDIT:

Promethea - Alan Moore/JH Williams III

This is good in light of the discussion about Bendis/Bagley breaking the "record" on Ultimate Spider-Man.

You have to go with the classics - Lee/Kirby on Fantastic Four, Lee/Ditko on Amazing Spider-Man, etc.

I haven't read the whole thing, but I always liked Gerry Conway/John Romita Sr.'s run on Amazing Spider-Man, if only for the Death of Gwen Stacy storyline. Waaaaay ahead of it's time.

Mark Millar/Phil Hester's Swamp Thing. The perfect end to the character and should have never been undone. Its amazing for Millar to have been in his 20s while writing this all and as for Hester, his renditions of the characters and the horrific situations were always perfect. The crown of the run has to be the Chester the hippy issue in wich an alternate take of the character is given in which he turns his life around, becoming a cop and a hard line republican.

I think Lee and Claremont were great back in the 90's with x-men. And of course you know I'm going to plug my favorite artist Chris Bachalo and Lobdell on their like 60 issue run on Generation X (small interruptions were here and there where Bachalo did not draw, but that was only for like 11 issues).
Edit:
My bad Bachalo and Lobdell did not do 60, sorry about that I don't know what I was thinking. They did like 28 I think, then the book went to hell and then died.

I forgot about Milligan and Allred with X-Statix, they did like 26 issues or something. I loved that book, too bad no one else did. And of course, BKV and Pia Guerra which is still going strong as we speak with probably the best run out of all the other ones I've previously named.

Gaiman - Sandman - Best comic series ever done. Nothing. NOTHING has topped this yet. The sheer amount of planning of the overall narritive is mindboggling. I honestly don't know how he pulled it off.

Ice said:
Chuck Austen- Everything X-Men
You know his US War Machine wasn't bad. I'm not saying it was great, or even particularly good, but it was deffinatly readable. And it had Darkhawk as a psycotic killing machine, so theres a plus.

Last edited:
Mostly ones people have already named: Morrison's New X-Men, Gaiman's Sandman, Hitllar's Ultimates, Ellis and Cassaday's Planetary, and Ennis and Dillon's Preacher (Though I haven't finished reading it).

How long is a "run" for the purposes of this thread? Is the run linked purely by consecutive issues by the same writer or artist, or does it have to be both the same writer and artist?

Anyhow, some of my favourite "runs" (I'm going by any consecutive run by a writer or artist for a minimum of 13 issues)

All of Hellboy by Mike Mignola (there's some collaboration along the way, same for the team behind it's spin off B.P.R.D., Bureau of Paranormal Research & Development)
Grant Morrison on JLA from #1 to 41 (#18, 19, 27, 32, 33, and 35 weren't written by Morrison)
Doom Patrol #19-61 by Grant Morrison
Animal Man #1-26 by Grant Morrison
All of 100 Bullets (currently up to #70~) by Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso
Brian Azzerello's run on Hellblazer
The Earth X trilogy (Earth X, Universe X and Paradise X) by Alex Ross, Jim Krueger, Doug Braithwaite, and Jean-Paul Leon (sp?)
Nextwave by Warren Ellis and Stuart Immonen (it will be)

There's probably more I'm forgetting at the moment.

I really loved Mark Waid's run on Fantastic Four. It was one of the first non-Ultimate Marvel things I read getting back into comics and it was great fun.

Last edited:
Bass said:
How long is a "run" for the purposes of this thread? Is the run linked purely by consecutive issues by the same writer or artist, or does it have to be both the same writer and artist?

Anyhow, some of my favourite "runs" (I'm going by any consecutive run by a writer or artist for a minimum of 13 issues)

All of Hellboy by Mike Mignola (there's some collaboration along the way, same for the team behind it's spin off B.P.R.D., Bureau of Paranormal Research & Development)
Grant Morrison on JLA from #1 to 41 (#18, 19, 27, 32, 33, and 35 weren't written by Morrison)
Doom Patrol #19-61 by Grant Morrison
Animal Man #1-26 by Grant Morrison
All of 100 Bullets (currently up to #70~) by Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso
Brian Azzerello's run on Hellblazer
The Earth X trilogy (Earth X, Universe X and Paradise X) by Alex Ross, Jim Krueger, Doug Braithwaite, and Jean-Paul Leon (sp?)
Nextwave by Warren Ellis and Stuart Immonen (it will be)

There's probably more I'm forgetting at the moment.

I'd say a run is having the majority of the story done by the same writer and artist, consecutively.

I don't know what I'm talking about.

I still think Sandman is the most overrated piece of crap ever.

Morrison's New X-Men
Bendis's Daredevil
Ennis' Punisher
John's Teen Titans
Millar's Wolverine
Millar's Ultimates
Whedon's Astonishing X-men

vintsukka said:
I really loved Mark Waid's run on Fantastic Four. It was one of the first non-Ultimate Marvel things I read getting back into comics and it was great fun.

I've said this before, but his first 2 arcs were some of the best comics I've ever read and drew me back into comics after I'd been out for over 10 years.

I believe I'm the only person in the world who thought that the part where they visit Heaven and Jack Kirby is God was DUMB. It was downhill from there.

Ultimate Houde said:
Houde on Law & Order: UC
Nurhachi on UC the fanfic
Bass on UC the Fanfic

Can't argue that.

Ultimate Houde said:
Houde on Law & Order: UC
Nurhachi on UC the fanfic
Bass on UC the Fanfic

:?

:(

:cry:

:evil:

E said:
I've said this before, but his first 2 arcs were some of the best comics I've ever read and drew me back into comics after I'd been out for over 10 years.

I believe I'm the only person in the world who thought that the part where they visit Heaven and Jack Kirby is God was DUMB. It was downhill from there.

what vol. is that? cuz i just got the 2nd one and its on my to read list.....
bass said:
........All of 100 Bullets (currently up to #70~) by Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso........

that is one of the best things i have EVER read, its what got me into non-superhero comics. it was so good i got my cousin hocked on this, and hes the kind of guy thats to 'hard' to be caught reading a comic, but i won that round.

but my fav arc would have to be 3, "hang up, on the hang low" and then 7 Samurai.

nigma said:
what vol. is that? cuz i just got the 2nd one and its on my to read list.....
The heaven stuff E mentioned is in the HC Vol. 2 or TPB Vol. 4. And I do agree, it's definitely downhill from Waid's first arcs, but the first arc in HC Vol. 2 is good stuff.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back