Happy Holy Friday.

With all due respect, don't you think you're being a little narrow minded about it?

First of all, let me say that I don't personally agree with the practice of crucifixion and flagellation by devotees. I think it's unsanitary, a health risk, and potentially turns a solemn day of worship into a sensationalized spectacle. I also believe these Lenten rites should be more tightly regulated, in the interest of public safety.

Having said that, I will wholeheartedly defend the penitents rights to carry on with the practice, if their faith compels them to do so.

And I really don't care whether others choose to perceive it as "barbaric", "uncivilized", or as you put it "cult like".

They're not chucking bombs into civilian establishments in the name of their faith (like some Catholics and Protestants in Northern Ireland have done). They're just displaying the extent of their belief in a way that might seem distasteful to people with more delicate sensibilities.

And if you construe that as "bad P.R." to the Church as a whole, then you can take your fake *** Christian charity and shove it where the sun don't shine.

Religion is the original "open source content". It's subject to interpretation, reinvention, and "rebooting". It's been "remixed", and crosses over with other forms of belief. As others have pointed out on this thread, so much Catholic holiday symbolism (eggs, trees, rabbits, and whatnot) is borrowed from Pagan rite. Just because these aspects have gained the approval of the Vatican and Hallmark alike, it doesn't relegate all other forms of worship to "bootleg" versions of "authentic" Catholicism. It just doesn't work that way.

Righteously well said, compound. I was gonna comment, but I really don't think I need to now. That was awesome.

No offense, man, but I know for a fact that your high school was run by the Opus Dei, who never hesitate to apply their own rigid standards and preferences, on top of those set by the Vatican (and really, they make no big secret out of it).
Don't be a twit.

You're basically telling me that my assertions of the importance of abstinence and fasting to Catholics is inherently suspect simply because I learned it from a fascist Opus Dei school.

Well guess what?

They taught -- though not necessarily required anyone to observe it, it was merely included in the educational curriculum -- it in De La Salle Zobel (my first high school), and they taught it in several other local Catholic schools too.

Also, when I speak of the strictness of Catholicism, I don't mean to imply that the religion itself is inherently fascistic -- God knows, i've defended its PREROGATIVE for strict dogma several times before, as it isn't the ONLY kind of Christianity around the block -- I'm talking about what is actually in the damn Catechism book that is published not by an Opus Dei affiliate or PAREF (my school's parent organization), but by the Vatican itself and available on several Project Gutenberg sites.

You may have heard of the propagandizing nature of my school, and it IS largely true, but don't talk like you actually know of any of the particulars.

Don't be a twit.

You're basically telling me that my assertions of the importance of abstinence and fasting to Catholics is inherently suspect simply because I learned it from a fascist Opus Dei school.

Well guess what?

They taught -- though not necessarily required anyone to observe it, it was merely included in the educational curriculum -- it in De La Salle Zobel (my first high school), and they taught it in several other local Catholic schools too.

Also, when I speak of the strictness of Catholicism, I don't mean to imply that the religion itself is inherently fascistic -- God knows, i've defended its PREROGATIVE for strict dogma several times before, as it isn't the ONLY kind of Christianity around the block -- I'm talking about what is actually in the damn Catechism book that is published not by an Opus Dei affiliate or PAREF (my school's parent organization), but by the Vatican itself and available on several Project Gutenberg sites.

You may have heard of the propagandizing nature of my school, and it IS largely true, but don't talk like you actually know of any of the particulars.

Hey everybody! Look at compound and ourchair stage a fight between themselves to try to convince us they aren't really the same person!

jajajajajajajaja!!!

Last edited:
I *clearly* stated that I was making an educated guess; I openly said that I didn't care enough to look up any "valid" sources.

I *clearly* stated that I was making an educated guess; I openly said that I didn't care enough to look up any "valid" sources.
Your educated guess was about the origins of the fasting/abstinence tradition. You didn't make any such claims regarding my school or how it chooses to RE-present the Catholic doctrine.

Even your disclaimer that the factional issuance of ecclesiastic orders about fasting/abstinence may was not a disclaimer, because in that case Southridge doesn't actually apply to that example.

As it is, the school is more uptight about Catechism (ergo Catholic legislation) than it is about ecclesiastial or papal mandates (ergo 'Executive Orders).

Stop retconning yourself.

Wow! I can't believe Good Friday AND Easter have finished, and The Watcher didn't post a single "exclusive" production still from the set of the Crucifixion OR the Resurrection. What self-control! Best Holy Week Ever.

Last edited:
Wow! I can't believe Good Friday AND Easter have finished, and The Watcher didn't post a single "exclusive" production still from the set of the Crucifixion OR the Resurrection. What self-control! Best Holy Week Ever.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Man, there was a really awful dramatised version of 'The Passion' on yesterday and the day before.

Continue.

No offense, man, but I know for a fact that your high school was run by the Opus Dei
So I'm safe in assuming that this is what Ourchair really looks like?:

silas.jpg.jpg

Latest posts

Back