HDTV is the greatest thing in the history of ever

My aunt and uncle have a big flat-screen HDTV.

I don't find it very impressive. In fact, I was kind of disappointed when I saw it. Maybe it's my crappy eyesight, but it didn't look any different from normal tv to me.

Though I must say that watching "To Catch A Predator" on such a nice expensive tv sure makes you feel classy.

If they are watching regular broadcast channels, then no, it won't look different at all.

If they are watching regular broadcast channels, then no, it won't look different at all.
My little cousin was watching NASCAR or something in HD and even that didn't look very good.

But maybe that's just because it's NASCAR.

My little cousin was watching NASCAR or something in HD and even that didn't look very good.

But maybe that's just because it's NASCAR.

I have really only found it noticeable when I watch something in HD and immediately switch to not HD and then it is SOOOOOOO noticeable. I don't have an HDTV here at school but I will when I go home.

Yes....it was...it's the one in Newark Ohio...thnx ^_^

That's Best Buy for you. Everytime I go to one they try to strong arm me into buying more expensive **** when the cheaper stuff works just as well.

I guess if you didn't know the difference or at least didn't do a little net checking around, they could confuse people into wasting more money at their stores...but it's a dirty way to make money.

Don't let your grandparents go to Best Buy.

That's Best Buy for you. Everytime I go to one they try to strong arm me into buying more expensive **** when the cheaper stuff works just as well.

I guess if you didn't know the difference or at least didn't do a little net checking around, they could confuse people into wasting more money at their stores...but it's a dirty way to make money.

Don't let your grandparents go to Best Buy.
it's stories like these that make me wish that store staff STOPPED trying to be helpful.

I can't understand why To Catch a Predator wouldn't be in HD.

I wanna see every detail of that creepy guy's sweat stains. I wanna feel like a sexy decoy is offering me a glass of sweet tea.

LOST has gotta be the best (fictional) show to watch on HD for the setting alone. Oahu, Hawaii is definitely one of the most beautiful places on the planet, and I say this having seen Planet Earth (BBC).

Re: The Social Thread - It's Your Birthday!

My family got an HDTV yesterday but we don't actually have any of the HD equipment yet. And because my parents get totally worked up over trying to figure things like this out (it took us hours just to set up the damn thing), they've asked me to ask you guys what items we need.

We've got the flatscreen TV, and we have a Comcast Digital Cable box. We went to talk to a techie at a electronics store but we could tell that everything he was telling us was pure businessman talk to try to get us to buy more than we needed to. So I figured asking you guys would be much more logical. E, I know you just got one, right?

My family got an HDTV yesterday but we don't actually have any of the HD equipment yet. And because my parents get totally worked up over trying to figure things like this out (it took us hours just to set up the damn thing), they've asked me to ask you guys what items we need.

We've got the flatscreen TV, and we have a Comcast Digital Cable box. We went to talk to a techie at a electronics store but we could tell that everything he was telling us was pure businessman talk to try to get us to buy more than we needed to. So I figured asking you guys would be much more logical. E, I know you just got one, right?

I moved your post to the HDTV thread - seemed more appropriate there.

There's a couple things you need. A digital cable box might not be enough - if it isn't HD compatible then it definitely isn't. We had a digital box and it wasn't HD compatible - we had to get an HD compatible box. We ended up just renting ours from Charter because it is also an HD DVR.

I'm not sure how Comcast works, but with Charter the basic network HD channels are part of the digital package. So if we had bought an HD compatible receiver we would have gotten NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, and PBS in HD. We opted for the next level of programming because it is only an additional $6.95/mo, and that gives us ESPN, ESPN2, FOX Sports, TNT and I think a couple of others as well as 2 generic HD channels.

Then if you want to play movies you will need either an HDDVD player or a BluRay player. I opted for HDDVD for two reasons - there was a great sale on the XBOX 360 HDDVD drive, and it *seems* to me like HDDVD is going to win out over BluRay. Plus the BluRay players were all ridiculously expensive.

If you have those two things - and HD receiver and an HD disc player (whichever format you decide to go with), you are all set. The only thing that you are limited by is how many channels your cable provider offers in HD.

I moved your post to the HDTV thread - seemed more appropriate there.

There's a couple things you need. A digital cable box might not be enough - if it isn't HD compatible then it definitely isn't. We had a digital box and it wasn't HD compatible - we had to get an HD compatible box. We ended up just renting ours from Charter because it is also an HD DVR.

I'm not sure how Comcast works, but with Charter the basic network HD channels are part of the digital package. So if we had bought an HD compatible receiver we would have gotten NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, and PBS in HD. We opted for the next level of programming because it is only an additional $6.95/mo, and that gives us ESPN, ESPN2, FOX Sports, TNT and I think a couple of others as well as 2 generic HD channels.

Then if you want to play movies you will need either an HDDVD player or a BluRay player. I opted for HDDVD for two reasons - there was a great sale on the XBOX 360 HDDVD drive, and it *seems* to me like HDDVD is going to win out over BluRay. Plus the BluRay players were all ridiculously expensive.

If you have those two things - and HD receiver and an HD disc player (whichever format you decide to go with), you are all set. The only thing that you are limited by is how many channels your cable provider offers in HD.

Thanks, E. We've now got HDTV channels (I cannot wait for new LOST episodes!!), but we're gonna wait another year or two for the DVD upgrade. :D

Thanks, E. We've now got HDTV channels (I cannot wait for new LOST episodes!!), but we're gonna wait another year or two for the DVD upgrade. :D

That's not a bad idea until it's a little more clear which format is going to win. A lot of people are doing that...that's why there isn't a clear "winner" yet.

In other words, you're contributing to the problem. :D

That's not a bad idea until it's a little more clear which format is going to win. A lot of people are doing that...that's why there isn't a clear "winner" yet.

In other words, you're contributing to the problem. :D

I've seen ads for the LG DVD player that plays both Blu-Ray and HDDVD. Is that a scam or does it just cost a lot more?

I've seen ads for the LG DVD player that plays both Blu-Ray and HDDVD. Is that a scam or does it just cost a lot more?

They work as far as I know so it's not a scam, but they are expensive.

PS3 on an HDTV via HDMI is amazing.

Latest posts

Back