Heaven and Hell: Epic Book(s) Discussion

ShaggyMarco

Hrmm...let's see here.

I guess the epic discussion should start with Paradise Lost and go from there.

People who are interested, start reading that. I will look at my schedule over the course of the next few months and see what I can put together.

Re: Do we need a book forum?

I had initially slacked off on doing anything about this until we got a book forum as there was obvious need for one...but here I go!

Heaven vs. Hell: Divine Servitude or Mortal Freedom? Blessed Order or Wild Sin?

Okay, the read order will be:

Paradise Lost (John Milton)
The Marriage of Heaven and Hell (William Blake)
The Great Divorce (C.S. Lewis)
Northern Lights (Phillip Pullman)
The Subtle Knife (Phillip Pullman)
The Amber Spyglass (Phillip Pullman)

This may take a year to get through with good discussion. I'm okay with that.

We can start with small chunks.

What do you say we go 2 weeks to have Chapter 1 read, and then discuss a chapter a week thereafter. That way we can have Paradise Lost read and discussed in 3 months.

Marriage of heaven and hell is very short. We could probably divide the 26 Plates over 3-4 weeks.

We can see what the pace is like from there.

What do you think and who is with me?

Also, Should this be it's own thread?

This may take a year to get through with good discussion. I'm okay with that.

We can start with small chunks.

What do you say we go 2 weeks to have Chapter 1 read, and then discuss a chapter a week thereafter. That way we can have Paradise Lost read and discussed in 3 months.

Marriage of heaven and hell is very short. We could probably divide the 26 Plates over 3-4 weeks.

We can see what the pace is like from there.

What do you think and who is with me?
Well, I'm on board. I'm partway through Paradise Lost, so I should be able to finish that in time to start. When we had reading for English in high school, I used to read the whole book early on in the discussion, and then go back and re-read the assigned section. I'm going to try and do that here, too. I just think it helps to see how the pieces fit into the whole work. Of course, sometimes it also gives away cliff-hangers and mysteries, too.

Also, Should this be it's own thread?
Yes. Once we get an idea of who's going to be in on this, I can split posts off into a separate thread and re-name it so everyone knows we've started the actual discussion. I'd like to keep the titles and schedule near the beginning of the thread, though, so that information is available to everyone up front.

Well, I got lots to say about those Phillip Pullman books, the subtle knife and the Amber Spyglass.

I say each one deserves its on thread, and be marked Spoilers, so if someone hasn't read a book, they can aviod the thread until they do.

I book I would like to throw out there is To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis.

Last edited:

I'm all for a discussion on His Dark Materials, A Song of Fire and Ice, Discworld, and Dune whenever people want to start them.

Latest posts

Back