Green Lantern Sequel

The Overlord

Since the Green Lantern movie got bad reviews and under performed at the box office, I thought it would be interesting to ask if a sequel is made, what can be learned from the mistakes of the first movie to make the sequel better?

well, a sequel is being made.

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011...tern-2-will-be-edgier-flash-has-solid-script/

They're calling it "edgier" which means they learned NOTHING.

Ugh. "Edgier". God. Haven't Hollywood producers learned anything? Do they know nothing about storytelling? Do they get these characters at all?

They go with "edgy" when clearly the sequel needs to be "gritty".

The Overlord said:
Huh, I'm a bit surprised they are making a sequel to that movie, considering it barely made its budget back.

Merchandising has something to do with it, I'm sure. But without knowing anything about the sales of GL lunch boxes, action figures, and backpacks, I can't say for sure. Still, it's not surprising, especially in the wake of Marvel's successes. They want a big budget, CGI franchise they can build a film series and licensing off of, and GL is a motherlode just waiting to be strip mined.

Last edited:
Huh, I'm a bit surprised they are making a sequel to that movie, considering it barely made its budget back. Well clearly making GL more "Extreme!" will do nothing to improve the franchise, but you do think they could do to improve the next movie?

Honestly, the first thing they need to do is jettison this whole "EDGY!" thing. Just because Nolan Batman is succeeding with edgy and gritty does not mean the same thing will work on everything. I think GL would be better suited as either a bigger than life Sci-Fi story, or if they insist on making it "dark" go more with a police procedural type story. I think SFX wise, I'd brighten up the energy, also, I would go with a hybrid costume (traditional costuming with digital augmentation). I've read a few places that the CGI for the costume was about 20x the cost of a traditional moulded latex costume, and was an unneededly large part of the budget.

well, a sequel is being made.

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011...tern-2-will-be-edgier-flash-has-solid-script/

They're calling it "edgier" which means they learned NOTHING.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I read the article and it's Martin Campbell's fault, apparently. And not, y'know, the fact that the writing was piss-poor.

If they want GREEN LANTERN 2 to do well, maybe their protagonist shouldn't complain when space gods give him a magic wishing ring.

I want to say they need to do less. The first one was so jammed with stuff that there was no time for character development or back story or training etc. Craft a good story. Give us some characters we can care about. Give us some indication of why these characters do what they do. Gritty and Edgy is not GL. It is bright and sci fi and fun.

I think the story was too formulaic last time too.

Charismatic, irresponsible protagonist with a girl he's loved since he was a kid, who love him but they can't be together b/c he's immature. He gets a power ring. Doesn't want the responsibility. Misunderstood scientist falls backwards into powers and madness. He causes havok. Our hero grows up, overcomes great fear, defeats the villain, saves the day, gets the girl. Roll credits. WAIT! easter egg scene setting up for the next film. The end.

Green Lantern is an outside of the ordinary hero. He needs to have a story that reflects that.

I'm so sick and tired of every body saying the next movie will be edgy and a lot more like Dark Knight and Batman Begins.

Seriously, anyone who knows what they are doing while converting previously existing IP into a full-length motion picture of Hollywood dazzle goodness, wouldn't make use of lazy rhetoric like that.

Nevermind the fact that Dark Knight and Batman Begins weren't successful because they were gritty, edgy affairs but because they used grit and edge to competent effect in representing what the IP - in this case Batman - was all about.

If anything, it's a little pretentious to read that the next Fantastic Four, Green Lantern needs to be more like a bunch of awesome Batman movies, because it assumes that the aspiration of all super hero properties is to be a bit more like Batman.

(Nevermind the fact that it's faintly ridiculous to tell Batman stories with the Fantastic Four or Green Lantern.)

I'm so sick and tired of every body saying the next movie will be edgy and a lot more like Dark Knight and Batman Begins.

Seriously, anyone who knows what they are doing while converting previously existing IP into a full-length motion picture of Hollywood dazzle goodness, wouldn't make use of lazy rhetoric like that.

Nevermind the fact that Dark Knight and Batman Begins weren't successful because they were gritty, edgy affairs but because they used grit and edge to competent effect in representing what the IP - in this case Batman - was all about.

If anything, it's a little pretentious to read that the next Fantastic Four, Green Lantern needs to be more like a bunch of awesome Batman movies, because it assumes that the aspiration of all super hero properties is to be a bit more like Batman.

(Nevermind the fact that it's faintly ridiculous to tell Batman stories with the Fantastic Four or Green Lantern.)

Everything in life can benefit from being a little more Batman.

I don't think anyone here or most of the fans are demanding the GL films be more like Batman, its just that the Hollywood execs who run WB think GL should be more like Batman, because according to Hollywood logic if Batman is successful it means every DC movie should be like Batman.

I don't think anyone here or most of the fans are demanding the GL films be more like Batman, its just that the Hollywood execs who run WB think GL should be more like Batman, because according to Hollywood logic if Batman is successful it means every DC movie should be like Batman.
I wasn't talking about anyone here or the fans, I was talking about self-proclaimed movie pundits and narrow-minded Hollywood execs.

In other words, exactly what you are saying.

I wasn't talking about anyone here or the fans, I was talking about self-proclaimed movie pundits and narrow-minded Hollywood execs.

In other words, exactly what you are saying.

Fair enough, I was just trying to clarify that point. Some movie "pundits" I have heard have said trying to make darker GL films was a bad idea. Hollywood execs are very simple minded if they produce something successful they try to copy it, even if that forumla doesn't make sense in another film.

Latest posts

Back