Havent bought a comic book in years...

Welcome Marsels, in case you're still confused, the TPB breakdown goes like this:

Ultimate Spider-Man Vol 1 (#1-7)
Ultimate Spider-Man Vol 2 (#8-13)
Ultimate Spider-Man Vol 3 (#14-21)
Ultimate Spider-Man Vol 4 (#22-27)
Ultimate Spider-Man Vol 5 (#28-32)
Ultimate Spider-Man Vol 6 (#33-39)
Ultimate Spider-Man Vol 7 (#40-45)
Ultimate Spider-Man Vol 8 (#47-53)
Ultimate Spider-Man Vol 9 (#46, Ultimate Six #1-7)
Ultimate Spider-Man Vol 10 (#54-59)
Ultimate Spider-Man Vol 11 (#60-65)
Ultimate Spider-Man Vol 12 (#66-71)
Ultimate Spider-Man Vol 13 (#72-78) *this isn't out yet but should be soon*

Ultimate X-Men Vol 1 (#1-6)
Ultimate X-Men Vol 2 (#7-12)
Ultimate X-Men Vol 3 (#13-20)
Ultimate X-Men Vol 4 (#21-25)
Ultimate X-Men Vol 5 (Ultimate War #1-4)
Ultimate X-Men Vol 6 (#26-33)
Ultimate X-Men Vol 7 (#34-39)
Ultimate X-Men Vol 8 (#40-45)
Ultimate X-Men Vol 9 (#46-49)
Ultimate X-Men Vol 10 (#50-53)
Ultimate X-Men Vol 11 (#54-57) *this isn't out yet but should be soon*

The Ultimates Vol 1 (#1-6)
The Ultimates Vol 2 (#7-13)
The Ultimates 2 Vol 1 (#1-6) *this isn't out yet but should be soon*
The Ultimates 2 Vol 2 (#7-12) *this isn't out yet but should be early 2006*

Ultimate Fantastic Four Vol 1 (#1-6)
Ultimate Fantastic Four Vol 2 (#7-12)
Ultimate Fantastic Four Vol 3 (#13-18) *this isn't out yet but should be soon*

Ultimate Marvel Team Up Vol 1 (#1-5)
Ultimate Marvel Team Up Vol 2 (#9-13)
Ultimate Marvel Team Up Vol 3 (#14-16, Ultimate Spider-Man Super Special #1)
*With the UMTU series, your best bet is to pick up the Hardcover, as it includes all 16 issues plus the USM Super Special #1. For some reason the softcover TPBs skipped #6-8, which coincidentally were the best in the whole run.

Ultimate Galactus Vol 1 (Ultimate Nightmare #1-5)
Ultimate Galactus Vol 2 (Ultimate Secret #1-4) *this isn't out yet but should be soon*

Ultimate Adventures (#1-6)

The Hardcovers are basically like two softcovers combined. So whereas the first thirteen issues of USM were collected in the two separate volumes, by buying the hardcover you get all 13 in the one package:

Ultimate Spider-Man Hardcover Vol 1 (#1-13)

This is true for most of the titles, though Ultimate Adventures, since it was only 6 issues, will probably never come out in HC (we're lucky it came out in softcover).

Hope that helps. And if you're ever wondering how the stories take place in relatation to each other, check out the Ultimate Marvel Timeline, its been up here on UC.com for over a year now and I update every Wednesday a new Ultimate title ships:

http://www.ultimatecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3293&page=1

Actually, UFF Vol. 3 is out. I should know, as it's in my bookcase. :D

Thanks to all of you i feel real hyped to get into the Ultimate Universe.

I think i will start with The Ultimates, just cant decide on the hard cover, or the softback TPBs. I also thinking of the Ultimate Spider-man as well. Guess il make a visit to the comic shop tomorrow to see what they have :)

Thanks all,

Mark

marksels said:
Thanks to all of you i feel real hyped to get into the Ultimate Universe.

Well, we hope you'll stick around and discuss everything.

marksels said:
I think i will start with The Ultimates, just cant decide on the hard cover, or the softback TPBs. I also thinking of the Ultimate Spider-man as well. Guess il make a visit to the comic shop tomorrow to see what they have

That sounds like a good idea. Ultimates is absolutely my favorite comic, and Ultimates 2 is even better than the first series - I couldn't recommend either of them nearly enough.

Hello, just wanted to add that Marvel's also nice enough to reprint the TPBs pretty frequently. So don't worry if the TPB you're hunting down gets sold out, Marvel will probably publish a fresh stock within a couple of months.

What I like in the Ultimate Universe is that they've cut down a lot on the convoluted stuff that seems to affect every 616 Marvel character, where almost everybody has parents (or themselves) who are either Nazi spies, time travelling warriors, clones, parallel universe duplicates and parallel universe duplicates that are time travelling clones who worked as Nazi spies. Sure there's still aliens, alternative universes, clones, time travellers and maybe even Norse gods still in it, but there are presented in a way that makes it seem possible that they could actually exist in our reality, or at least a reality close to ours.

cmdrjanjalani said:
What I like in the Ultimate Universe is that they've cut down a lot on the convoluted stuff that seems to affect every 616 Marvel character, where almost everybody has parents (or themselves) who are either Nazi spies, time travelling warriors, clones, parallel universe duplicates and parallel universe duplicates that are time travelling clones who worked as Nazi spies. Sure there's still aliens, alternative universes, clones, time travellers and maybe even Norse gods still in it, but there are presented in a way that makes it seem possible that they could actually exist in our reality, or at least a reality close to ours.

LOL, brilliant description of the Ultimate Universe!

ProjectX2 said:
Actually, UFF Vol. 3 is out. I should know, as it's in my bookcase.

oh, ok, sorry, stopped collecting the trades over a year ago, picking up just the single issues now.

Wow, just thought i let you guys know i did pick up The Ultimates v.1 TPB and Ultimate Spider-Man v1 TPB and must say, "WOW" Really good stuff, i only read both once, plan to read once more to make sure i gathered everything, but so far i enjoyed both. I loved the conflict with in The Ultimates, and really like how spider-man started off. I plan on looking for The Ultimates v.2 TPB so i can be ready for v.3 when that comes out (really like the idea of the softcovers) and Ultime Spider-Man as well. Hopefuly il get my self caught up so i can get myself into all tehse debates soem day :p

Just thought i say thanks for the advise, it really paid off in bringing in a new fan :)

Mark

PS: I know this is a Marvel fan site, but i did pick up on advice fromt eh comic book store owner "Kingdom Come" which is illustrated by Alex Ross. Must say i love his work in the book, he also told em about "Marvel" anotehr of his books, what your guys take on it? Im about to get that one as well.

marksels said:
Wow, just thought i let you guys know i did pick up The Ultimates v.1 TPB and Ultimate Spider-Man v1 TPB and must say, "WOW" Really good stuff, i only read both once, plan to read once more to make sure i gathered everything, but so far i enjoyed both. I loved the conflict with in The Ultimates, and really like how spider-man started off. I plan on looking for The Ultimates v.2 TPB so i can be ready for v.3 when that comes out (really like the idea of the softcovers) and Ultime Spider-Man as well. Hopefuly il get my self caught up so i can get myself into all tehse debates soem day :p

Cool. Grab that second TPB as soon as you can - the first Ults 2 TPB is right around the corner.

marksels said:
PS: I know this is a Marvel fan site, but i did pick up on advice fromt eh comic book store owner "Kingdom Come" which is illustrated by Alex Ross. Must say i love his work in the book, he also told em about "Marvel" anotehr of his books, what your guys take on it? Im about to get that one as well.

We do have a general comics discussion forum where you can discuss any comic not covered in other forums - including DC and Kingdom Come.

To answer your question - Marvels is the name of the book you are talking about, and it is beautifully done and well-written. I really enjoyed it and I know others did too.

Ross also wrote one of the best comic stories ever written - Earth X. The TPB is out of print and sometimes tough to come by, but it's well worth it if you can track one down. It is going back to print within the next couple months, in hardcover form I believe. I couldn't recommend it enough.

In fact, this thread has now been moved to the General forum.

Gavin Bennett said:
I've heard nice things about Ultimate Spiderman - next time I have more money than sense, I'll get the first hardcover! :D

Not sure if you have a B. Dalton or Barnes & Noble near you (you can order online if not), but there is a nice HUGE hardcover for USM put out by B&N that collects the first THREE hardcovers in one book. $39.99 if I'm not mistaken - you can't beat that. :D

marksels said:

Just thought i say thanks for the advise, it really paid off in bringing in a new fan :)

Mark

Kingdom Come is really, really good. Made me love Superman. Marvels I didn't like, but I read it ages ago and should give it another try. A really good think Alex Ross co-wrote and did the covers for is the Earth X trilogy (Earth X, Universe X, and finally Paradise X) which is really, really good. It's filled with 616 trivia, but a friend of mine, who is completely cold to 616 owns the entire trilogy and re-reads it all the time. He loves it more than I do, and I'm a 616 g33k. And I never had to explain anything to him (other way round actually!). It rocks.

Also, glad you liked the Ultimates. :D It's a great read.

We do have a general comics discussion forum where you can discuss any comic not covered in other forums - including DC and Kingdom Come.

Thanks, i realized that, and thanks for moving it. Sorry for any trouble. I wasnt planning on starting a Kingdom Come conversation, but could have been leading this thread into a general comic rather than just Marvel.

Ross also wrote one of the best comic stories ever written - Earth X. The TPB is out of print and sometimes tough to come by, but it's well worth it if you can track one down. It is going back to print within the next couple months, in hardcover form I believe. I couldn't recommend it enough.

I will keep a look out for Earth X, or anything else Ross co-wrote. If he is as good at writing as he is in his art then cant beat that really. I think this is the first time i actually took notice of one particular writer/artist. Never really paid attention to who wrote or drawn comics. Hehe could barely remember the anme of my favorite actors :p

marksels said:
I will keep a look out for Earth X, or anything else Ross co-wrote. If he is as good at writing as he is in his art then cant beat that really. I think this is the first time i actually took notice of one particular writer/artist. Never really paid attention to who wrote or drawn comics. Hehe could barely remember the anme of my favorite actors :p
The HC comes out next month. $50. It'll be worth it. :wink:

Kingdom Come is really, really good. Made me love Superman.

Bass, ya i thought it was really good aswell. I loved the Superman in his later years. They should how human he can be even though he has all that power. When i say human i mean compassion for others, and the desire to avoid major conflict, even though it ended that way. Excelent read for sure, plan to keep that on a regular read.

icemastertron said:
The HC comes out next month. $50. It'll be worth it. :wink:

Ooh will look for that then, thanks.

BTW, having fun with these quote buttons, sure make things easier.

marksels said:
Thanks, i realized that, and thanks for moving it. Sorry for any trouble

'Sno trouble at all. :D

Latest posts

Back